7 wealthiest NFL players of all time

Steve O

that's a recipe for success.

http://www.forbes.co...l-estate-mogul/

http://www.nj.com/bu...s_quarterb.html

http://www.dmagazine...es-lang-lasalle

“I couldn’t have retired at my age and just played golf. First of all, they didn’t pay quarterbacks what they do today. And I was 27 with three kids,” he says. “I kept thinking about [what would happen] if some linebacker takes off my head and I can’t play anymore.”

I really think it taught me a lot about teamwork, the importance of someone else other than yourself, how you have your goals, but there’s a team goal and it’s more important sometimes than your own goals. It taught me a lot about perseverance — life has its challenges, you get knocked down and you have to pick yourself back up, and when you’re down don’t change your values or cook your books or give up on your faith; you got to kind of fight through things. Sports taught me that.

The other thing is just hard work. Things just don’t come easy. There’s an old saying: It takes a lot of unspectacular preparation to get spectacular results. Sports taught me that if you’re going to be good at something, you have to pay the price to get there and work hard. That’s transferable if you spend the time at it in business. It’s trust, it’s teamwork, perseverance, hard work — it all comes in handy in business, too.

Roger doled out equity to employees as he built the business and at the time of the sale, he owned only 12% of the company. He put half of his JLL windfall into a trust for his children. Last year was the final payout on the JLL sale and also included a $36.9 million earn-out for the Staubach Co. reaching certain targets. Staubach currently serves as executive chairman of JLL and sits on the board. He still goes to work every day and is active with customers. Forbes estimates he made $12 million last year, including the roughly $4 million directed toward a trust for his children. “I didn’t make enough money in my sport to retire,” says the former QB. Staubach employees are happy for that. Roger made them a bundle in his second career.

http://www.forbes.co...l-estate-mogul/

http://www.nj.com/bu...s_quarterb.html

http://www.dmagazine...es-lang-lasalle

“I couldn’t have retired at my age and just played golf. First of all, they didn’t pay quarterbacks what they do today. And I was 27 with three kids,” he says. “I kept thinking about [what would happen] if some linebacker takes off my head and I can’t play anymore.”

I really think it taught me a lot about teamwork, the importance of someone else other than yourself, how you have your goals, but there’s a team goal and it’s more important sometimes than your own goals. It taught me a lot about perseverance — life has its challenges, you get knocked down and you have to pick yourself back up, and when you’re down don’t change your values or cook your books or give up on your faith; you got to kind of fight through things. Sports taught me that.

The other thing is just hard work. Things just don’t come easy. There’s an old saying: It takes a lot of unspectacular preparation to get spectacular results. Sports taught me that if you’re going to be good at something, you have to pay the price to get there and work hard. That’s transferable if you spend the time at it in business. It’s trust, it’s teamwork, perseverance, hard work — it all comes in handy in business, too.

Roger doled out equity to employees as he built the business and at the time of the sale, he owned only 12% of the company. He put half of his JLL windfall into a trust for his children. Last year was the final payout on the JLL sale and also included a $36.9 million earn-out for the Staubach Co. reaching certain targets. Staubach currently serves as executive chairman of JLL and sits on the board. He still goes to work every day and is active with customers. Forbes estimates he made $12 million last year, including the roughly $4 million directed toward a trust for his children. “I didn’t make enough money in my sport to retire,” says the former QB. Staubach employees are happy for that. Roger made them a bundle in his second career.

Okay...I am embarassed to admit it, but as a kid, the Bills were my favorite team...followed by the Broncos and the Cowboys. The Bills were mostly bad then (talking 70's), and when the Cowboys were on MNF it was a special event to me. Always pulled for the Cowboys over the Raiders and Steelers back then...loved Staubach! Tom Landry was the archetype football coach for me. Of course, my views on the franchise changed when the two JJ's took over...

I would be shocked if Jerry Richardson wasn't #1.

Jerry Richardson played for the Colts for two seasons )(1959-1960)....he is worth somewhere between 1.1 and 2.5 billion dollars, depending on what you read...maybe they are just considering modern era guys?

Okay...I am embarassed to admit it, but as a kid, the Bills were my favorite team...followed by the Broncos and the Cowboys. The Bills were mostly bad then (talking 70's), and when the Cowboys were on MNF it was a special event to me. Always pulled for the Cowboys over the Raiders and Steelers back then...loved Staubach! Tom Landry was the archetype football coach for me. Of course, my views on the franchise changed when the two JJ's took over...

Jerry Richardson played for the Colts for two seasons )(1959-1960)....he is worth somewhere between 1.1 and 2.5 billion dollars, depending on what you read...maybe they are just considering modern era guys?

Re loving Staubach - Jerk! (kidding, kidding. I just always hated the Cowboys)

Re Jerry Richardson - I had no idea who Buftex was talking about, thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned him in the comments following the article.

Edited by Steve O

I am surprised steve young isnt on here. I remember someone posting on here an article re how young still gets paid millions from a shrewdly negotiated and insured USFL contract.

Kind of surprised on that too... I remember, around the time he was inducted into the HOF, hearing a story about how he would never cash the paychecks he got from the LA Express, and the Tampa Bay Bucs. Supposedly, the Bucs had to contact him, after he went to San Francisco, to remind him to cash his checks, as many were set to be void. He used to just throw them in a dresser drawer. He cashed his first check from the Express, and bought a pick-up truck that he drove for most of his NFL career. Just thought it was funny. My own paychecks are spent before I even get them! :lol:

No Ko Simpson?

He's worth thousands!

I am surprised steve young isnt on here. I remember someone posting on here an article re how young still gets paid millions from a shrewdly negotiated and insured USFL contract.

I know he was also one of the first investors in Stubhub.

Staubach was amazing in that he spends 5 years in the Navy, then shares time with Craig Morton for I think 2 more years or so. I think with Morton starting mostly..........And, then becomes the best quarterback of the 70s!

No Ko Simpson?

That's funny!