What do you think Steve Johnson would bring in draft trade?

what would S.Johnson bring  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What would S Johnson bring in a draft pick trade?

There was no option presented which makes sense to me as I think he has little trade value as any team that wants him more likely will wait to see if he available as an FA if the Bills decide they must move him. Why give up any value for him in a trade when you may well get him for free.

In part because I see the Bills getting little for him in trade, I actually would advocate the Bills not trade him but keep him as I think he adds more value for the team as our #2 WR (though my guess is that he is called WR 1A with Watkins also being described as WR 1A on our depth chart.

I think the conventional wisdom will be among us fans that a redundant WR MUST be moved, but I think this conventional wisdom is flawed thinking. While there is some truth to Marv's view that if a team has two starting QBs it has no starting QB, it is wrong-headed and bad football to insist we only must have one #1 WR.

In fact, the Watkins pick will likely be hailed by Stevie J because it benefits him directly:

1. The Bills have made a clear decision to go O rather than go D as there means of winning and this and further by devoting major resources to WR rather than seeking a natural replacement for with Jackson or CJ (both in the last years of their contracts) the Bills have made not only a clear decision to go O but a clear decision to pass more rather than grind it out with more running.

2. Once they decide to throw more passes, even if this decision is made to get more Watkins into the game it benefits Johnson directly. On every pass play, EJ is going to be required to go through his entire progression of reads. Even if Watkins is the primary receiver, unless it is a hot route which sees EJ immediately throw to Watkins, EJ is going to read and consider throwing to Johnson. If Jo0hnson is as good as he thinks he is, his emphasis will be to get such a good break on his route and to obviously over match the CB on him each play is going to demand EJ go to him.

3. I is going to be a boon for SJ production if in fact Watkins plays so well he demands opponents put their #1 CB on him or double team him. Let's say Watkins is so great that an opponent must assign a Darelle Revis to him or double cover him with their best safety. This means that SJ gets to feast on the opponents #2 CB and enjoy single coverage. His production goes way up and the money he commands when he is an FA goes way up as well.

The drafting of Watkins is flat out beneficial to the number of chances and real looks EJ gives to SJ and helps SJ and the Bills win.

Why trade him particularly when he has little trade value to be gained?

Trading Stevie would trigger an extra $3.5 million in dead money since they paid him a $2 million bonus two months ago. They aren't getting rid of him until next year when we can actually save cap money by getting rid of him. Not losing cap and then losing even more on his replacement's salary.

Not to mention the mid-round pick we would get is very, very unlikely to match SJ's production.

Edited by Fingon

Trading Stevie would trigger an extra $3.5 million in dead money since they paid him a $2 million bonus two months ago. They aren't getting rid of him until next year when we can actually save cap money by getting rid of him. Not losing cap and then losing even more on his replacement's salary.

Not to mention the mid-round pick we would get is very, very unlikely to match SJ's production.

ood point! Not only does SJ have little trade value for a team to give up anything for him when they likely can get him for free IF the Bills are done with him, but it hurts the Bill's salary cap to move him.

SJ's highest value for this team is to have him enjoy the benefits of getting to feast on weaker CBs if Watkins demands a dt and/or the opponents #1 CB. In this world, SJ gets the dual benefits of:

1. Being on a winning team as he and Watkins place a heavy burden on opposing Ds as they have to decide which of them gets singled.

2. He sets himself up for a big FA contract ala the one Peerless collected when he hit FA as the Bills clear #2 WR but a potential #1 for his new team.

The Watkins pick is money in the bank for Johnson if he stays with the Bills and he has little trade value if the Bills (or he) decide to let him go.

I think Easley has to be the last WR due to special teams. Graham would be the victim.

Think we could pick up a late round pick for him? Better to move a WR today to tomorrow, than cut them for nothing.... Maybe we will see a package deal to slide up and grab someone

I hear that it would cost a lot of cap money this year to move him now. I hear and agree with the argument that he might thrive as a slot guy with the best corners and double coverages on Watkins, Williams and Wood. Also, if he does real good this year, we could get more for him by moving him next year.

When is somebody going to start calling our WR's the WWW team or something like that?

why are ppl always worrying about the cap? the bills dont have cap problems so taking the hit isnt an issue

as far as his replacement again, i dont get the concern but odds are his replacement is already on the roster so not like they will be adding anyone new and even if they did it would be at a minimum salary

there is also the real money savings from not paying his salary that for some reason ppl ignore when arguing about cap savings

worrying about the cap is a complete waste of time

Edited by Max997

Who is going to trade for that contract now? He'd have to have a monster season and then the Bills might just keep him.

Carolina

edit: also San Fran, just off the top of my head.

I could see San Fran moving pick 100(last pick of 3rd round) or pick 129(end of round 4) for Stevie. They have a big need at reciever and have the ammo. They were also a rumored landing spot for him when was about to head into FA before we re-signed him. You are getting a potential starter with one of those picks in this deep draft.

Edited by BrooklynBills