Gotta Love Doug Whaley

From this morning's MMQB article by Peter King, here are Whaley's words last night after pulling that trade:

“We’ve got to win,” he said. “We’ve got to win now. Fourteen years of not making the playoffs. Fourteen years. The people here deserve so much more. We need to give them more. We need to give them a winning team. We need to do it for the people of this region, and we need to do it for Mr. Wilson.

“I understand how big the deal is. I’m a competitor. I like our odds. I like our chances. The information we had made the decision for us. The player made the decision. I think I made the best decision for the Buffalo Bills. I can live with that, however it turns out.”

How any Bills fan would not like and respect Doug Whaley is beyond me. The guy gets it.

Nobody knows how Watkins will turn out. Not even Doug Whaley. I'm just glad he is willing to push the chips in when he has a strong feeling about a player. Last year, he (and Buddy...sort of) doubled back and got extra picks. It seems, in this small sample, that Whaley has an open mind about the draft and how to approach it. Perhaps a bit too much guesstimation on my part, but I love his conviction.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me, or does Doug Whaley always look like he just smoked a doobie?

I always think that too, I like it though, I'm an ex stoner, I get along with them pretty well still.

HOGWASH !!

if russ and doug knew for certain they would be retained by new ownership, they would have NEVER traded away next years #1.

this trade/pick was all about their selfish motives to keep their jobs.

I predict the bills will miss the playoffs and they both will be gone.

Pissy Wheaties yuck :sick:

BTW the statement is on BB.com he said a bit more too, something about having to work to get something, very cool!

Edited by bowery4

The price was steep but not a franchise killer. I was afraid we'd pull a Ditka with the Saints. He did manage to keep his picks this year which is supposed to be the deeper draft. You have admit the Bills have gotten more talented since Whaley arrived. Let's hope it works out.

I think those who are upset feel that way because the draft is all the Bills have had to look forward to for the past 14 years. I love the direction that Whaley is taking the team. All I can say is that it's about time. I think this one is going to turn out good for us.

The price was steep but not a franchise killer. I was afraid we'd pull a Ditka with the Saints. He did manage to keep his picks this year which is supposed to be the deeper draft. You have admit the Bills have gotten more talented since Whaley arrived. Let's hope it works out.

What we gave up is pretty mild compared to the Falcons/Julio trade. If he hits, we'll all forget about the cost (kind of).

edit: just realized Falcons moved from the 20s. Thought they were in the teens.

Edited by stony

From this morning's MMQB article by Peter King, here are Whaley's words last night after pulling that trade:

“We’ve got to win,” he said. “We’ve got to win now. Fourteen years of not making the playoffs. Fourteen years. The people here deserve so much more. We need to give them more. We need to give them a winning team. We need to do it for the people of this region, and we need to do it for Mr. Wilson.

“I understand how big the deal is. I’m a competitor. I like our odds. I like our chances. The information we had made the decision for us. The player made the decision. I think I made the best decision for the Buffalo Bills. I can live with that, however it turns out.”

How any Bills fan would not like and respect Doug Whaley is beyond me. The guy gets it.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/09/bills-draft-sammy-watkins-gutsy-trade/

There is a big difference between being BOLD and being RECKLESS, this is closer to RECKLESS. I would applaud BOLD (going after Clowney) because the difference between Clowney and the next DE in draft was significant and DE was position of need. As for Watkins, Whaley himself said the difference between Watkins and next best WR was minimal. To me, this was not a good trade. I love Watkins, but I would rather keep my #1 and take Beckham or Ebron if I thought I needed another ball catcher. I would have preferred a OT.

There is a big difference between being BOLD and being RECKLESS, this is closer to RECKLESS. I would applaud BOLD (going after Clowney) because the difference between Clowney and the next DE in draft was significant and DE was position of need. As for Watkins, Whaley himself said the difference between Watkins and next best WR was minimal. To me, this was not a good trade. I love Watkins, but I would rather keep my #1 and take Beckham or Ebron if I thought I needed another ball catcher. I would have preferred a OT.

exactly

I disagree. They Bills got an elite player in a deep draft class. They sacrificed a number one pick next year to get a guy who they expect to be a game changing difference maker. Not too much to give up IMO if things work according to their plans. Enough of the passive, cautious approach that has yielded nothing but misery and disappointment for fourteen long years.

I might have missed it, but where did Whaley say the difference was minimal? He said Watkins was the highest rated player on their board.

What we gave up is pretty mild compared to the Falcons/Julio trade. If he hits, we'll all forget about the cost (kind of).

edit: just realized Falcons moved from the 20s. Thought they were in the teens.

You pay the price the market sets. If Watkins is good advertised then we paid the going rate. Let's hope the pick traded ends up in the mid 20's or higher.

I love me some Doug Whaley!

I'm not trying to start a flame war with you, but this is the first positive thing I've seen you post and I'm more than a little pleasantly surprised by it.

Hopefully Watkins works out the way we hope and the first we gave up in '15 will be a late round pick.

I'm interested to see what they do with #41. I kind of hope he addresses the OL but if he doesn't, I'll just chalk it up to me being a fan and this being his job. In Doug I trust!

I might have missed it, but where did Whaley say the difference was minimal? He said Watkins was the highest rated player on their board.

Whaley's direct quote when asked about the difference between Watkins and the next best WR on their board was "THERE WASN'T THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE" -- it's t the 5 or 6 minute mark of the presser

What a breath of fresh air from the conservative 'we'll get there' attitude we've seen for so long. People on TSW are lamenting the Watkins pick, but I love it. There are busts, mediocre players in the first round every year, and we made sure that we got a sure thing this year. And with the FA additions this summer, this organization's playoff hopes next year are clearly not just idle rhetoric. If there's one guy to bring the Bills back to the playoffs, it's Doug Whaley. CAN'T WAIT 'TIL SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!

Sure things don’t exist. But I LOVED the move. I’m sick of the losers mentality that has descended on the organization and the fan base. People actually want to plan for failure. “If EJ isn’t…” This years QB class was said to be so much better than last years and it didn’t turn out to be the case. Bortles goes in top 10 inexplicably and the other QB’s went late or will be in the 2nd round. Who is to say what next year’s players will look like by the end of the pre-draft process?

The Bills got a potential difference maker now. And I agree with Whaley: 14 years no playoffs…

Operating in fear is a losing mentality. Maybe this will work out or maybe it won’t. But you have to swing for the fences. Whaley is putting the pressure on EJ to step up. I see no problem with that. And if he doesn’t get better QB’s can be drafted in rounds outside the first round. Just turn on the TV tonight and watch how many go in round 2.

assuming the Bills make the playoffs

and assuming Watkins plays at a Pro Bowl level

and assuming EJ shows we don't need a first round QB next year

this was a good deal.....DOH !!

Plan for failure...What a great way to approach any endeavor in life. :rolleyes:

I disagree. They Bills got an elite player in a deep draft class. They sacrificed a number one pick next year to get a guy who they expect to be a game changing difference maker. Not too much to give up IMO if things work according to their plans. Enough of the passive, cautious approach that has yielded nothing but misery and disappointment for fourteen long years.

I don't think being cautious is what's keeping this team out of the playoffs the past 14 years. You've posted it yourself many times, it's making bad decisions. This to me, is a pick made out of desperation to prove to the new owner that they know what they are doing. It's a roll of the dice to make playoffs. I don't like the roll of the dice on a WR, I think it's the wrong position to go all in on. If it was Clowney (in this draft) or RG3 a couple of years ago, while I might not do it myself, I can at least understand and would call it BOLD, this to me, smacks of desperation and being reckless.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I just read that quote in the Rochester morning paper. My first thought was “What, does he think Watkins is going to score 25 touchdowns or something?”

Because that’s what it would take to get this team to the playoffs.

Unfortunately we are not one WR away from the playoffs.