Cleveland Browns' Draft Picks

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why a 22 yr old kid who just received a contract on a holiday weekend went out and had some fun legally in Vegas on his down time. What do you want him to study the playbook the whole Memorial Day weekend?

Now I believe he will be a flop in the NFL for a variety of reasons including his genetics, his lack of ability to make his progressions, and these NFL defenders are going to plaster him on the grass.

As to the rest of the draft, they seemed to have a good draft other than why they wouldn't pick a receiver in a WR deep draft when they were losing Gordon for the year.

I don't know why a 22 yr old kid who just received a contract on a holiday weekend went out and had some fun legally in Vegas on his down time. What do you want him to study the playbook the whole Memorial Day weekend?

Now I believe he will be a flop in the NFL for a variety of reasons including his genetics, his lack of ability to make his progressions, and these NFL defenders are going to plaster him on the grass.

As to the rest of the draft, they seemed to have a good draft other than why they wouldn't pick a receiver in a WR deep draft when they were losing Gordon for the year

To your first statement / question: the answer is YES! If as a GM / Owner I've just spent a first round pick on my QB of the future, yes, yes, yes...I want him in the playbook, in the training room, abso-freakin-lutely committed to being the very best on the field at all times....now, if this were Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady, or one of the Mannings, no, my expectations wouldn't even come close to that...but you're a Rookie QB trying to show you have the leadership and maturity to be the NFL Franchise QB for a struggling team and need to command the players' respect just as much as anything else...and you can argue that such respect will come on the field, and I agree...ONCE he gets ON the field, but until then, *THIS* is all they have to go by...once you've accomplished something, you can act like you've arrived but until then, you need to keep your head down and work at it...also, don't tell me Cleveland doesn't have a ton of things to do on Memorial Day weekend...Vegas, it is not, but that's a good thing...JMO

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were I would bet that Watkins spent a good deal of the weekend focused on his new job......probably EJ as well. Manziel is certainly allowed to do what he likes, and as you pointed out it is pretty normal behaviour.....but it isn't a normal job that he is getting paid for and he certainly won't garner any respect from it, nor will it help him in his new profession.

Edited by Dibs

To your first statement / question: the answer is YES! If as a GM / Owner I've just spent a first round pick on my QB of the future, yes, yes, yes...I want him in the playbook, in the training room, abso-freakin-lutely committed to being the very best on the field at all times....now, if this were Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady, or one of the Mannings, no, my expectations wouldn't even come close to that...but you're a Rookie QB trying to show you have the leadership and maturity to be the NFL Franchise QB for a struggling team and need to command the players' respect just as much as anything else...and you can argue that such respect will come on the field, and I agree...ONCE he gets ON the field, but until then, *THIS* is all they have to go by...once you've accomplished something, you can act like you've arrived but until then, you need to keep your head down and work at it...also, don't tell me Cleveland doesn't have a ton of things to do on Memorial Day weekend...Vegas, it is not, but that's a good thing...JMO

i mean, his first year at A&M while slotted to be the backup he was arrested, and went on to win the heisman - so its possible itll be no distraction to him.

Or in my opinion, more likely, that he will think he can still get away with stuff because it hasnt caught up to him yet - and that will be a tough lesson to learn at this level. you dont get many chances and theres bound to be some adversity even for the most well prepared. no need to seek out extra distractions.

i mean, his first year at A&M while slotted to be the backup he was arrested, and went on to win the heisman - so its possible itll be no distraction to him.

Or in my opinion, more likely, that he will think he can still get away with stuff because it hasnt caught up to him yet - and that will be a tough lesson to learn at this level. you dont get many chances and theres bound to be some adversity even for the most well prepared. no need to seek out extra distractions.

He was drafted by the Padres this weekend so he has a back-up plan.

In his sophmore season he had the autograph scandal, the NCAA trying to bury him, and was benched by his coach and still had an excellent season. The kid definitely likes cause himself a lot of unnecessary stress but you'd never know it on game day.

The true test of his mental makeup will come when he finally gets on the field. How will he respond when he falls on his face? And he will.

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were I would bet that Watkins spent a good deal of the weekend focused on his new job......probably EJ as well. Manziel is certainly allowed to do what he likes, and as you pointed out it is pretty normal behaviour.....but it isn't a normal job that he is getting paid for and he certainly won't garner any respect from it, nor will it help him in his new profession.

I'd bet you a million bucks Watkins went out partying. Same with EJ.

And yet none of the others are now answering to riding a swan. Weird how some guys figure out the balance there. It's almost like 1 guy seeks out negative attention.

Nah. Watkins was with the rookies for their appearance at Canalside Fri night. and was at Encore with Woods and Goodwin Sat night. Supposedly he was just chilling on the patio.This according to Twitter. EJ worked Marcus Easley's kids camp all weekend in CT. Kevin Elliott and a couple others were there too and some of them went to NYC that night but EJ wasn't there. Not that it matters, but none of them ended up on an inflatable swan. Edited by YoloinOhio

As to the rest of the draft, they seemed to have a good draft other than why they wouldn't pick a receiver in a WR deep draft when they were losing Gordon for the year.

I generally agree with you but he's different. He's been called out for putting partying before football. Remember the Manning football camp? Also, how many successful rookie QBs have you seen partying so publicly?

Side note, he looks like a little kid. And it definitely looked like a good time though in general, I hate the overpaid aspect of Vegas.

Well if they did, they weren't dumb enough to send out their pics like Johnny Hobbit

Ride the wave buddy.

I think it is getting hard to laugh these things off. Don't forget that both JM's parents and his TAMU coach Kevin Sumlin recommended him for alcohol counseling last season. The Browns need to say something, either the coaching staff, vets or both. If he didn't have a history of issues it wouldn't be such a story. When Mary Kay Cabot asked him right after he was drafted if he was going to "tone it down" now that he was in the NFL, he said he didn't think he would have much time for that stuff anymore. Well, he obviously does have the time. He hasn't even signed his contract yet with the Browns.

I think it is getting hard to laugh these things off. Don't forget that both JM's parents and his TAMU coach Kevin Sumlin recommended him for alcohol counseling last season. The Browns need to say something, either the coaching staff, vets or both. If he didn't have a history of issues it wouldn't be such a story. When Mary Kay Cabot asked him right after he was drafted if he was going to "tone it down" now that he was in the NFL, he said he didn't think he would have much time for that stuff anymore. Well, he obviously does have the time. He hasn't even signed his contract yet with the Browns.

Wow, I respect this post a lot. Very level headed. It's sucks because after the Bills, I have a soft spot for Cleveland. They deserve good fortune. IMO, JM is a spoiled, entitled brat. Hopefully, he grews up because he was damn exciting in college. But it takes a lot more to make it in the pros. JP Losman came in with a cocky attitude and was hated by most of his teammates. If JM can play on this level, all this will be forgotten. But I have serious doubts.