Donald Sterling - LA Clippers owner

Its newsworthy but only in a tabloid, "lets watch this rich guy implode", ooohhh the humanity type way. The dude is a scumbag who just crippled his ability to field a competitive team.

I even think scumbag may be going too far. He might well be, but I can't draw that conclusion just from this. He sounded like he was worried about cultural perception more than anything (remember, he's 80), rather than necessarily speaking out of hatred.

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I even think scumbag may be going too far. He might well be, but I can't draw that conclusion just from this. He sounded like he was worried about cultural perception more than anything (remember, he's 80), rather than necessarily speaking out of hatred.

When you're the owner of a sports franchise and in the public eye you're going to be closely scrutinized. He deserves the negative attention he's getting IMO given the remarks.

I say scumbag based on his broader body of work and what I've recently read about his rental operations, not just that rambling nonsense the woman he's suing caught on tape. I also don't like his face and the sound of his voice.

Am I the only one that finds this predictably overblown? All I heard was an 80 year old Jewish guy saying he doesn't want his mistress publicly associating with black folks.

I realize that's not cool, but is it really the great outrage it's being played up as?

I kind of agree. I don't like the content of his conversation, but come on, there are people talk like this everyday. I don't have a family get together without my mother in law talking junk about Mexicans and Blacks, and how she want to love somewhere that is "Whiter"- in fact she has researched retirement spots that have the least minorities... classy

I can't get away from my family, but people can make a statement about his comments- don't buy the merchandise, boycott the games, and if he is a businessman on the side, stop using his products and services.

But the press outrage... please.... just another overblown story about some bigotted old boob.... yawn.

Am I the only one that finds this predictably overblown? All I heard was an 80 year old Jewish guy saying he doesn't want his mistress publicly associating with black folks.

I realize that's not cool, but is it really the great outrage it's being played up as?

It is a big deal because of the position Sterling is in. If he were just a guy on the street, or a pop culture celebrity, or your Uncle Jim, it wouldn't matter. But this man has billions in his bank account, employes thousands of minorities as well as being a major landholder in Los Angeles (and beyond).

Look into the man's history and you'll get a better understanding of why this is a bigger deal than you might think.

Its newsworthy but only in a tabloid, "lets watch this rich guy implode", ooohhh the humanity type way. The dude is a scumbag who just crippled his ability to field a competitive team.

Yes, he did cripple his team. But you can't dismiss the importance of this story coming out. People for years have known that Sterling was a racist dick, but it's very different to know a fact from hearsay and reading court transcripts than it is to hear the actual audio for yourself. I believe in a case like this, when someone who is as powerful and influential as Sterling is in Southern California, that information like this HAS to come out.

For that reason alone, this is an important story. If it helps turn the tide of public opinion and runs a hateful, bigoted man out of town -- one who deserves exactly what he gets based on his long history -- then it's a very positive thing and more than just media hype.

If you don't think Sterling is a scumbag, I suggest you look up his history. Or ask Elgin Baylor what he thinks.

I think I was pretty clear.

It is a big deal because of the position Sterling is in. If he were just a guy on the street, or a pop culture celebrity, or your Uncle Jim, it wouldn't matter. But this man has billions in his bank account, employes thousands of minorities as well as being a major landholder in Los Angeles (and beyond).

[/Quote]

Eh. I get that, but I still think the whole thing's way overblown and has a lot more to do with our nationwide case of cultural vaginitis in regards to -isms than it does with any tangible detriment to minorities.

You were. Which is why I suggested you look up his history before you defend this guy. This incident is the tamest of them all...

Elgin Baylor didn't need to work for him, yet he chose to. The Clippers players, coaches, and staff don't need to work for him, yet they choose to. Clippers fans don't need to attend games, or buy mechandise, but they choose to. His tenents don't need to seek to rent his appartments, but they choose to.

Seems like a self inflicted wound to me.

If you don't like what he stands for, disassociate from him. If you don't choose to disassociate, then shut the !@#$ up already.

Eh. I get that, but I still think the whole thing's way overblown and has a lot more to do with our nationwide case of cultural vaginitis in regards to -isms than it does with any tangible detriment to minorities.

That's the easy response, and most times it's accurate. But just because there are sensational race-baiters out there who turn anything into an overblown story with no substance (and there are plenty that will try to do that with this case too) -- doesn't mean that EVERY case like this should be ignored or written off as MSM hype.

This one is different for a number of reasons. Especially considering it's taking place in the second most populous city in the nation and involves one of the city's wealthiest and most powerful men.

Elgin Baylor didn't need to work for him, yet he chose to. The Clippers players, coaches, and staff don't need to work for him, yet they choose to. Clippers fans don't need to attend games, or buy mechandise, but they choose to. His tenents don't need to seek to rent his appartments, but they choose to.

Seems like a self inflicted wound to me.

If you don't like what he stands for, disassociate from him. If you don't choose to disassociate, then shut the !@#$ up already.

But how can people know what the man truly stands for, and I mean people in the general sense, without stories like this breaking? Sterling has spent millions of his own dollars to avoid any sort of reproach for his antiquated world views, without this tape he'd continue to operate as normal.

Now people have a real choice. How is that a bad thing?

Part of why it's hard for me to take all the hand wringing seriously is that I know damn good and we'll that every one feigning outrage has a friend, cousin, grandparent, or someone close to them that shares similar, if not more extreme, views that they tolerate.

Part of why it's hard for me to take all the hand wringing seriously is that I know damn good and we'll that every one feigning outrage has a friend, cousin, grandparent, or someone close to them that shares similar, if not more extreme, views that they tolerate.

But those friends, cousins, or grandparents probably don't have billions in the bank and employ thousands of minority workers...

The difference is influence. Day to day racism (or even "different world views" mistaken for racism) is something everyone has to deal with in their own way on a day to day basis. But when you're dealing with a job creator, employer, landlord and land owner who holds these views, there's a greater chance said person's views can be used to directly hurt people.

In Sterling's case, his views HAVE hurt people directly, and he's been sued for such actions repeatedly.

Edited by GreggyT

But how can people know what the man truly stands for, and I mean people in the general sense, without stories like this breaking? Sterling has spent millions of his own dollars to avoid any sort of reproach for his antiquated world views, without this tape he'd continue to operate as normal.

Now people have a real choice. How is that a bad thing?

It's a neutral thing. As far as I can tell, any of Sterling's racism, either real or perceived, hasn't done anyone any tangible harm. I'm quite sure that Chris Paul's 18.6m annual paycheck, signed by Sterling, keeps him from feeling particularly aggrieved; and if it doesn't then Paul either has his priorities out of whack, or he should stop cashing those paychecks.

But those friends, cousins, or grandparents probably don't have billions in the bank and employ thousands of minority workers...

The difference is influence. Day to day racism (or even "different world views" mistaken for racism) is something everyone has to deal with in their own way on a day to day basis. But when you're dealing with a job creator, employer, landlord and land owner who holds these views, there's a greater chance said person's views can be used to directly hurt people.

In Sterling's case, his views HAVE hurt people directly, and he's been sued for such actions repeatedly.

He seems to have a lot of minority millionaires on his payroll, and up until about 10 minutes ago he was slated to receive his 2nd NAACP award, so I'm skeptical of that.

It's a neutral thing. As far as I can tell, any of Sterling's racism, either real or perceived, hasn't done anyone any tangible harm. I'm quite sure that Chris Paul's 18.6m annual paycheck, signed by Sterling, keeps him from feeling particularly aggrieved; and if it doesn't then Paul either has his priorities out of whack, or he should stop cashing those paychecks.

There has been tangible harm -- lots of it. Most of it occurred in his other businesses (being a landlord) where he refused to rent to people of Asian, black, or hispanic decent in his Beverly Hills buildings. Sterling said (in court documents mind you) he did not like to rent to Hispanics because "Hispanics smoke, drink and just hang around the building." And that, "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."

He settled out of court.

He seems to have a lot of minority millionaires on his payroll, and up until about 10 minutes ago he was slated to receive his 2nd NAACP award, so I'm skeptical of that.

Skeptical of what? The NAACP or my post?

How is this going to "run him out of town" exactly?

It will only happen if the fans and sponsors rally. The players and NBA cannot do anything legally other than fine and suspend Sterling. It has to be his decision to step down.

It will only happen if the fans and sponsors rally. The players and NBA cannot do anything legally other than fine and suspend Sterling. It has to be his decision to step down.

Oh, you would just like to see him sell the Clippers.

When did it become the media's responsibility to ensure that the justice they deem acceptable is dispensed?

Oh, you would just like to see him sell the Clippers.

You're right, I would like to see him sell the Clippers.

When did it become the media's responsibility to ensure that the justice they deem acceptable is dispensed?

How is the media "ensuring" justice in this matter? The media is covering the story, which is a huge story regardless of your opinion. It's a huge story because of where it's taking place and the people it involves.

Please, tell me how you would have the media handle this story.

You're right, I would like to see him sell the Clippers.

How is the media "ensuring" justice in this matter? The media is covering the story, which is a huge story regardless of your opinion. It's a huge story because of where it's taking place and the people it involves.

Please, tell me how you would have the media handle this story.

At this point I don't think they are.

But you seem to be suggesting that they do whatever it takes and push this story until they can drum up the resolution you are hoping for.

I do like how you feel your opinion that this is a huge story is correct regardless of everyone else that has a different opinion.