Brandon Kaufmann is now 245 lbs

If I'm Easley I would do exactly what I do best...Go out and and make big plays on ST's as a gunner...He's got a very specific skill that makes him a REAL hard player to cut...Due to that I honestly do not see the Bills keeping either Barden or Graham over him this year if it comes down to that...He does not have to play WR much...They'll keep one or two guys on the practice squad for emergencies at WR...But he'll play on almost every ST's unit and play very well there...It's an undervalued skill for a bottom of the roster spot...Championship teams need players like Easley...I really don't think he's got a lot to worry about unless another WR can fill his spot on ST's...Then he would be in trouble... B-)

the point is, he's the last WR on the roster either way. It doesn't take away from his skills as a STer if he were to add a few LBs and play TE. Or at least try too. At the very least, it makes him versatile.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall that this guy caught everything thrown near him during the last preseason. A hybrid TE who can really catch would be useful. And, if he can block at all, just maybe he makes the team. I thought it was interesting he showed up after midseason joining the practice squad.....I think they have been planning this since last training camp when he was cut........this makes a lot of sense to me.

very interested to see what he will look like on the field. i remember him being a very intriguing prospect last year and it will be interesting to see what he looks like in uniform with the added weight. will he lose any speed/quickness due to the added weight and what will he be like as a blocker? and will he be able to keep the weight on during the course of the season? very curious indeed.

Williams

Johnson

Woods

Goodwin

Graham

Barden

At this point it leaves 0 spots remaining. Some can argue that Grahan is gone.aybe true. Either way, if your Easley, would you chance that??? Or would you pack on a little more weight and take a shot at TE?

If I'm Easley I'm 100% doing what I did last year.

the point is, he's the last WR on the roster either way. It doesn't take away from his skills as a STer if he were to add a few LBs and play TE. Or at least try too. At the very least, it makes him versatile.

What makes him more likely to be our 3rd TE than keeping the job that is probably his to lose? Kaufman is closer to the right body type, is on the outside looking in at WR, and has PS eligibility.... Makes more sense to me.

He's 6'2 215lbs and breaks a 4.4 (a big part of being a gunner, remind me the last tight end to fill that role). Packing on pounds will hurt his chances to hang based on special teams and i don't think his body/skillset lends itself to TE better than WR (and unlike kaufmann he can't land on the PS while he learns the job). Becoming an undersized inexperienced TE, a slow gunner, and a chunky WR doesn't make him versatile- it leaves him with no exceptional skills.

Edited by NoSaint

If I'm Easley I'm 100% doing what I did last year.

What makes him more likely to be our 3rd TE than keeping the job that is probably his to lose? Kaufman is closer to the right body type, is on the outside looking in at WR, and has PS eligibility.... Makes more sense to me.

He's 6'2 215lbs and breaks a 4.4 (a big part of being a gunner, remind me the last tight end to fill that role). Packing on pounds will hurt his chances to hang based on special teams and i don't think his body/skillset lends itself to TE better than WR (and unlike kaufmann he can't land on the PS while he learns the job). Becoming an undersized inexperienced TE, a slow gunner, and a chunky WR doesn't make him versatile- it leaves him with no exceptional skills.

fair enough.

IMO, Easley won't be on the team come opening day. He won't make the cut as a WR. And IMO, a TE spot would be much easier to beat someone out because there's Scott Chandler who's automatically got a job. Then there's Moekei, Smith, Gragg who are all bad at best and question marks to make the team.

fair enough.

IMO, Easley won't be on the team come opening day. He won't make the cut as a WR. And IMO, a TE spot would be much easier to beat someone out because there's Scott Chandler who's automatically got a job. Then there's Moekei, Smith, Gragg who are all bad at best and question marks to make the team.

Easley will be an interesting one (and WR in general). I'll be frustrated if we drop a talented WR in order to keep a guy for special teams only. It would be a shame if we hurt the depth on offense/defense by over prioritizing special teams to cover for poor coaching....

I've been so sour on Crossman since even before we signed him that I'll admit I'm to the point that even if the unit succeeds I'll be questioning if it's because they focused so hard on it that it's in spite of him not because of him

Easley will be an interesting one (and WR in general). I'll be frustrated if we drop a talented WR in order to keep a guy for special teams only.

It would be a shame if we hurt the depth on offense/defense by over prioritizing special teams to cover for poor coaching....

I've been so sour on Crossman since even before we signed him that I'll admit I'm to the point that even if the unit succeeds I'll be questioning if it's because they focused so hard on it that it's in spite of him not because of him

With the additions in FA like Graham and Dixon being strong ST players, I think the likelihood of this goes down.

Easley will be an interesting one (and WR in general). I'll be frustrated if we drop a talented WR in order to keep a guy for special teams only. It would be a shame if we hurt the depth on offense/defense by over prioritizing special teams to cover for poor coaching....

Easley has enough value as a bottom-of-depth-chart receiver. We've seen him perform well in preseason and he didn't get enough reps during the regular season to really know if he can perform when his number is called. Some argue that he wasn't getting the reps because he wasn't good enough or that he didn't prove his worth in the few reps he did have, but that's not why he was on the roster last year. He was a top gunner in the NFL and teams need those guys. Look at Slater in NE or Spillman in SF. Those guys are special teams-only players and they are great at what they do. Easley makes the team no matter what, I think.

Kaufmann's best bet to make the roster is at the 3rd TE. We all can agree Chandler will make the cut to the final roster, and between Moeki and Lee Smith you'll have #2. Gragg, if I remember the rules correctly, is not eligible for the PS. Kaufmann becoming the #3 TE/#4 WR and filling a David Nelson role would be tremendous. I just do not know if Hackett can come up with a game plan for him.

I could. I can draw it up easily. SJ13, Woods, Williams @ WR. CJ single back. Kaufmann opposite SJ13 at slot. Let EJ check coverage and either send Kaufman across the middle or run him a out screen as Williams and Woods pull coverage off of him. Spiller there in the flat. Kaufmann blocking if it goes to Spiller. It would be a lineup to get you 4 yards by personnel alone.

Caussin - 3yr, 6-5, 243

6 games, 5 rec, 41 yards, 0 td's (all 2011)

Chandler - 8yr, 6-7, 260

59 games, 135 rec, 1,623 yards, 14 TD's

Gragg - 1yr, 6-3, 244

9 games, 5 rec, 54 yards, 1 TD

Moeaki - 5yr, 6-3, 252

32 Games, 80 rec, 1,009 yards, 4 TD's

Smith - 4yr, 6-6, 265

42 Games, 13 rec, 102 yads, 2 TD's

Kauffman - 1 yr, 6-5, 245 lbs.

PRESEASON

4 games, 5 rec, 85 yards, 1 TD.

Kaufman caught a lot more than 5, at least that many called back due to penality.....I was at the games, saw the action. Preseason not on TV nationally, so many on the board had no opportunity to see him. I had regrets when he didn't make the PS initially, but the Bills did call him back, they also saw something. People who can catch almost anything thrown their way have a potential role on this team. Kaufman did not have a drop in the preseason. He is the anti-Stevie.

Kaufmann's best bet to make the roster is at the 3rd TE. We all can agree Chandler will make the cut to the final roster, and between Moeki and Lee Smith you'll have #2. Gragg, if I remember the rules correctly, is not eligible for the PS. Kaufmann becoming the #3 TE/#4 WR and filling a David Nelson role would be tremendous. I just do not know if Hackett can come up with a game plan for him.

I could. I can draw it up easily. SJ13, Woods, Williams @ WR. CJ single back. Kaufmann opposite SJ13 at slot. Let EJ check coverage and either send Kaufman across the middle or run him a out screen as Williams and Woods pull coverage off of him. Spiller there in the flat. Kaufmann blocking if it goes to Spiller. It would be a lineup to get you 4 yards by personnel alone.

Caussin - 3yr, 6-5, 243

6 games, 5 rec, 41 yards, 0 td's (all 2011)

Chandler - 8yr, 6-7, 260

59 games, 135 rec, 1,623 yards, 14 TD's

Gragg - 1yr, 6-3, 244

9 games, 5 rec, 54 yards, 1 TD

Moeaki - 5yr, 6-3, 252

32 Games, 80 rec, 1,009 yards, 4 TD's

Smith - 4yr, 6-6, 265

42 Games, 13 rec, 102 yads, 2 TD's

Kauffman - 1 yr, 6-5, 245 lbs.

PRESEASON

4 games, 5 rec, 85 yards, 1 TD.

Don't forget, the Bills all but admitted that they had Hackett in over his head last year with developing 2 rookie QBs and a PS with no vet (yes, they tried with Kolb for a vet, it wasn't their fault that didn't pan out) and running the offense as a first year OC. We now have Jim Hostler who it seems will be handling a lot of the OC duties along with Hackett, and a QB coach to handle that part. So it won't be all Hackett, and he could be freed up fromsome of the other duties to come with a game plan for Kaufmann :) Of course - I still think you should get this play over to OBD...

Kaufman caught a lot more than 5, at least that many called back due to penality.....I was at the games, saw the action. Preseason not on TV nationally, so many on the board had no opportunity to see him. I had regrets when he didn't make the PS initially, but the Bills did call him back, they also saw something. People who can catch almost anything thrown their way have a potential role on this team. Kaufman did not have a drop in the preseason. He is the anti-Stevie.

I was also impressed by his college numbers. wow.