next year's picks

Blech Rpts base URL + /articles/2003927-nfl-compensatory-picks-2014-rules-formula-explanation-and-latest-projections/

The basic philosophy of compensatory picks is that franchises that lost more free agents than they signed in the previous year will be awarded draft selections to make up for the losses, according to previously released documents fromNFL.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_draft#Compensatory_picks/

Compensatory picks[edit]

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

Blech Rpts base URL + /articles/2003927-nfl-compensatory-picks-2014-rules-formula-explanation-and-latest-projections/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_draft#Compensatory_picks/

Thanks matt - there are sometimes subtleties around the fringe on who qualifies, and what round tends to follow average salary pretty closely but since the cut off isn't announced it takes a bit of projection. You'll normally see the better guys projections hit 25-30 picks exact, with 3-4 being just on the other side of a round cut off, and maybe 1-2 guys that may not qualify based on various issues but for the broad strokes

Sign more get nothing, equal it's a 7 at most, and if you lose more start matching up your signings/loses and then slot the guys not cancelled out based on average salary. EVERY signing gets a matching loss regardless of dollars, hence value doesn't much matter til you have a net volume lost.

Edited by NoSaint

I see - quality matters, but only after a simple plus minus calculation for the number of FAs. So technically, you could lose 3 pro bowl players to huge contracts elsewhere and sign 4 special team scrubs, and you wouldn't get any picks?

As long as those scrubs qualify, yup. Even if it was 3 to 3 you'd only be eligible for a single 7 (probably the best 7th of the teams that were net zero guys though, since quality matters then too!)

I'm going to assume for a second that stevie has a solid year and his pick becomes a 3. Next year, the bills should end up with the following:

One second rounder

3 third rounders (one normal one; one comp for Byrd because we did not match him with an equivalent FA; and one for Stevie.

0 fourth rounders

2 fifth rounders

1 sixth rounder

1 seventh rounder

That's 8 picks, and four in rounds 2 and 3. For those who criticize the Watkins trade because it kills our draft next season, I ask you to consider the evidence.

Great job by Whaley.

Stevie will be the third WR on the depth chart for the 49ers behind Boldin and Crabtree. They have also drafted Lattimore. I just don't see how he gets enough touches to upgrade that pick. It will remain 4th round.

Stevie will be the third WR on the depth chart for the 49ers behind Boldin and Crabtree. They have also drafted Lattimore. I just don't see how he gets enough touches to upgrade that pick. It will remain 4th round.

Impossible to predict. One of the four is likely to get injured; we just don't know which one. The niners got him because they think he can help them get to the next level, which is super bowl victor. They're in win now mode.

It's an ATM machine for them, can't blame them for starting the hype machine before the draft is even over...

I HATE this comment. ATM means Automated Teller Machine. So, saying ATM machine is saying Automated Teller Machine Machine. HATE IT! You are dumb, suck it!

@MarkdominikESPN

You think this was an exciting draft class? Wait until 2015, top 10 to be dominated by better QB's, multiple elite pass rusher and big DT's

This is exactly what they told everyone last year and yet the 1st QB who went off the board was neither named Bridgewater or Manziel.

I'm going to assume for a second that stevie has a solid year and his pick becomes a 3. Next year, the bills should end up with the following:

One second rounder

3 third rounders (one normal one; one comp for Byrd because we did not match him with an equivalent FA; and one for Stevie.

0 fourth rounders

2 fifth rounders

1 sixth rounder

1 seventh rounder

That's 8 picks, and four in rounds 2 and 3. For those who criticize the Watkins trade because it kills our draft next season, I ask you to consider the evidence.

Great job by Whaley.

State of the 2015 draft

The Bills made a handful of trades in the 2014 NFL draft, some of which affected their pick total in 2015. Here’s a look at where things stand right now.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz