CJ Spillers increased role in offense?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have had small O lines and then large O lines, back again and again. small and quick is usually better for spread offence since the guards and tackles can get out and block. We are now in our big bruisers phase again, that means road graders, straight ahead blocking and in my view not pro CJ for multiple positions for him. He will not likely see the old Chan style of trying to get him the ball in many positions, but, for getting him into the secondary and open field may be best inside the tackles. I am concerned he cannot stop jumping outside as he likes with this new line.

"Run him til he pukes!"...or until we realize he can't run between the tackles and then put Fred in.

But seriously, give this guy the ball in space! Spread the field and give him the ball on screens, reverses, counters, etc. if their "big plan" is to run him on dives between the tackles then they are wasting his talent

I hope Hackett finds a way to get him in space consistently. Turn on some of Chan's old offense and take a lesson from how he used Spiller. However, we have more beef up front than what we had with Chan, so it might be an issue of athletisim on the offensive line. Either way, get Spiller the ball in space please!!!

Just so we are clear, Misuse means expecting him to ever pick up a blitz or provide any sort of pass protection, expecting he not run into his own linemen, and acting surprised when he won't take the tough 4 yds inside instead of bouncing for - 2 seeking that once a game +60...

I like the guy but his game is so incomplete, if he's on the field you are either sweeping left or running a screen.

I'm hoping there is truth in the WGR article, as I was very diissappointed in his role last year.

I never understood the all runs up the middle for CJ.

"never understood the runs up the middle for CJ" That's because hack-it is in way over his head. If he doesn't get out of college level play calling they are screwed yet again with CJ. Like others have said, expect the box to be stacked daring EJ to go long which he won't do. Funny, the second stringer at least had the balls to let it rip last year. CJ will surely bolt after this season if he doesn't have decent play calling utilizing his talent.

Just so we are clear, Misuse means expecting him to ever pick up a blitz or provide any sort of pass protection, expecting he not run into his own linemen, and acting surprised when he won't take the tough 4 yds inside instead of bouncing for - 2 seeking that once a game +60...

I like the guy but his game is so incomplete, if he's on the field you are either sweeping left or running a screen.

And, we didn't see any screens last year!

Until later in the year. So, that is good because the coaching staff did finally adapt.

Hackett's play calling was by the far the most disappointing aspect of the new coaching staff. When you have a weapon like Spiller, you have to have plays that take advantage of his strengths. That is what separates the good coaches from the bad ones: the bad ones try to force feed what they want to do on their players while the good ones adapt their scheme to their player's strengths.

They did begin to show signs of change towards the end at least. I also think the Bryce Brown trade was significant. . He will be their main inside guy with Fred and Spiller will have a more diverse role. Spiller also needs to be used in the passing game a lot more; 50 receptions should be his floor

And, we didn't see any screens last year!

Until later in the year. So, that is good because the coaching staff did finally adapt.

Que up some of the early games last year, starting against the Pats* in week 1. We attempted several screens and they got blown up because our QB and Oline execution was horrendous. We were just plain bad at it. No wonder Hackett put them on the shelf for a while.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Long story short, if Spiller can't learn to hit a damn hole and GO instead of misreading his blocks, and getting confused in the backfield, this is his last year as a Bill. Look at the guys brought in. both can hit the hole and go esp. up the middle and Brown is very fast and can hit the perimeter.

I know fans cling to certain players, but it is clear this staff says its time to crap or get off the pot performance wise. Spiller needs to quit pulling himself off the field and be more constant not just hitting the long run here and there

Spiller needs to earn his time. On any lesser of a team with lesser competition he may not have to but if he wants to get on the field in Buffalo he needs to earn it.

His role won't change much this year until he proves he can take more on his plate. I see no reason why we simply just don't convert him to an X-back and play him mostly in the slot at WR.

He can't get space in the backfield on a collapsing pocket and that is not just his fault. He is predictable. CJ gets the ball cut him off and the he bounces outside. Converge 3 steps beyond the LOS and you stop him

#justrunthedamnball

Long story short, if Spiller can't learn to hit a damn hole and GO instead of misreading his blocks, and getting confused in the backfield, this is his last year as a Bill. Look at the guys brought in. both can hit the hole and go esp. up the middle and Brown is very fast and can hit the perimeter.

I know fans cling to certain players, but it is clear this staff says its time to crap or get off the pot performance wise. Spiller needs to quit pulling himself off the field and be more constant not just hitting the long run here and there

sell said. And I'll add to it. Who the hell really cares if CJ goes after this year if he hails another year like he did last year?

People always want to bring up how they should use him like Chan did. Why??? He had 1 single solid year under Chan. The rest were just as terrible as last year under Hackett. And besides, if he can't adapt to the way our offense is supposed to be, why bother with him??? Isn't that why we just traded Stevie?

People need to get a grip sometimes. Attached to certain players is correct. This kid has barely shown anything IMO. And of he craps out again this year, regardless how they use him, it shows me that he's not worth a big contract. You know who gets big contracts? Guys that are dominant no matter what happens, who their coach is, every year. CJ hasn't shown any of that.

I didn't read the whole thread so this may already have been stated but I did read the article. I think CJ can be used a lot like Sproles in NO. Then you have Jackson and Brown not to mention Dixon to pound the rock. Exciting. Teams will be so worried about CJ and Sammy, you will have all kinds of options.

sell said. And I'll add to it. Who the hell really cares if CJ goes after this year if he hails another year like he did last year?

People always want to bring up how they should use him like Chan did. Why??? He had 1 single solid year under Chan. The rest were just as terrible as last year under Hackett. And besides, if he can't adapt to the way our offense is supposed to be, why bother with him??? Isn't that why we just traded Stevie?

People need to get a grip sometimes. Attached to certain players is correct. This kid has barely shown anything IMO. And of he craps out again this year, regardless how they use him, it shows me that he's not worth a big contract. You know who gets big contracts? Guys that are dominant no matter what happens, who their coach is, every year. CJ hasn't shown any of that.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. "1 single solid season"; Averaging 6.0 ypc on over 200 carries is spectacular. Do you know how many of the top 20 RB's in yardage last season averaged 6.0 ypc? None of them did. How about 5.5 ypc? Zero again. Well how about 5.0 ypc? Just 3 players: LeSean McCoy, Jamall Charles, and DeMarco Murray.

He had over 1700 yards from scrimmage and 8 TD's that season. Those are spectacular numbers.

Guess what CJ "1 year, not even a, wonder- according to you" Spiller career average is... 5.1 ypc

The hate this kid receives is irrational. He is one of the most explosive players in the NFL. This isn't 1972 anymore: Not every back is going slam up the middle and run LB's over.

Why wouldn't you want to steal some ideas from Gailey's offense when he got that type of production out of a player? 6.0 ypc is almost unheard of production yet you just want to rush him out the door. I don't understand the fascination with pigeon holing players to fit a certain scheme; that's just bad coaching. I would fault Hackett for failing to utilize such an explosive talent then blaming Spiller for a coach's terrible play calling.

I didn't read the whole thread so this may already have been stated but I did read the article. I think CJ can be used a lot like Sproles in NO. Then you have Jackson and Brown not to mention Dixon to pound the rock. Exciting. Teams will be so worried about CJ and Sammy, you will have all kinds of options.

I've been saying this about CJ since he was drafted. Gailey did indeed use him like that a bit, but Marrone Hackett seemed clueless what to do with him last year. Marrone went as far as to laugh off his abilities as a pass catcher. Spiller will only go as far as Hackett/Marrone let him.

The other problem is Spiller himself, will he actually be able to stay on the field for more than 2 plays at a time before taking himself out? He has done this every year as a pro, under Gailey, and Hackett/Marrone. I'd imagine that's part of the reason why the Bills loaded up with Brown and Dixon.

One big positive though, the Bills seriously addressed the Oline this year with huge run blocking guys. If even a few of them pan out, this should help the run game in a big way. Especially Kouandjio.

Unfortunately I believe this is all true. As far as hitting the hole, I think it's pretty clear that Spiller will never have that great vision and especially patience that other RB's do. He needs big holes to be opened for him, and a game plan that gets him in space. If he gets those things, he still has a chance to be a game changer.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. "1 single solid season"; Averaging 6.0 ypc on over 200 carries is spectacular. Do you know how many of the top 20 RB's in yardage last season averaged 6.0 ypc? None of them did. How about 5.5 ypc? Zero again. Well how about 5.0 ypc? Just 3 players: LeSean McCoy, Jamall Charles, and DeMarco Murray.

He had over 1700 yards from scrimmage and 8 TD's that season. Those are spectacular numbers.

Guess what CJ "1 year, not even a, wonder- according to you" Spiller career average is... 5.1 ypc

The hate this kid receives is irrational. He is one of the most explosive players in the NFL. This isn't 1972 anymore: Not every back is going slam up the middle and run LB's over.

Why wouldn't you want to steal some ideas from Gailey's offense when he got that type of production out of a player? 6.0 ypc is almost unheard of production yet you just want to rush him out the door. I don't understand the fascination with pigeon holing players to fit a certain scheme; that's just bad coaching. I would fault Hackett for failing to utilize such an explosive talent then blaming Spiller for a coach's terrible play calling.

Spiller put together a pretty solid 2011, too, especially after Freddy got hurt and he carried more of the load.

The biggest difference in the Gailey/Hackett offenses with regard to the running game is much less use of zone blocking schemes. Marrone is just more of a hat on hat guy. And we can look for that to continue given the kind of OL personnel brought in this year.

GO BILLS!!!

300, 600, 1,200 is hardly stellar. Even the 900+ yards he got last year is miserable. You can look at YPC all you want. But it doesn't mean anything if your not putting up solid yards in the end. Even 1,200 yards is barely a good season. Break that up into yards per game and tell me if that's really good. Think about it in fantasy standards if you think that'll help. But CJ has produced the following averaged per game.

2010: 17.69 yards per game with 0 TDs

2011: 35.06 yards per game with .25 TDs

2012: 77.75 yards per game with .38 TDs

2013: 58.31 yards per game with .13 TDs

Hardly stellar. If you had that in a fantasy back, he would be your 3rd or 4th option. Solid backs produce no matter what offense they are in. No matter who they're offensive coordinators are.

http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.spiller/497204/careerstats

Edited by mrags