Electricity Rates

The liberal green view fails to take into account the full view of:

Forcasted future demand for electricity

The capacity needed to meet that demand

The cost to implement enough renewable production

The cost to consumers and businesses if we were to migrate heavily toward renewable production now

Faced with the facts, most people will conclude that the migration to renewable energy will be very slow until technology improves dramatically. At the same time, traditional methods of generating power are getting cleaner and more efficient so the goal post for renewable is also moving.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the same time, traditional methods of generating power are getting cleaner and more efficient so the goal post for renewable is also moving. [/size]

Yes, because Liberals are forcing them to be so

Utilities are afraid of solar?

Who the !@#$ do you think constructs solar plants? :wacko:

Oh, I though you would be an expert on this too, lol. Ya, thats why they are pushing for taxes on home solar panels and trying to stop the solar subsidies.

Oh, I though you would be an expert on this too, lol. Ya, thats why they are pushing for taxes on home solar panels and trying to stop the solar subsidies.

Still no clue as to why Solyndra failed, or do you not want to admit why?

You are !@#$ing retarded.

You're being unfair to retarded people. He is a special brand of stupid.

No, I'm not. Having a Down's syndrome uncle and a nephew with brain damage, I'd never refer to them as "retarded" and lump them in the same group as gatorschmuck.

Since solar only works a portion of the day, the electrical grid is required. What you fail to consider is the fixed cost associated with the grid infrastructure. If you install a 5kw system and offset the kwh energy your house consumes you are being subsidized. If your connected to the grid with a net zero bill, then the other customers (without solar) are carrying the fixed cost of the grid. Which makes you greenies a bunch of freeloaders.

If every house installed solar and offset their energy the grid couldn’t survive without any income. The solar systems will not work without the grid. Solar power will quickly disappear at the exact moment the subsidies do!

Edited by tomato can

One thing that you fail to realize is that the sun is only out during the day, when you don't really need lights. What do you do at night time?

One thing that you fail to realize is that the sun is only out during the day, when you don't really need lights. What do you do at night time?

Use moonlight. We just have to get Big Oil to stop obstructing the manufacture of lunar panels.

What about inventing a warp core?

I would love to invent one, just so I could warp around the solar system, collect temperature readings of all the moons/planets for 6 months, post my data that shows them cooling...and troll the hell out of people by claiming that my science is settled.

Obstructionist Republicans, you racist.

See?

What did I say would happen back in 2008? The above. Literally. I bet this was tantamount to a reflexive response for Koko78.

That's what Obama et al has accomplished: people don't even care what they say, they are automatically going to characterize it as "war on women"/"racist"/"obstructionist" and ignore them. You go to any comments section of any online article, and you will see the same auto-response. This is what happens when you overplay so many hands. Nobody takes you seriously, therefore, everybody calls you on every hand. Pretty soon the "re-raising" is going to start, if it hasn't already.

They have literally destroyed "racism" "sexism" as charges that will stick. And to their chagrin: you have to be the Clipper's owner, for anyone to take you seriously as a racist. The KKK/Nazis(all 3 of them) must be pissed: they have to up their game, because they can't even get on the front page anymore.

What does the embolded mean? Also, specifically why did Solyndra fail?

The real question: what does embiggen mean?

:lol:

You are !@#$ing retarded.

Don't say that in the shout box...big tears will flow, and you'll have to sit through a boring lecture as to why "we don't say retarded" anymore.

Then, you can remind them of Rahm Emanuel....which is fun...but only for a minute. Not worth the lecture time.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

What about inventing a warp core?

Admittedly I'm late to this thread and it's slightly off topic (yet still related) but: yes please!

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/index.html

I'm a big fan of the idea that a reinvestment in our space program would be a wonderful elixir for most of what ails us. This country, and I dare say the world, desperately needs something positive to rally behind. I wasn't around for the Apollo era and I am sure there are plenty of people on here who were and could speak more eloquently than I can on this point but the impact those missions had on the national zeitgeist -- let alone our economy, military, and technology -- is undeniable.

Wouldn't it be great if we had that kind of moment again with the space program? We saw how excited people got over the Mars Curiosity project, but robots and rovers can only galvanize the folks footing the bill so much. What about a manned mission to Mars? The reinvestment in science and engineering necessary to accomplish that would have tremendous ancillary benefits right here at home. From jobs, to education, to the feeling that our country has a direction it's trying to go -- something that has been sorely missing in the most recent decade and change if not longer. It's quite possible that such a boom in tech and engineering would lead to an energy breakthrough that we cannot even imagine today. One that would help get us off of our dependency on what are ultimately limited resources. Such a breakthrough would bring cheaper (I'm too cynical to believe it'll ever be "free") energy to the masses -- and that would change the planet faster than arguably anything short of Armageddon.

The problem is the Apollo era never would have happened without the Cold War. The only way to unify congress and the voters behind the notion of spending money on the space program (or really any government project) is if there is either a tangible and immediate benefit or the looming threat of war. At least that's always been how it plays out.

So maybe the whole Ukraine situation will help bring back the "good ol' days". I can dream...

I would love to invent one, just so I could warp around the solar system, collect temperature readings of all the moons/planets for 6 months, post my data that shows them cooling...and troll the hell out of people by claiming that my science is settled.

:lol: :lol:

Admittedly I'm late to this thread and it's slightly off topic (yet still related) but: yes please!

http://www.grc.nasa..../bpp/index.html

I'm a big fan of the idea that a reinvestment in our space program would be a wonderful elixir for most of what ails us. This country, and I dare say the world, desperately needs something positive to rally behind. I wasn't around for the Apollo era and I am sure there are plenty of people on here who were and could speak more eloquently than I can on this point but the impact those missions had on the national zeitgeist -- let alone our economy, military, and technology -- is undeniable.

Wouldn't it be great if we had that kind of moment again with the space program? We saw how excited people got over the Mars Curiosity project, but robots and rovers can only galvanize the folks footing the bill so much. What about a manned mission to Mars? The reinvestment in science and engineering necessary to accomplish that would have tremendous ancillary benefits right here at home. From jobs, to education, to the feeling that our country has a direction it's trying to go -- something that has been sorely missing in the most recent decade and change if not longer. It's quite possible that such a boom in tech and engineering would lead to an energy breakthrough that we cannot even imagine today. One that would help get us off of our dependency on what are ultimately limited resources. Such a breakthrough would bring cheaper (I'm too cynical to believe it'll ever be "free") energy to the masses -- and that would change the planet faster than arguably anything short of Armageddon.

The problem is the Apollo era never would have happened without the Cold War. The only way to unify congress and the voters behind the notion of spending money on the space program (or really any government project) is if there is either a tangible and immediate benefit or the looming threat of war. At least that's always been how it plays out.

So maybe the whole Ukraine situation will help bring back the "good ol' days". I can dream...

:lol: :lol:

You need to get with the program. NASA's mission since early 2009 has been to relate to the Arab world how much we respect their early culture and scientific advances.

Edited by 3rdnlng

See?

What did I say would happen back in 2008? The above. Literally. I bet this was tantamount to a reflexive response for Koko78.

That's what Obama et al has accomplished: people don't even care what they say, they are automatically going to characterize it as "war on women"/"racist"/"obstructionist" and ignore them. You go to any comments section of any online article, and you will see the same auto-response. This is what happens when you overplay so many hands. Nobody takes you seriously, therefore, everybody calls you on every hand. Pretty soon the "re-raising" is going to start, if it hasn't already.

They have literally destroyed "racism" "sexism" as charges that will stick. And to their chagrin: you have to be the Clipper's owner, for anyone to take you seriously as a racist. The KKK/Nazis(all 3 of them) must be pissed: they have to up their game, because they can't even get on the front page anymore.

Thank goodness that you came along to explain the rather obvious joke I made!

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/index.html

we don't need to devise a new method of propulsion to get our space program back on track. space exploration is one of the very few areas where I whole-heartedly support large-scale federal spending. I remember all of it...all the way back to John Glenn's three-orbit flight aboard Friendship 7 (although I was very young at the time). you're absolutely right about the cold war's influence on technological development within the space program (I believe that the booster rockets used in the Gemini missions were from decommissioned missles, but I'm not sure).

a friend and I were talking about this just the other day. he bemoans the general public's apparent lack of interest in space exploration, but I reminded him that we've decommissioned all of our space shuttles and all current rocket development in the US is being handled by private companies. people used to be engaged when we were sending people up into space, because it was all over the television whenever we did it, especially in the days before cable TV (it was like when the president spoke or when the pope died....all three channels covered it to the exclusion of scheduled programming). you will see renewed interest when they finally whittle down the number of people that will be going to Mars. that will be especially appealing to the public interest, if for no other reason than it's a one-way trip. whoever goes will not be returning to Earth.