Petition Time

Coach55

It is now time for Russ and/or the people of Buffalo to petition the NFL to allow for citizens of WNY to own an equity stake in the team similar to Green Bay. It is the only way to assure no future owner moves the team. Assuming there are ~2mm people in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls/Rochester area, I figure it would cost roughly $200 per citizen to obtain enough equity to buy the Bills. This assumes the other $500-600mm would be paid for by the issuance of "Bills Bonds", which should be able to sell with $400mm of equity. I would restrict ownership to those NYS residents west of Syracuse (unfortunately this excludes me personally along with the many former Buffalonians throughout the country), but it would be the only failsafe to prevent some outsider from buying the shares. I presume if the NFL allowed this, you would get a few big shareholders (Rich, Pegula, etc) who would pick up the slack to the extent everyone isn't in. Thoughts?

It is now time for Russ and/or the people of Buffalo to petition the NFL to allow for citizens of WNY to own an equity stake in the team similar to Green Bay. It is the only way to assure no future owner moves the team. Assuming there are ~2mm people in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls/Rochester area, I figure it would cost roughly $200 per citizen to obtain enough equity to buy the Bills. This assumes the other $500-600mm would be paid for by the issuance of "Bills Bonds", which should be able to sell with $400mm of equity. I would restrict ownership to those NYS residents west of Syracuse (unfortunately this excludes me personally along with the many former Buffalonians throughout the country), but it would be the only failsafe to prevent some outsider from buying the shares. I presume if the NFL allowed this, you would get a few big shareholders (Rich, Pegula, etc) who would pick up the slack to the extent everyone isn't in. Thoughts?

Not allowed per NFL by-laws. The Packers are grandfathered in.

I think bills fans need to step it up even more then ever. Sure support has been good for a team that hasn't made the playoff in 14 years, but now it need to be great. We need to show the NFL that the team belongs here based on fan support. Business leaders need to provide corp. sponsorship. He have a 7 year window to support our team. Of that the decision to keep the team in Buffalo will be made in the first 3 to 4 years. Selling out 4 to 5 games a year is not going to do it. The torch has been passed to the fans now. No matter what the teams record is like, or what the weather is, the fans and business community need to show there support. The local hardcore fans also need to understand that southern Ont. plays a very important part in all this as well.

I think he buys the whole thing...I know we have heard that Jim has a group in place, and I have heard this personally from a Bills employee years ago...but Pegula can just buy it outright, and is able to as long as the other team he owns is in the same area...at least this is my hope...Pegs or the Kelly group, and I feel like the NFL and the owners will do what they can within reason to get an owner who wants to keep the team in Buffalo...

Hence why we need to Petition them for an exception.

First, ridiculing this courageous fool is shamefully uninspired. The NFL rules on ownership were not written with the eyes of the public in mind. They are explicitly designed to protect the interests of established, wealthy ownership. They institutionalize financial secrecy, stubborn dealings, private vs. public hostage situations ("I'll take my team to X if you don't give me Y"), and a litany of other things common folk like us raise pitchforks over. The NFL as it stands today, is a collection of rich people's toys.

A loud and articulate statement on the subject, I believe would generate interest/sympathy nationally, especially one tailored to the Buffalo Bills and their current situation.

Second - Coach55 - if you're gonna dream big, why not dream big? 1 Billion dollar kickstarter campaign. No equity, no draconian residency requirements, just a symbolic share which grants you the same rights Green Bay fans are allotted.

We'll get those rich dudes you referenced to bank roll the PR and Marketing campaigns. You watch Jamestown native Roger G's eyes widen as the $$s increase and the stars/politicians start making hay.

I honestly believe we can do this, or, if history is our guide... I know we can at least get pretty damn close.

Edited by TaskerTough

I support this. All options and attempts should be on the table.

I know it against the NFL rules. But hey, exceptions have been made before regarding certain nfl rules.

I agree. The petition should be to members of Congress though. Chuckie Schumer talks a good game, lets see if he actually does anything to keep the Bills here. Here's one: threaten the NFL's anti-trust exemption if it refuses to allow community-owned teams.

First, ridiculing this courageous fool is shamefully uninspired. The NFL rules on ownership were not written with the eyes of the public in mind. They are explicitly designed to protect the interests of established, wealthy ownership. They institutionalize financial secrecy, stubborn dealings, private vs. public hostage situations ("I'll take my team to X if you don't give me Y"), and a litany of other things common folk like us raise pitchforks over. The NFL as it stands today, is a collection of rich people's toys.

A loud and articulate statement on the subject, I believe would generate interest/sympathy nationally, especially one tailored to the Buffalo Bills and their current situation.

Second - Coach55 - if you're gonna dream big, why not dream big? 1 Billion dollar kickstarter campaign. No equity, no draconian residency requirements, just a symbolic share which grants you the same rights Green Bay fans are allotted.

We'll get those rich dudes you referenced to bank roll the PR and Marketing campaigns. You watch Jamestown native Roger G's eyes widen as the $$s increase and the stars/politicians start making hay.

I honestly believe we can do this, or, if history is our guide... I know we can at least get pretty damn close.

Exactly. Just need some famous people with Buffalo ties and politicians with Buffalo ties to start pushing it. Also, would be kind of embarrassing if NYS had NO NFL team. You would think whoever is Governor, and the two Senators would be pushing hard for this.

Exactly. Just need some famous people with Buffalo ties and politicians with Buffalo ties to start pushing it. Also, would be kind of embarrassing if NYS had NO NFL team. You would think whoever is Governor, and the two Senators would be pushing hard for this.

Not sure too many people would notice or care if NYS doesn't have a team. As far as the league is concerned, regarding exposure, ratings...., the Giants and the Jets accomplish what they need even though the stadium is in NJ. They are huge market teams. Buffalo, regardless of being in NYS is small potatoes when it comes to marketing.

NFL will not allow this.

Harrumph

The Bills turn a yearly $30 million dollar profit when all is said and done. This puts them in the middle of the pack of profitability. Given the fact that Ralph Wilson stadium is getting a $250 million upgrade for 6 seasons of football that is a good sign the team won't be leaving before 2019. Count me in the corner of those who say a prospective owner will look at the financials, and say the Bills with virtually no debt, and running around #16 of #32 teams in profitability in the America's most profitable sport represents a good buy.

With so much uncertainty in the NFL today, given concussions and league liabilities, I believe any potential owner would take a "sure thing" over the simple fact that relocating a team takes time to build a new fan base. The debt service is enormous on building new stadiums not including buying a franchise. You can't simply say if we put an NFL stadium in downtown LA they will come. This is not to mention the national hollowing out of the middle class, something buffalo has been dealing with much longer than most NFL cities. Buffalo has hit rock bottom, there's nowhere else to go but up for the region and the team. Look at the demographics and you'll a city that is getting younger, and companies coming to the region due to a low cost of living and quality education. Couple this with the fact that 25% of the fans on gameday are coming 50/50 from Southern Ontario & Rochester and you have a regional franchise encompassing a population that outranks even Pittsburgh in total population within 100 miles of home field.

The best thing our team can do right now from this point forward is WIN!

Edited by Dean Cain

I support this. All options and attempts should be on the table.

I know it against the NFL rules. But hey, exceptions have been made before regarding certain nfl rules.

I agree. Why not? We're talking about a signature. Probably an online one. "Sign" me up.

Harrumph

Well done good sir. Well done.

dude - http://blogs.buffalo...ratings-in-nfl/ - Now think about how hard those games were to watch... we're not small nothin.

That just means a large amount of local residents watch the Bills games. It does not mean we have a large market. We are a small market. The NFL would not be what it is if all the cities with teams were the market size of Buffalo.