Stevie Johnson Trade Value

I think Steve Johnson will be on the Bills in 2014, beyond that who knows, but here's why:

1. Injuries.

And I'm not talking about SJ himself who until last year was the most reliable of the receiving core to start games. Marquise Goodwin missed 4 complete games last year when he broke his hand in the season opener and had to leave the New Orleans, KC and Miami games early. While he is a dynamic threat, his injuries seem to come often a la Roscoe Parish. Mike Williams is coming off a 6 game year with TB because of a torn hamstring. Even Robert Woods wasn't able to escape the injury bug and missed 2 games.

2. Mike Williams.

The guy is a complete unknown. He could turn out to be great pickup, although he hasn't been nearly as consistent in TB as SJ has here, so there are doubts. Then there's his off the field problems. The guy racked up $200,000 in team fines by missing meetings in TB. He's also do a big pay rise next year, the Bills are getting him super cheap this year. Let's say they cut SJ and Mike Williams has an off year or something happens off the field. Now that great depth the Bills have currently is gone as the Bills would be stupid to keep MW and pay that huge salary. If anything this is a tryout year for Williams and if he proves himself he could be great trade bait for the Bills.

3. Inexperience.

As much as fans want to say they know for a fact that Robert Woods or any of the younger receivers are better than SJ now, the fact is there is absolutely no proof of that. Could they be? Sure. But at this very moment there isn't anyway to know. With SJ you at least have consistency when he's healthy. You know what he brings and there is no harm in keeping him for 2014 to make sure these younger receivers are really going to develop. And SJ brings 7 years experience to a WR core that if they got rid of him would have Mike Williams be the vet.

I also think his trade value, with an off year and injury, is really low. If you keep him this year and he has a better year his trade value goes up much like Mike Williams does.

Just some thoughts.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With his drop in performance last year, no one is going to give us a 3rd or 4th rd pick for SJ. Keep him. Why give away talent and take a gamble on a late pick. They have the money on the cap to keep him.

1. Watkins

2. Woods

3. SJ

4. Williams (if he doesn't make any other stupid decision off the field)

5. Goodwin

6. Easley (only b/c he is a fantastic gunner on ST - 6th WR are only on the team for ST and a ton of injuries)

I like this corp of WR. we have a Percy Harvin without the migraines in Watkins, an excellent route runner in Woods, a WR who plays big in Williams, SJ prior to last year just gets open even against top CBs. Lastly, I love Goodwin's speed, and explosiveness on kick returns.

If Whaley is right and we pick at 25 next year, I'll be happy with this trade,

I tend to favor in keeping Johnson and hopefully Cleveland will pick 25 next year with our pick.

Stevie to the slot (#1a? are these numbers necessary?), Woods #2 and Watkins #1 add in whomever, when need arises and it looks pretty good. Nice to have depth and good competition for the position to me. That is what Stevie is worth.

^this

I disagree. Whatever 5-6th rounder is likely to be camp fodder. I'd rather have a decent #2 WR like SJ

Stevie is no longer the #2 WR on this roster. Watkins is #1, Williams is #2 and Woods is #3. Where does that leave Stevie? My guess is that it leaves him packing his bags.

What about trading Stevie (if we trade him) for a player like we did with Sheppard last year? A scenario that makes sense to me would be Stevie for Jermaine Gresham. The Bengals lost their slot guy to Cleveland & used a first on TE last year. Just a thought...

Stevie is excellent when healthy and a QB has time to find him. Revis had a hard time trying to cover him. I would keep him unless someone made the Bills a offer they can't refuse.

Stevie is excellent when healthy and a QB has time to find him. Revis had a hard time trying to cover him. I would keep him unless someone made the Bills a offer they can't refuse.

The reality is that next year Stevie or Mike Williams will not be on the roster. If they deal him they can minimize the cap ramifications and get a good piece (hopefully in return). I like Stevie but at this point he is probably the 4th most talented WR on the roster (and the highest paid).

The reality is that next year Stevie or Mike Williams will not be on the roster. If they deal him they can minimize the cap ramifications and get a good piece (hopefully in return). I like Stevie but at this point he is probably the 4th most talented WR on the roster (and the highest paid).

My question to that is, you say either Stevie or Mike Williams won't be on the roster, why do you automatically think it's Stevie they need to deal? Couldn't it be Williams? Or do you feel Williams has more potential? Mike Williams cap hit is very high next year as well.

EDIT: and just thinking out loud, isn't it entirely possible that the Bills acquired Mike Williams as an insurance policy, a cheap one for this year, if they weren't able to grab Watkins or one of the high rated WR? It's about getting EJ weapons, I'm sure the Bills in March had no idea whether they would actually be able to get Watkins, even though they've liked him for quite a while. A 6th and his salary this year, seem like a one year deal.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

What do you think we can get for him? He's clearly on the way out with Woods and Goodwin showing rookie chemistry with EJ and signing Williams and now drafting Watkins.

I would be happy to get a 3rd rounder and be rid of him.

I'm not sure that they get rid of SJ cause it doesn't make a lot of sense cap wise this year but TJ Grahams future is not looking real bright at the moment .

If there is a suitor for either of these guy s SJ or TJ they need to be on the phone with Jacksonville pronto !!!

Three wide, Watkins, Woods and Stevie in the slot. Mike Williams is certainly talented but he is no sure fire thing. Goodwin is great in a 4 wide set, alot like Roscoe. TJ is gone and should have been last year. And Easley is your special teams ace.

This team is going to get a little pass heavy, hold on to your butts.

Other then a few things... like

I really cannot take this seriously.

He is too young, too talented and affordable as can be. His trade value is not worth more then his value to our team.

Get out of the clouds. Mike Williams is hardly more then 50/50 to finish the season, and less to be on the roster in 2015. Graham, Goodwin, and Robert Woods are not much of anything to hold water in. And I really don't need to mention anyone else, because as far as I am concerned there is no one else for WR. And, I mean no disrespect to Easley. I want him on this teams as a special teamer.

I disagree. Woods and Goodwin got open consistently last year and both have soft hands and quickness. Come out of breaks fast, run good routes, developed some chem with EJ and are good character guys. Stevie is very good but he has always seemed to be hurt down the stretch when we need him the most. I'm afraid he doesn't have the body or training regimen to be there for us.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe Watkins takes some heat off Stevie and he can be a role player.

Either way we need a freakin left guard and right tackle or none of this matters because we can't have the same crappy protection we had last year.

My question to that is, you say either Stevie or Mike Williams won't be on the roster, why do you automatically think it's Stevie they need to deal? Couldn't it be Williams? Or do you feel Williams has more potential? Mike Williams cap hit is very high next year as well.

EDIT: and just thinking out loud, isn't it entirely possible that the Bills acquired Mike Williams as an insurance policy, a cheap one for this year, if they weren't able to grab Watkins or one of the high rated WR? It's about getting EJ weapons, I'm sure the Bills in March had no idea whether they would actually be able to get Watkins, even though they've liked him for quite a while. A 6th and his salary this year, seem like a one year deal.

That's entirely possible. It's possible that they can both be on the roster this year too. My thinking is that you know it will only be for a year you might as well try to get value. I do not know which one won't be back next year (unless they both restructure) which I suppose is another option.

I was just throwing out Gresham as a creative solution to address a need. I would rather get him than a 3rd or 4th. If they did that trade they could use their next 3 picks on OL, DE or whatever they think that they need.

That's entirely possible. It's possible that they can both be on the roster this year too. My thinking is that you know it will only be for a year you might as well try to get value. I do not know which one won't be back next year (unless they both restructure) which I suppose is another option.

I was just throwing out Gresham as a creative solution to address a need. I would rather get him than a 3rd or 4th. If they did that trade they could use their next 3 picks on OL, DE or whatever they think that they need.

The only problem I have with trading Stevie now is his value is extremely low compared to how he preformed last year. Look what Mike Williams was had for, I think thats what the Bills would get for SJ. Would a 6th rd pick have help to dramatically improve the team? Maybe, but it's highly unlikely and the Bills would get fleeced.

Well, that's not a very good idea. So because you are emotionally upset at Stevie for something (didn't come to your sleepover?), you want to 'just get rid of him'. That doesn't make any sense. you don't toss away talented players because of ???

He isnt a difference maker, it wouldnt be a toss...it would be get something good in return...our wr corps is very full with young talent.

The only problem I have with trading Stevie now is his value is extremely low compared to how he preformed last year. Look what Mike Williams was had for, I think thats what the Bills would get for SJ. Would a 6th rd pick have help to dramatically improve the team? Maybe, but it's highly unlikely and the Bills would get fleeced.

That's exactly why I suggested a player. If you can get a starting caliber OL, DE, TE or LB you have to do it.