Who would you rather...?

2014 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills #9  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather the Bills draft #9 overall?

• Mike Evans
    • Eric Ebron
    • Taylor Lewan
    • Anthony Barr
    • Haha Clinton-Dix

Trades & teams may vary, but these are (most likely) the Top 8 players that will be off the board once Buffalo picks at #9....

#1 - Texans, Johnny Manziel

#2 - Rams, Jadeveon Clowney

#3 - Jaguars, Teddy Bridgewater

#4 - Browns, Sammy Watkins

#5 - Raiders, Khalil Mack

#6 - Rams, Greg Robinson

#7 - Bucs, Blake Bortles

#8 - Vikings, Jake Matthews

And with the #9 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select.....

Trades & teams may vary, but these are (most likely) the Top 8 players that will be off the board once Buffalo picks at #9....

#6 - Rams, Greg Robinson

#7 - Bucs, Blake Bortles

And with the #9 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select.....

Suggestion - after you get the results of this poll, take the top two guys off the poll and replace them with the bottom two qbs and/or the next two players down the list and run another poll.

Suggestion - after you get the results of this poll, take the top two guys off the poll and replace them with the bottom two qbs and/or the next two players down the list and run another poll.

Can do - why is everyone so in love with a WR @ #9? We just drafted 2 in early rounds last year (Woods + Goodwin)....if any WR this year, I'd go for Watkins....anyone else is just too high.

For me, it makes a lot of sense to trade up with the Rams for #2 if Mack/Clowney is there. Honestly would prefer Mack out of anyone this year, keep the guy in Buffalo and sell some jerseys. I'm salivating at the thought of him & Kiko playing alongside one another.

Can do - why is everyone so in love with a WR @ #9? We just drafted 2 in early rounds last year (Woods + Goodwin)....if any WR this year, I'd go for Watkins....anyone else is just too high.

For me, it makes a lot of sense to trade up with the Rams for #2 if Mack/Clowney is there. Honestly would prefer Mack out of anyone this year, keep the guy in Buffalo and sell some jerseys. I'm salivating at the thought of him & Kiko playing alongside one another.

There has been lots of talk on here as to what the Bills will do if 3 QBs go in the 1st 8. I think that is less likely. I think that it will most likely be 2 and possibly even 1. What do the bills do at 9 if Mack, Clowney, Matthews, Robinson, Watkins, Manziel, Evans and Lewan are of the board? It is possible.

WR is still a need. A #1 WR. The guys they have drafted are perfect complimentary players (which was also needed). Watkins is by far my favorite but I could deal with Evans. I think that it is extremely possible that they trade up for Watkins or even Evans if need be.

Doesn't matter. I made this point in another thread. If you love Evans, you take him. You don't say, "we really like Ray Lewis but we just took a LB in the 2nd and 3rd last year." WR is still a position of need regardless of who they picked last year. Especially a tall one. Edited by metzelaars_lives

WR is still a position of need regardless of who they picked last year. Especially a tall one.

Watkins is 6'1" while Evans is 6'5"....not much taller than the rest of our WR corps which average anywhere from 6'2" to 6'5".....

While I agree it is a position of need, I feel like the difference between Evans & (for example) a Marqise Lee is not giant. Even players like Kelvin Benjamin are projected early-mid 2nd Round picks.

In all honesty, if we aren't trading up for the likes of Clowney (highly unlikely), Mack (PLEASE!) or Watkins....I'd much rather trade back to acquire an additional 2nd Round pick like 2013. Marrone seems to have an eye for talent (see Kiko Alonso, Goodwin, Duke Williams) in later rounds, why not have him dig for gold here or in the 3/4th round for a contributing OL or WR?

The real headscratcher will be if the Bills surprise everyone & take a QB in the 1st.....I can already see the comments now, "Typical Buffalo...."

Watkins is 6'1" while Evans is 6'5"....not much taller than the rest of our WR corps which average anywhere from 6'2" to 6'5".....

While I agree it is a position of need, I feel like the difference between Evans & (for example) a Marqise Lee is not giant. Even players like Kelvin Benjamin are projected early-mid 2nd Round picks.

In all honesty, if we aren't trading up for the likes of Clowney (highly unlikely), Mack (PLEASE!) or Watkins....I'd much rather trade back to acquire an additional 2nd Round pick like 2013. Marrone seems to have an eye for talent (see Kiko Alonso, Goodwin, Duke Williams) in later rounds, why not have him dig for gold here or in the 3/4th round for a contributing OL or WR?

The real headscratcher will be if the Bills surprise everyone & take a QB in the 1st.....I can already see the comments now, "Typical Buffalo...."

That is a different conversation altogether. I was talking about the notion of shying away from a player at 9 that you like based on who you drafted last year. Unless you're the Colts and you drafted Andrew Luck last year, you take your man. And as far as taking a QB at 9, that's why you scout the players. If they think Manziel is the best QB to come out since Luck, you take him. I don't think that's the case and I don't they will take a QB at 9 regardless of who's there but that being said, if they did, it certainly wouldn't be "typical Buffalo." In fact, it would be atypical Buffalo. EDIT: And also, dude, our receivers average 6'2" to 6-5"?? We have three receivers- SJ, Evans and Goodwin. You simply cannot factor guys on the practice squad into the equation when deciding you're taking at 9. "Hey we like Mike Evans but we have Ramses Barden and Kevin Elliott?" Now that is typical Bills.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

#6 - Rams, Greg Robinson

#7 - Bucs, Blake Bortles

Browns will draft Mack if they can

That is a different conversation altogether. I was talking about the notion of shying away from a player at 9 that you like based on who you drafted last year. Unless you're the Colts and you drafted Andrew Luck last year, you take your man. And as far as taking a QB at 9, that's why you scout the players. If they think Manziel is the best QB to come out since Luck, you take him. I don't think that's the case and I don't they will take a QB at 9 regardless of who's there but that being said, if they did, it certainly wouldn't be "typical Buffalo." In fact, it would be atypical Buffalo. EDIT: And also, dude, our receivers average 6'2" to 6-5"?? We have three receivers- SJ, Evans and Goodwin. You simply cannot factor guys on the practice squad into the equation when deciding you're taking at 9. "Hey we like Mike Evans but we have Ramses Barden and Kevin Elliott?" Now that is typical Bills.

Totally agree. I don't want "a" receiver at #9, I want Evans because I think he'll be an absolute stud and he seems to be a perfect fit for what EJ needs -- a big, physical outside threat who can catch inaccurate passes, and who can box out and outleap guys to still be a valid target even when covered. We have shifty/quick/fast guys who can try to get open with route running or pure speed, but 1.) they're not good enough to get WIDE open most of the time, and 2.) EJ isn't good enough (yet) to pull the trigger AND put the ball on the money when a guy is barely open. Even beyond that, most defenses in the NFL are pretty good, and don't really leave guys open all the time. You want to have a good passing attack, it greatly helps to have a guy who can just win one-on-one matchups. How many times in the Chan/Fitz era did we see Donald Jones or TJ Graham try to high-point the ball deep in single coverage and fail miserably? Turn even a quarter of those incompletions into catches and our passing game would be a lot better.

Totally agree. I don't want "a" receiver at #9, I want Evans....

Literally all of you who have been stating we are going with Evans @ #9 can be quiet now....with the Mike Williams trade it's clear we're not taking him. Anyone REALLY want to argue against that? Thank you.

Let's move the discussion back to either trading up (Mack/Robinson) or down (Ebron/Best OL available).

Literally all of you who have been stating we are going with Evans @ #9 can be quiet now....with the Mike Williams trade it's clear we're not taking him. Anyone REALLY want to argue against that? Thank you.

Let's move the discussion back to either trading up (Mack/Robinson) or down (Ebron/Best OL available).

Nah, think I'll go ahead and continue to have my own opinions, but thanks for the suggestion. Please let us know if there are any other topics we're not allowed to discuss or opinions we're not allowed to have.

I think bringing in Williams shows the Bills being cautious. Evans is getting a lot of hype and could easily be gone by our pick. I also really like Mathews from Vandy but not at 9. If Evans is still there I wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick

You need to change the title of this thread.

I know I'm not the only one who was hoping for multiple "would ya" pics ... only to be disappointed that it was about football, of all things.

Nah, think I'll go ahead and continue to have my own opinions, but thanks for the suggestion. Please let us know if there are any other topics we're not allowed to discuss or opinions we're not allowed to have.

Cash - here's an excerpt from the most recently posted article on ESPN with regards to the Mike Williams signing and how it effects the Bills draft strategy....

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8662/bills-marrone-give-williams-second-chance

"Trading for Williams also makes it less likely that the Bills will target one of the top wide receiver prospects -- Clemson's Sammy Watkins or Texas A&M's Mike Evans -- with the ninth overall pick in next month's NFL draft. They could instead turn their attention to one of the top offensive tackles available, although the draft is always a fluid process and much could change based on which players are still on the board. "

You're more than welcome to keep your own opinion....just realize that this isn't politics and that you don't need to be stubborn with variables that we can only speculate. Too bad we don't know each other personally, else I would make a bet against the Bills drafting a WR in the 1st Round.

I mean Jake Matthews is not a for sure goner at nine. The Bucs trade with us might be an indication that Tampa wants Evans, setting up what the bears have in Marshall and Jeffries, but with Evans and Jackson. Matthews seemed like the guy for Tampa but now I'm not so sure.

#6 - Rams, Greg Robinson

#7 - Bucs, Blake Bortles

The best OL available. That's the priority area right now

#protectyourQB

Edited by BmarvB