Congrats to Michael Sam

Gugny

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure your son will be able to handle it, and Michael Sam has not made it your problem. The way he will handle it will be based on the way you handle it -- either by following your example or by rejecting it as he sees other people who just happen to be gay leading very normal lives.

It was about as much kissing as you see in a wedding, and you see more brazen moral conduct in a CBS promo during a cutaway for a game. I mean, I'd rather not explain why someone is jumping out of a coffin with a submachine gun during mid-day national programming, either.

He wasn't in front of the whole world, btw, he was in the privacy of his home and the media were allowed in to capture the moment.

Sure thing. Among them congrats to a guy who a decade ago would not have had the courage to be himself, and may possibly not have been drafted due to whispers and suspicion.

He has a tough road ahead, like all 7th round draft picks.

We'll never know but he may not have been drafted at all had he not been gay. Looking at his film and combine #'s this guy is simply not NFL material. All IMO but I'm glad bills didn't waste a pick on him, and it has nothing to do with his orientation

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

We'll never know but he may not have been drafted at all had he not been gay. Looking at his film and combine #'s this guy is simply not NFL material. All IMO but I'm glad bills didn't waste a pick on him, and it has nothing to do with his orientation

Personally, I won't might the Bills taking the SEC sack leader with a 7th round pick. It's as good of gamble as any that late.

We'll never know but I find it hard to believe that Jeff Fisher would waste a draft pick.

Personally, I won't might the Bills taking the SEC sack leader with a 7th round pick. It's as good of gamble as any that late.

We both know guys with illustrious sounding college records that didn't translate into a pro career are a dime a dozen, so why even go there. I like our 7th round pick strategy a lot more ... If henderson gets his act together at least you know he has all the physical attributes to excel as his position. Sam .... sorry I'm not seeing it. And BTW I like Sam as a person, seems like a good guy. So again its nothing personal.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

We both know guys with illustrious sounding college records that didn't translate into a pro career are a dime a dozen, so why even go there. I like our 7th round pick strategy a lot more ... If Henderson gets his act together at least you know he has all the physical attributes to excel as his position. Sam .... sorry I'm not seeing it. And BTW I like Sam as a person, seems like a good guy. So again its nothing personal.

Agreed with all this. I'm just saying it's not a wild thing to hope a guy who showed it on the field in the best conference in football might just be a gamer and not good at the underpants olympics.

We both know guys with illustrious sounding college records that didn't translate into a pro career are a dime a dozen, so why even go there. I like our 7th round pick strategy a lot more ... If Henderson gets his act together at least you know he has all the physical attributes to excel as his position. Sam .... sorry I'm not seeing it. And BTW I like Sam as a person, seems like a good guy. So again its nothing personal.

That's a totally fair assessment and one that a lot of teams share (and I won't even suggest they are cloaking some bigotry in their analysis as others have -- it's unfair without their perspective represented).

I do think it's interesting that Fisher, one of the more consistently successful defensive minds of the past 20 years, took him on - and his DL coach is well-regarded in the league.

He may not make it out of camp. We'll see.

That's a totally fair assessment and one that a lot of teams share (and I won't even suggest they are cloaking some bigotry in their analysis as others have -- it's unfair without their perspective represented).

I do think it's interesting that Fisher, one of the more consistently successful defensive minds of the past 20 years, took him on - and his DL coach is well-regarded in the league.

good point. And they might have the best pass rushers in the NFL, so they know talent there.

At the same time, Fisher does have a moustache, so you never know. I kid, I kid. :)

If he only wants to be judged by his game then he shouldn't have kissed his boyfriend in front of the whole world. I don't care what he does in private but to openly flaunt his homosexuality makes me want to puke an it's not something I want to explain to my son. If my words upset someone then so be it.

do you find the harder part to be explaining that all types of people can love each other, or why he should feel violently ill because of it?

hes as good a flyer to take as any other. he has his question marks, but his play has earned him atleast a chance. he was often regarded as a day 3 prospect going into this and thats where he ended up.

Bingo. I guess two threads about Sam wasn't enough. Let's see if this thread is closed or merged as has been the strict practice all draft weekend long.

I searched for Sam before posting this. Yahtzee!

Really? Would anyone be talking glowingly about the Rams (or Fisher) 7th round pick if it was not Sam?

People don't talk glowingly about any team's 7th round draft picks. They are all longshot horses. But I'd bet on Fisher's 7th round pick before I'd bet on the Jags' or the Browns'.

Are people really talking glowingly about the pick itself, anyway? I've mentioned several times that the kid has his work cut out for him. Sociologically speaking it's a big moment but in football terms he is officially just a guy right now until he proves otherwise.

People don't talk glowingly about any team's 7th round draft picks. They are all longshot horses. But I'd bet on Fisher's 7th round pick before I'd bet on the Jags' or the Browns'.

Are people really talking glowingly about the pick itself, anyway? I've mentioned several times that the kid has his work cut out for him. Sociologically speaking it's a big moment but in football terms he is officially just a guy right now until he proves otherwise.

Of course they are.

And how can you say "he's just a guy right now"? He's a symbol, there's no way around it. His making a roster would be historic. Everyone is watching....

Of course they are.

And how can you say "he's just a guy right now"? He's a symbol, there's no way around it. His making a roster would be historic. Everyone is watching....

Because in football terms that's what he is, just a guy trying to make the roster. I do not think that Jeff Fisher is going to be swayed in his decision by the historic nature of it unless he really has Sam and another player viewed as 100% equal in their ability to contribute to the team (which is nearly impossible).

Of course they are.

In other words, he's gay first, a football player second.

Good for Michael Sam. He has the stones to come out and say he is gay. And I am happy he was drafted. Unfortunately for him in the NFL he is a tweener that doesn't fit any clearly defined NFL role. He is sort of an Aaron Maybin type without the speed.

Edited by joemac