Game of Thrones: Season 4

Kevin

I thought the last episode was a bit boring until the last couple of scenes. I was disappointed that Arya was not more sympathetic to the Hound at the end. Despite his motivations he did protect her, and I thought he started to care for her in his own way. Hard to top the previous episode with a giant riding a mammoth.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the last episode was a bit boring until the last couple of scenes. I was disappointed that Arya was not more sympathetic to the Hound at the end. Despite his motivations he did protect her, and I thought he started to care for her in his own way. Hard to top the previous episode with a giant riding a mammoth.

the reason I thought it was fantastic was because it was littered with emotional relationships on so many levels.

Jaime and tyrion

Jaime and cersei

Cersei and tywin

Tyrion and tywin

Tyrion and shae

Danaerys and her dragons

And arya and the Hound.

The fight between brienne and the hound was epic.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole episode.

Pasta...I think the whole point of the Hound/Arya story line, all season, was to show how Arya was becoming more and more cold, and devoid of emotions, because pretty much everyone she ever cared about got murdered along the way... and conversely, while the Hound toughened her up, she softened him up a bit... I have not read the books or anything, and I have no idea of what is in store for either character, but I suspect that Arya will become even "colder" as the show progresses... and remember, we didn't actually see the Hound die. I suspect we haven't seen the last of him...somebody (somebody with real motivation) will have to deal with the Mountain at some point... the estranged brotehrs will make for an epic fight.

Pasta...I think the whole point of the Hound/Arya story line, all season, was to show how Arya was becoming more and more cold, and devoid of emotions, because pretty much everyone she ever cared about got murdered along the way... and conversely, while the Hound toughened her up, she softened him up a bit... I have not read the books or anything, and I have no idea of what is in store for either character, but I suspect that Arya will become even "colder" as the show progresses... and remember, we didn't actually see the Hound die. I suspect we haven't seen the last of him...somebody (somebody with real motivation) will have to deal with the Mountain at some point... the estranged brotehrs will make for an epic fight.

I suspect you are correct about Arya. I was disappointed that she was so cold given that he did do a lot to protect her (and her sister as well if I recall correctly - although she did not know that). I also suspect that you are correct that she is going to turn out to be very cold and heartless given all that has happened to her.

I suspect you are correct about Arya. I was disappointed that she was so cold given that he did do a lot to protect her (and her sister as well if I recall correctly - although she did not know that). I also suspect that you are correct that she is going to turn out to be very cold and heartless given all that has happened to her.

Not cold (well, not JUST cold), but focused. The Hound was on her list, after all, and she never allowed herself to forget that.

Honestly, showing Clegane mercy would have run counter to the established character. Arya's always been focused and driven right from the start.

Which will make her reunion w Sansa, who is now becoming savvy and playing the game of thrones herself, quite interesting if and when it ever happens.

Not cold (well, not JUST cold), but focused. The Hound was on her list, after all, and she never allowed herself to forget that.

Honestly, showing Clegane mercy would have run counter to the established character. Arya's always been focused and driven right from the start.

Yeah, she couldn't mercy the Hound -- she never forgot Mycha or that he was on her list.

You are probably correct, but I just thought that (perhaps) their relationship had, for lack of a better term, evolved.

You are probably correct, but I just thought that (perhaps) their relationship had, for lack of a better term, evolved.

Of course, you expected it evolved where she's show him some sympathy...because she had before. When he was injured, and she offered to sterilize the wound for him.

Which now begs the question: was that offer sincere, borne of sympathy? Or was she messing with his head, knowing how much he hates fire? I have to go watch that again now...

Of course, you expected it evolved where she's show him some sympathy...because she had before. When he was injured, and she offered to sterilize the wound for him.

Which now begs the question: was that offer sincere, borne of sympathy? Or was she messing with his head, knowing how much he hates fire? I have to go watch that again now...

Have you read any of the books? I forget...

All of 'em.

Though after book 3, they're less "books" and more "notebooks of story ideas." Reading them was like slogging through a peat bog.

Perhaps a stupid question: If I were to start reading the books, through which book are we up to?

Also, given that I am so emotionally invested in the TV series, should I read the books now or wait until later?

Perhaps a stupid question: If I were to start reading the books, through which book are we up to?

I'd have to look, but off the top of my head...maybe halfway through book 4?

In other words, book 3.5.

Also, given that I am so emotionally invested in the TV series, should I read the books now or wait until later?

Read 'em now. You've got a year until the next season starts, and the producers are sticking with the books only in greater plot points, not so much in the details.

Honestly, I like the series better than the books. Martin seriously needs a good editor to rein him in. The show producers, being time-constrained, cut out a lot of unnecessary bloat.

All of 'em.

Though after book 3, they're less "books" and more "notebooks of story ideas." Reading them was like slogging through a peat bog.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I just started the books two weeks ago, already through the first and about done with the second.

But man, that's a bummer about the last two books! I'm too far deep to turn back now though.

But man, that's a bummer about the last two books! I'm too far deep to turn back now though.

Same way I feel. I'm not looking forward to the next book, because I feel obligated to read it, and I know it's going to hurt. :lol:

Read 'em now. You've got a year until the next season starts, and the producers are sticking with the books only in greater plot points, not so much in the details.

Honestly, I like the series better than the books. Martin seriously needs a good editor to rein him in. The show producers, being time-constrained, cut out a lot of unnecessary bloat.

Somebody gave me the first book, before the show came on... I got about 80 pages in, and I just couldn't do it... love the show, but the writing style is a workout, for me.

Somebody gave me the first book, before the show came on... I got about 80 pages in, and I just couldn't do it... love the show, but the writing style is a workout, for me.

Everytime I walk past the books in the book store I contemplate buying them. Then my wife talks me out of it and says we are pot commented to the show. Might as well wait for the show to finish then pick up the books.

Everytime I walk past the books in the book store I contemplate buying them. Then my wife talks me out of it and says we are pot commented to the show. Might as well wait for the show to finish then pick up the books.

Leave Tom Petty out of this.

Thanks for the advice!