• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LoL... bbb, you are like a fly to sh*t.

BTW, did you see my post above! ;-P ;-P

I can't shake you and this damn weather! LoL BTW, it is 75 and gorgeous today... ;-)

68 here. I love winter, but I'm so ready for warm weather now!

If they are coughing up $1 Billion, they are overpaying. Further, at that price the team is toast in Buffalo. That is a lot of money to earn back to get any rate of return.

No one that buys an NFL team earns there money bk on a yearly anymore. The initial investment for that team is basically moving funds for these Billionaires, from one bank to another. The Billion dollars is not lost. it has value threw the franchise and furthermore that value will go up even more when the NFL signs there new tv deal. Which is supposedly going double from 9bill to 18 billion. So if our new owner buys the team for even 1.5 bill it's a good deal. In a few yrs the lowest value of NFL team will be about that anyway. Besides all that the team with new stadium and all should be profiting anywhere from 30-50 mill pet yr

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Very true. If it was like that ten years ago, then it must still be like that.

amazing how many out-of-towners who have come through Buffalo over the past year have commented on the visible signs of change. heck, we can see it reflected in the value of our home and the amount of new restaurants and businesses popping up in our neighborhood.

jw

amazing how many out-of-towners who have come through Buffalo over the past year have commented on the visible signs of change. heck, we can see it reflected in the value of our home and the amount of new restaurants and businesses popping up in our neighborhood.

jw

No doubt.

jw

What neighborhood/area are you referring to?

Sorry for knocking it. I come back every two or so months and it seems the same. What I have noticed is that businesses you mention seem to be more national/corporate now... A homogeneous change. That is not a bad thing! Still a lot of local places. They are fixing things up which is great. Slow but sure is a good thing!

Again... Sorry for knocking it.

I am gonna catch flak for this, watch. I am not trying to be mean, just living in reality. To answer your question. Part of the problem is because it is such a crap shoot weatherwise. You speak of "the Lake." It is already April 21st, you wanna be next to this? What can be done? These days of the year, you can't do anything with "The Lake."

http://www.iceboom.nypa.gov/

It is the same reason why business and investment isn't too terribly attracted to remote places like this:

http://wavesatseacav...04-21_12_30.jpg

I am sorry, it is what it is. I love Buffalo and Western New York, but it is handcuffed in so many ways! Business and investment doesn't like chance. Taking a chance on: "Maybe next year will be a mild winter." Is downright scary for business that do not like uncertainty.

Again, I will get flak for this seeing how Buffalo is trying to bust out of the natural mode it was cast in. It is what it is as much as it pains me to say it. Human engineering isn't helping... The only business and investment they are worried about is getting that power from The Falls and sending it a zillion miles somewhere else. (Toronto and NYC). They are saying eff BFLO/Niagara Falls and "Their Lake" while places like Toronto and NYC get cheap power.

Honesty in debate is a great thing, appreciate the comments. I too love western New York and want the Bills to stay. More importantly I want NY to come back.

It's coming back in WNY. I don't know about the rest of NY. Of course, you're not here to see what's been going on.

OK!

There are all sorts of creative things that can be done. We can all theorize until the cows come home - Ralph was a smart businessman and didn't leave without a plan. Whether the plan can be executed remains to be seen. The guy hasn't been gone that long. Give it a little time.

I just got back from Boston Bills backers Dyngus Day (at an Irish bar, of course.) Talking with some folks about possible Bills owners and the topic of MSLE, Larry Tanenbaum and Bon Jovi came up. And it occurred to us that this group is not really a slam dunk to move the Bills in Toronto.

Think about it. There is no NFL-caliber stadium anywhere in Ontario and none on the drawing board. And don't expect government to build them a new stadium. So MSLE/Bon Jovi would have to buy the Bills and pony up another billion plus for a place to play. (Ever price land in Toronto?)

But if they keep the Bills in the USA they get a free stadium courtesy of NY State built a thousand feet from the Rainbow Bridge. Commuter rail runs from Toronto to NF, ON. Canadian fans save at least 30 minutes drive and lord knows how long at the Peace Bridge.

Mind you there is a plan being floated to attract the Olympics or World Cup to Toronto sometime in the next decade so who knows about the long term but I think MSLE/Bon Jovi would likely commit to NF, USA in exchange for a free stadium.

PTR

I think Hamilton and souther Ontario is the Bills play. Sure they would get some fans from Toronto but most fans there would view it the way Buffalo fans view the team in Toronto.

Just say no to J. BJ. I wouldn't want to give this weasel the chance. For him to even suggest moving our WNY team north of the boarder to the Toronto market is a deal breaker under any circumstances. It will always have been his 1st choice and therefore something we would always have to worry about. He is far more likely to move the team than Trump would ever be.

He is a snake who simply pretended to be a blue color rocker if you ask me. How many people who (pretend to) stand for what he did would outright steal another city's team.

Would the Boss ever do this?

jw

The problem with the ill-equipped visual analysts is that they foolishly equate building and aesthetics to a strong economy. The reality is quite the opposite because all this new construction and the aesthetic fetishism downtown and a few city neighborhoods is entirely supported by government subsidy in a desperate attempt to reverse a still declining regional economy. Every development project is on the backs of taxpayers via ECIDA, NYS, federal or local tax breaks. EVERYTHING... from historic tax breaks for things like the Lafayette Hotel to massive influx of state dollars at canalside, none of it is the result of structural improvements in our economy or the result of any visionary leadership. You can't build out of a failure. The city still bleeds populations, has one of the highest poverty rates of any city over 250,000, is among the most segregated, has one of the worst public urban school districts, and has more vacancy and abandonment in more of the city than areas of strong housing markets. The suburbs aren't any better, the first ring suburbs are increasingly losing population, increasing in poverty, seeing increased vacancy and decreased housing values, and an aging population on limited, fixed incomes.

If anything, the only thing these tax breaks in the city have done is limited development in the suburbs, which is good. But it hasn't had any statistically significant impact on this region's future... Not to say it won't, but the data other than the number of construction permits doesn't support that. This is a region in a global economy and a minor improvements are only minor if they rest of the region continues to decline.

Get out of North Bflo and the Elmwood Village and visit the whole of the east side, much of the west side, black rock, riverside, parts of South Buffalo. The city looks great if you view it through a straw while standing in front of the Blue Monk after paying $9 for a crappy beer. But that's the myopic Buffalo mentality, so desperate for any improvement that they equate bricks and mortar with actual transformational change. But even in the city, the leadership cuts off its nose to spite its face. Giving Uniland millions to build a building for Delaware North so they can move 2 blocks and vacate another entire building is a self-inflicted wound. But hey, let's not consider the chain of vacancy created by stepping into the marketplace and giving one owner an advantage over another that results in a massive loss of property tax on one building that is barely balanced by new taxes on the new building, if even pays taxes at all in the short term.

We're just in the same era are parents and grandparents were when politicians and the developer class promise that is we just give out and receive tax breaks, it'll change. Yeah those $8 an hour jobs selling concession in Canalside, tending bar at the plethora of consumptive class bars and restaurants, and hotel jobs are booming this economy.

Read the book Power Failure and tell me how different today is than yesterday.

The problem with the ill-equipped visual analysts is that they foolishly equate building and aesthetics to a strong economy. The reality is quite the opposite because all this new construction and the aesthetic fetishism downtown and a few city neighborhoods is entirely supported by government subsidy in a desperate attempt to reverse a still declining regional economy. Every development project is on the backs of taxpayers via ECIDA, NYS, federal or local tax breaks. EVERYTHING... from historic tax breaks for things like the Lafayette Hotel to massive influx of state dollars at canalside, none of it is the result of structural improvements in our economy or the result of any visionary leadership. You can't build out of a failure. The city still bleeds populations, has one of the highest poverty rates of any city over 250,000, is among the most segregated, has one of the worst public urban school districts, and has more vacancy and abandonment in more of the city than areas of strong housing markets. The suburbs aren't any better, the first ring suburbs are increasingly losing population, increasing in poverty, seeing increased vacancy and decreased housing values, and an aging population on limited, fixed incomes.

If anything, the only thing these tax breaks in the city have done is limited development in the suburbs, which is good. But it hasn't had any statistically significant impact on this region's future... Not to say it won't, but the data other than the number of construction permits doesn't support that. This is a region in a global economy and a minor improvements are only minor if they rest of the region continues to decline.

Get out of North Bflo and the Elmwood Village and visit the whole of the east side, much of the west side, black rock, riverside, parts of South Buffalo. The city looks great if you view it through a straw while standing in front of the Blue Monk after paying $9 for a crappy beer. But that's the myopic Buffalo mentality, so desperate for any improvement that they equate bricks and mortar with actual transformational change. But even in the city, the leadership cuts off its nose to spite its face. Giving Uniland millions to build a building for Delaware North so they can move 2 blocks and vacate another entire building is a self-inflicted wound. But hey, let's not consider the chain of vacancy created by stepping into the marketplace and giving one owner an advantage over another that results in a massive loss of property tax on one building that is barely balanced by new taxes on the new building, if even pays taxes at all in the short term.

We're just in the same era are parents and grandparents were when politicians and the developer class promise that is we just give out and receive tax breaks, it'll change. Yeah those $8 an hour jobs selling concession in Canalside, tending bar at the plethora of consumptive class bars and restaurants, and hotel jobs are booming this economy.

Baby steps, dude. Buffalo isn't going to magically become the Emerald City overnight. The fact there is growth and construction in pockets around the city is a good thing, not a negative.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I feel like I just did!

Why is it I keep seeing stories like this. IBM, medical corridor companies, etc. The stories used to always be about job losses:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/04/22/japanese-firm-looks-to-build-r-d-manufacturing.html?ana=twt