Help Choosing a Deck: Plastic or Wood?

TSNBDSC

We did a mix because of the cost. I used a synthetic called lumber rock for all the floor boards. I was convinced it was better than other composites, like trex.

I found it was cheaper to then use cedar for the railings and a pergola and then used black metal rods for the slats. So, basically, I only have to re-stain railings (and pergola) and everything else is maintenance free.

Two things to look out for with composites:

1) certain dark composites in direct sunlight can get REALLY hot. Generally (but not universally), the more expensive composites have better thermal properties. Your best bet is to get a couple samples, leave them out, and see how they react to the environment you're going to use them in.

2) It used to be that your cheap composite materials would ultimately degrade in direct sunlight - not just fade, but physically degrade. I don't know if this is still a problem (I don't recall ever hearing about Trex having that issue, for example), but it's good to ask - it would really suck to just assume, then have your deck become brittle and unusable after 5 years.

I don't know why anyone would use wood...it looks like **** after a few years and is a B word to maintain...composite looks great

Some people like the way wood weathers.

Not my wife, unfortunately...

I have a deck of the "original" TREX. It has some wood fiber in it and it grows mold and mildew thus requiring thorough cleaning once a year at least. Be sure current generation of composite has anti-mildew/mold properties to save yourself many chores.

Im wondering if wood needs to be stained and sealed every year. Power washed too ?

I don't know why anyone would use wood...it looks like **** after a few years and is a B word to maintain...composite looks great

Im guessing youve had a wood deck ! Do you have composite now ?

Decking has come a long way in the last 5-10 years. I don't really have a timeline on it, so just ball parking.

It used to be that you had to get treated criso wood and that was just brutal. Then came other treated woods and those did ok but with better water sealers and proper care you can really do good with a wood deck. I've seen many, many of them last 20-30 years. It is all about keeping them freshly primed, treated, and some times painted.

To say wood looks like crap after a few years means you went to Lowes and got whatever you could find cheap. Go to a lumber yard or building contractor supply place. You'll save money and be in the guidance of much more educated men and women.

Also, they have new products which basically revive even the worst of wood decks. I have a wooden deck currently and seldom use it, but if I did, I would use whatever that stuff is that I cannot remember that basically keeps it from chipping and breaking to make splinters and more.

To go composite simply because wood doesn't look good - well, that's just unpossible.

#wooddecks

My deck is going on almost 20 years. I used those concrete piers (ones that will support a 4x4 post and/or 2x6 joists) that float right on the ground... Didn't even attach it to the house, just butts right up against it. It isn't too high off the ground, maybe a couple of feet w/two steps. I did the under structure in pressure treated lumber and the face, railing, steps, and decking in western red cedar. I never really touched it in almost 20 years... Just let it gray out to its natural color. Still holding up great and I shovel it all the time in the winter. The pier system works perfect, still level as day one. The great thing, it is not a permanent structure.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My deck is going on almost 20 years. I used those concrete piers (ones that will support a 4x4 post and/or 2x6 joists) that float right on the ground... Didn't even attach it to the house, just butts right up against it. It isn't too high off the ground, maybe a couple of feet w/two steps. I did the under structure in pressure treated lumber and the face, railing, steps, and decking in western red cedar. I never really touched it in almost 20 years... Just let it gray out to its natural color. Still holding up great and I shovel it all the time in the winter. The pier system works perfect, still level as day one. The great thing, it is not a permanent structure.

Actually the way you built your deck especially not attaching it is too California code anyways. Also you must install flashing between the deck and the structure. Personally I hate the look of trex and pressure treated wood. Pressure treated wood also has possible undesirable effects. We used sustainably grown hardwood (IPA I think) and I like Port Orford cedar. But, where one lives obviously determines cost. If you want a greyed out look no need to put anything on cedar. The hardwood is maintainence heavy but looks great.

There is also a system where everything is screws from the bottom. Forgot the name, obviously the deck had to be high enough to crawl under. The look is great. We also used stainless fasteners on everything. These decks will easily last a couple decades.

Decking has come a long way in the last 5-10 years. I don't really have a timeline on it, so just ball parking.

It used to be that you had to get treated criso wood and that was just brutal. Then came other treated woods and those did ok but with better water sealers and proper care you can really do good with a wood deck. I've seen many, many of them last 20-30 years. It is all about keeping them freshly primed, treated, and some times painted.

To say wood looks like crap after a few years means you went to Lowes and got whatever you could find cheap. Go to a lumber yard or building contractor supply place. You'll save money and be in the guidance of much more educated men and women.

Also, they have new products which basically revive even the worst of wood decks. I have a wooden deck currently and seldom use it, but if I did, I would use whatever that stuff is that I cannot remember that basically keeps it from chipping and breaking to make splinters and more.

To go composite simply because wood doesn't look good - well, that's just unpossible.

#wooddecks

After the wood deck is installed do I need to wash it ? Use a power washer ? Then stain tand seal it ? Hose it down during the year ? Wash it in the winter months ? Itll be in a mostly shaded area.

After the wood deck is installed do I need to wash it ? Use a power washer ? Then stain tand seal it ? Hose it down during the year ? Wash it in the winter months ? Itll be in a mostly shaded area.

nah, you don't power wash it right away and you really shouldn't power wash it at all, especially if you stain and water treat it. Using a light nozzle to get some spots of mildew isn't going to kill it, though.

Generally, you just restain and seal it every year. They make special soaps for woods, as well, to help wash it. Simply sweeping it and keeping debris off will help more then you'd ever believe.

We put Ipe on our back porch/deck a few years ago, replacing composite. Cost almost double the composite, but so far has. Even well worth it.

http://m.us.wsj.com/...357384?mobile=y

Ipe is a great wood - I'm making a front door out of it.

Another one is Jarrah. It can be tough to find (at least when I've tried), and pricey, and a B word to work...but it lasts forever, and is resistant to everything short of a flamethrower. It's like teak on steroids.

Actually the way you built your deck especially not attaching it is too California code anyways. Also you must install flashing between the deck and the structure. Personally I hate the look of trex and pressure treated wood. Pressure treated wood also has possible undesirable effects. We used sustainably grown hardwood (IPA I think) and I like Port Orford cedar. But, where one lives obviously determines cost. If you want a greyed out look no need to put anything on cedar. The hardwood is maintainence heavy but looks great.

There is also a system where everything is screws from the bottom. Forgot the name, obviously the deck had to be high enough to crawl under. The look is great. We also used stainless fasteners on everything. These decks will easily last a couple decades.

http://www.grabberman.com/CatBrowser.aspx?pkey=sKT%2fW5%2bT14JjDgMJa8D6LZ1dZKMJMbII9k98PNCN8%2fU%3d&pval=oj3Wj32k0KoohYhOpCq8%2fg%3d%3d&pIds=bTt%2fqrDlbuPJAFwFI99Ui1dj%2f8fHfhHQrwBRjpPu54Q%3d

I used Deck Master with Trex when I built my deck about 15 years ago. The nicest thing about the Deck Master was that the screws were self-tapping so it went into the composite like a knife through butter. I lightly pressure wash it once a year and it still looks as good as the day I installed it. Before I decked it, I treated the wood with log cabin oil and let it dry for a week. I retreated the visible surfaces a couple of years ago.

Brazilian Steel Wood. Beautiful and will last forever. Not exactly eco-friendly though

Otherwise known as...Ipe.

And it's not even listed in the CITES appendicies, so it's about as eco-friendly as it gets (no one on the planet considers it endangered). To top that off, odds are it's plantation-grown if you're buying it in the US.

Dude, it's a pain in the neck. You can either let it go, or just spring for composite.

Dude, it's a pain in the neck. You can either let it go, or just spring for composite.

That's why I went with cedar and just let it go... The pressure treated under structure will basically last forever. It looks great natural gray. What's the cost premium of composite over wood? What are all the consequences? What do you do with it if you ever want to get rid of it? The untreated cedar can be burned. Back to the cost premium vs. years of service.