Cleveland Browns' Draft Picks

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL: AroundTheLeague@NFL_ATL Jun 27

Manziel: I’m not going to change for anybody http://www.nfl.com/n...er_atl …

May want to change if your boss tells you to, but I just must be old school. :(

That's not the full quote.

I'm growing up and continuing to learn from my mistakes and trying not to make the same ones over and over again," Manziel said. "But am I gonna live in a shell, or am I just going to hide from everybody and not do anything? I don't think that's the way I should live my life and I'm not going to do it. I am here, I am very committed to football, I'm committed to my job, but on the weekends I'm going to enjoy my time off. I mean, I think I deserve it."

That's not the full quote.

I'm growing up and continuing to learn from my mistakes and trying not to make the same ones over and over again," Manziel said. "But am I gonna live in a shell, or am I just going to hide from everybody and not do anything? I don't think that's the way I should live my life and I'm not going to do it. I am here, I am very committed to football, I'm committed to my job, but on the weekends I'm going to enjoy my time off. I mean, I think I deserve it."

I read the whole article.

And you felt you had to present that sentence as a "no respect for authority" sentiment, when in reality it was a "I'm not going to let the media control my life" sentiment.

This is has been talked about ad nauseum here since Friday. The owner of the Browns told him to change. He has explained that he won't change, and is blaming the media for how he is portrayed. The only one responsible for how he is portrayed is himself. The media isn't going anywhere. He can either change or deal with the consequences.

This is has been talked about ad nauseum here since Friday. The owner of the Browns told him to change. He has explained that he won't change, and is blaming the media for how he is portrayed. The only one responsible for how he is portrayed is himself. The media isn't going anywhere. He can either change or deal with the consequences.

The media is totally to blame. Just because they refuse to budge doesn't mean that he should.

Besides, his "boss" who paid millions to hire an employee that 31 other companies would eventually want to hire doesn't really have the "power" in this situation. So I find your "boss" analogy a little off. It'd be different if he was a 7th round pick.

I'm already sick of hearing about JM. I don't think he will be an excellent NFL QB. He would need to learn how to go through his progressions, too small, and NFL defenders are faster so he can't just run on plays.

The Browns knew they were losing Josh Gordon, knew this was the deepest WR class in years, and they go after a CB. They already had a decent defense and needed playmakers on offense.

I have nothing against the Browns, and hopefully for my Ohio buddies am wrong. NFL Radio hosts keep touting how much better Pettine will take this team. I like Pettine, but he is going to take a step back in offense without Gordon, and JM will be a sideshow.

Personally, I can't wait to see JM get hammered by one of the top pass rushers or LB's when he's on the run. I would love to have Suggs mic'd up for that game "Welcome to the NFL Johnnie Football". That's not against the Browns, I just don't like JM for a variety of reasons.

The media is totally to blame. Just because they refuse to budge doesn't mean that he should.

Besides, his "boss" who paid millions to hire an employee that 31 other companies would eventually want to hire doesn't really have the "power" in this situation. So I find your "boss" analogy a little off. It'd be different if he was a 7th round pick.

I don't understand this viewpoint. He is absolutely accountable for his own behavior. He didn't invent the QB position. Other young QBs managed to stay out of this position because they weren't too full of themselves to understand that cameras are everywhere , the media is waiting for famous athletes to screw up. and they all need to be cognizant of that. He refuses to change because why? He feels entitled. He rolls around here with his Bro-hios who enable him and egg him on because they want a piece of his celebrity and he loves it. It is hard enough to come into the NFL and play well as a rookie QB and he has made it even harder on himself with how he handles his affairs because people now are waiting for him to fail and won't give him the benefit of the doubt. I just can't buy that the media is to blame when everyone else seems to get by just fine with it.

It may be easier for you because you aren't a Browns fan. I have a feeling from reading this board that if this were EJ Manuel in his rookie year and the late Ralph Wilson told him to tone it down after being drunk all over the place and shouting obscenities on camera and he said he wasn't going to change, you would all be lighting him up like a Christmas Tree. Your QB does everything right. Whether he succeeds on the field he won't ever be looked at as an embarrassment to the franchise.

" I mean, I think I deserve it. "

That doesn't sound promising.

But hell i am a Bills fan and have enough problems to fret over

It makes me sick. We have been waiting a long time, and this is what we get. Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

I don't understand this viewpoint. He is absolutely accountable for his own behavior. He didn't invent the QB position. Other young QBs managed to stay out of this position because they weren't too full of themselves to understand that cameras are everywhere , the media is waiting for famous athletes to screw up. and you need to be cognizant of that. He refuses to change because why? He feels entitled. He rolls around here with his Bro-hios who enable him and egg him on because they want a piece of his celebrity and he loves it. It is hard enough to come into the NFL and play well as a rookie QB and he has made it even harder on himself with how he handles his affairs because people now are waiting for him to fail and won't give him the benefit of the doubt. I just can't buy that the media is to blame when everyone else seems to get by just fine with it.

It may be easier for you because you aren't a Browns fan. I have a feeling from reading this board that if this were EJ Manuel in his rookie year and the late Ralph Wilson told him to tone it down after being drunk all over the place and shouting obscenities on camera and he said he wasn't going to change, you would all be lighting him up like a Christmas Tree. Your QB does everything right. Whether he succeeds on the field he won't ever be looked at as an embarrassment to the franchise.

It makes me sick.

Dude . I am sorry for your suffering .

I dont want to knock the Browns ever. lordy they are like brethren with all the suffering and such. And i sure do enjoy your insights and perspective on not just the Browns but the Bills.

Maybe our handwringing is all for naught. But Browns had to ge a QB and now they have alot of media attention too.

Thank goodness you have those sweet draft picks next year. I think thats the plan all along for thr Browns.

Have hope brother Rocks . even if you have to sit on your hands like we did last year. I said it before and it applies here i suspect.

Patience. and Enjoy your dominating defense !!

I don't understand this viewpoint. He is absolutely accountable for his own behavior. He didn't invent the QB position. Other young QBs managed to stay out of this position because they weren't too full of themselves to understand that cameras are everywhere , the media is waiting for famous athletes to screw up. and they all need to be cognizant of that. He refuses to change because why? He feels entitled. He rolls around here with his Bro-hios who enable him and egg him on because they want a piece of his celebrity and he loves it. It is hard enough to come into the NFL and play well as a rookie QB and he has made it even harder on himself with how he handles his affairs because people now are waiting for him to fail and won't give him the benefit of the doubt. I just can't buy that the media is to blame when everyone else seems to get by just fine with it.

It makes me sick. We have been waiting a long time, and this is what we get.

Embarrassment to the franchise? I don't mean to tread on your team, but this "my franchise is a reverent institution" nonsense is absurd. Even for the Bills it's absurd. Your owner's company was wrought with $85 million in fraud that he may have been involved in. But once Johnny Football gets drunk at a party, that sterling reputation is ruined, huh?

Let's look at some other franchises and their gold standards. Packers? Alcoholic and sexter Brett Favre. Dolphins? Marino had a kid out of wedlock like a year ago. Buffalo? Perennial losers, a younger Jim Kelly was more arrogant and more trouble than Johnny. Colts? Oh yeah, their owner had sacks of prescription drugs while drunk driving. I could go on for hours.

These franchises are sports teams. Not reverent insitiutions that command respect and honor. These guys get paid millions to play a game, as long as they play that game well, who cares?

If Johnny goes 12-4 this year and win OROY, do you think anyone will care about how he acted on a Friday night in the offseason? Will you care?

I assure you, if Jim Kelly sucked here, we'd all have hated him. But he didn't and we love him. Same with Favre and the Packers. Do your job well and nothing else matters.

And if a little media heat is the difference between Johnny being successful and Johnny not, I guess he wouldn't have been one of the most successful QB's in college history after getting in bar fights, tossed out of frat parties, suspended for selling autographs, and talked about on ESPN 24 hours a day for 6 months.

Edited by FireChan

My favorite Johnny Hollywood supporter defense is (paraphrasing): "These hall of famers were all dbags so he deserves the right to be a dbag too." I think a better comparison for Johnny would be Akili Smith, or any other highly drafted QB who had done nothing in the pros to earn any special treatment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/akili-smith-thinks-johnny-manziels-going-down-familiar-road/

I will say this. I used to be annoyed every time another story about him came out. Now, it has gotten to the point where it just cracks me up. The money phone had me laughing pretty hard. Johnny will either be a spectacular failure or spectacularly great. I tend to lean towards him being a bust, but the ride will be fun.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

It's never a positive when your owner tells the coaches to tell the player to tone it down. I don't care how nefarious the owner is in his own right, he signs the phuckin' checks.

More troubling for the swan rider are the whispers that he's pissing off some guys in the locker room. That's even worse than the owner advising the coaches to tell him to tone it down.

It'll be interesting to see if somebody goes all Troy Vincent on his ass in training camp. That'll humble him up something quick.

GO BILLS!!!

My favorite Johnny Hollywood supporter defense is (paraphrasing): "These hall of famers were all dbags so he deserves the right to be a dbag too." I think a better comparison for Johnny would be Akili Smith, or any other highly drafted QB who had done nothing in the pros to earn any special treatment.

http://profootballta...-familiar-road/

I will say this. I used to be annoyed every time another story about him came out. Now, it has gotten to the point where it just cracks me up. The money phone had me laughing pretty hard. Johnny will either be a spectacular failure or spectacularly great. I tend to lean towards him being a bust, but the ride will be fun.

He doesn't have the "right" to be a d-bag. But it's not like there haven't been successful d-bags.

My point was on his football skills. I hope for Browns fans he does well. Personally, as posted before he will have a tough time winning in this league.

As far as the Vegas trip, why does anyone care. If I were 21, just signed for millions, and had a weekend off, why not go out and have some fun with friends. He didn't break any laws. It's a real reach to say he has a problem with alcohol. How many of us tailgate on a sunday? How many of us in college or our first years after college before we met our wife went out and had fun.

Now where he is just plain stupid or has no situational self awareness, is that video cursing, the money, etc. Then his approach in response to the media is silly. Welcome to notoriety. Do you think movie stars like the paparazi? Deal with it. Say the right things, and don't post dumb videos. If you notice, no one cares Gronk was there. He's known as a fun guy, but also has shown when not hurt as one of the top 2-3 TE in the league.

I don't care if he signs marketing deals so he can drive in his own revenue early. Why? what if he can't make the transition? Make your money now like Quinn from ND did in his rookie year. Just don't try to be a lightning rod by flaunting it.

That's my two cents on this one.

He doesn't have the "right" to be a d-bag. But it's not like there haven't been successful d-bags.

I'm curious to see if we will ever see Johnny football do something you won't defend. That's when I'll really know he's gone off the rails.

I'm curious to see if we will ever see Johnny football do something you won't defend. That's when I'll really know he's gone off the rails.

In reality, it's the same "something" it always has been. A 20 year old millionaire parties every couple weekends.

In reality, it's the same "something" it always has been. A 20 year old millionaire parties every couple weekends.

The face of John Manziel is both media and reality.

neither you or I know the "reality " i would guess. A twenty year old millionaire is a rare breed . Flaunting it is a different story dont you think ?

Seems he is playing the media nicely. Can he play in the NFL ? yet to be seen.

Should be a fun year for Browns FO and Pettine

Edited by 3rdand12

Embarrassment to the franchise? I don't mean to tread on your team, but this "my franchise is a reverent institution" nonsense is absurd. Even for the Bills it's absurd. Your owner's company was wrought with $85 million in fraud that he may have been involved in. But once Johnny Football gets drunk at a party, that sterling reputation is ruined, huh?

Let's look at some other franchises and their gold standards. Packers? Alcoholic and sexter Brett Favre. Dolphins? Marino had a kid out of wedlock like a year ago. Buffalo? Perennial losers, a younger Jim Kelly was more arrogant and more trouble than Johnny. Colts? Oh yeah, their owner had sacks of prescription drugs while drunk driving. I could go on for hours.

These franchises are sports teams. Not reverent insitiutions that command respect and honor. These guys get paid millions to play a game, as long as they play that game well, who cares?

If Johnny goes 12-4 this year and win OROY, do you think anyone will care about how he acted on a Friday night in the offseason? Will you care?

I assure you, if Jim Kelly sucked here, we'd all have hated him. But he didn't and we love him. Same with Favre and the Packers. Do your job well and nothing else matters.

And if a little media heat is the difference between Johnny being successful and Johnny not, I guess he wouldn't have been one of the most successful QB's in college history after getting in bar fights, tossed out of frat parties, suspended for selling autographs, and talked about on ESPN 24 hours a day for 6 months.

Yeah, it is embarrassing regardless of what the owner's issues are. The reason is because this team has been through 20 starting QBs since 1999 when we started over. We have never had a real franchise QB that entire time. We have tried and failed, over and over again, 1st round pick after 1st round pick. We have tried the late round QB. We have tried the FA QB. We have tried the hometown hero. It is a ridiculopus exercise in futility and feels like it will NEVER ever happen. So THIS GUY is the next one we have to deal with? A 5'11 kid who played 2 years of college football, has never been able to stand in the pocket, and drinks to deal with his celebrity according to his own dad? His own father sold him out. You say he brushes off his issues and balls out, but this was the article almost one full year ago once he was back on the field:

http://espn.go.com/c...n-unselfishness

The same exact headline is still flying around today, just with different content. He isn't just any other 20 something millionaire. He is supposed to be the face of the franchise. yet he acts like a spoiled brat when anyone has the nerve to ask about his lifestyle - when every other 20 something millionaire in the NFL seems to be able to handle things just fine. This one couldn't even be bothered to go to class at A&M because he was tired of being BMOC. He wants it both ways - he wants to splash his lifestyle all over social media, but then gets pissed when everyone pays attention.

Of course the fans will embrace a winner. But you mention a string of Hall of Famers. Manziel has yet to throw a pass in the NFL. He has talent, but has yet to show he can play in the pros. That is why he gets more criticism and I would have expected him to lay a bit lower until he shows he can do that because he is painting himself into a corner should he struggle as 99% of rookie QBs do. I love the Browns and just want them to finally field a competitive team. It all starts with him, and it makes me very nervous.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

Yeah, it is embarrassing regardless of what the owner's issues are. The reason is because this team has been through 20 starting QBs since 1999 when we started over. We have never had a real franchise QB that entire time. We have tried and failed, over and over again, 1st round pick after 1st round pick. We have tried the late round QB. We have tried the FA QB. We have tried the hometown hero. It is a ridiculopus exercise in futility and feels like it will NEVER ever happen. So THIS GUY is the next one we have to deal with? A 5'11 kid who played 2 years of college football, has never been able to stand in the pocket, and drinks to deal with his celebrity according to his own dad? His own father sold him out. You say he brushes off his issues and balls out, but this was the article almost one full year ago once he was back on the field:

http://espn.go.com/c...n-unselfishness

The same exact headline is still flying around today, just with different content. He isn't just any other 20 something millionaire. He is supposed to be the face of the franchise. yet he acts like a spoiled brat when anyone has the nerve to ask about his lifestyle - when every other 20 something millionaire in the NFL seems to be able to handle things just fine. This one couldn't even be bothered to go to class at A&M because he was tired of being BMOC. He wants it both ways - he wants to splash his lifestyle all over social media, but then gets pissed when everyone pays attention.

Of course the fans will embrace a winner. But you mention a string of Hall of Famers. Manziel has yet to throw a pass in the NFL. He has talent, but has yet to show he can play in the pros. That is why he gets more criticism and I would have expected him to lay a bit lower until he shows he can do that because he is painting himself into a corner should he struggle as 99% of rookie QBs do. I love the Browns and just want them to finally field a competitive team. It all starts with him, and it makes me very nervous.

CR - we feel your pain. Trust me.

I don't know what I would feel if this was EJ, last year. But keep in mind that JM may not even play this year. The Browns like Hoyer a lot as you know, and are trying to sign him to an extension as we speak. It will probably be much better for him if he redshirts. But while there are concerns with his game transferring to the NFL, he was a really outstanding QB in college and he played with a very bad defense so he always felt like he needed to score on every play. He'll have more support from that standpoint on the Browns. Hopefully they don't need him to be out there running around and will utilize his talents effectively. I do think his media challenges could take their toll on the team. But don't write him off yet, no matter how douche-y he seems. Hang in there.