Forward Thinking of a Modern HC

T master

With all of the talk here about weather or not EJ is the guy of the future & if we should pick up another QB if one falls in our lap there is one coach that seems to think along those lines .

He references the Redskins to their 2 QB draft a couple of years back which didn't hurt them & may have helped them in some instances when RG3 went down, which happened to EJ last year & has the possibility in a game such as football which as they say any back up is one play away from being a starter .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336603/article/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-might-draft-two-qbs

It just so happens this is also the forward thinking that put our D on the map . And i for one will say i think this year will be a coming out party for this team !!

Enjoy the read ...

Pettine will prove to be a better head coach than Marrone methinks.

Impossible to know...huge difference between running a defense and being in charge of all aspects of a team.

Some people adjust well to getting others to do instead of them doing all the time and some don't...

With all of the talk here about weather or not EJ is the guy of the future & if we should pick up another QB if one falls in our lap there is one coach that seems to think along those lines .

It really has been a brutal winter weather wise.

He references the Redskins to their 2 QB draft a couple of years back which didn't hurt them & may have helped them in some instances when RG3 went down, which happened to EJ last year & has the possibility in a game such as football which as they say any back up is one play away from being a starter .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336603/article/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-might-draft-two-qbs

It just so happens this is also the forward thinking that put our D on the map . And i for one will say i think this year will be a coming out party for this team !!

Enjoy the read ...

With all due respect this is the Bills message board, the Browns message board is over there.

Can you at least wait until the END of next season to say that?

I don't know. They both have an uphill battle from where the franchises they are working for. Neither has a top 20 QB (as far as we know), franchieses have historically lost, and their competition still has them beat.

I don't like either of their chances really. but only time will tell

Enjoy the read ...

I am not sure how you draw this conclusion from that article. It sounds like a lot of "coach speak" to me, along with a reporter lapping it up.

Based on what?

http://www.nfl.com/n...t-draft-two-qbs

Enjoy the read ...

What has drafting Cousins and RGIII done for the Redskins that everyone should use that as the model?

http://www.nfl.com/n...t-draft-two-qbs

Enjoy the read ...

There's a vast difference between

Scenario 1: drafting one QB in the first one season, then drafting a QB high in a subsequent year and

Scenario 2: drafting two QBs in one year, separated by three rounds.

Scenario 2 sets up a dynamic where the first QB selected is likely to be the starter. Scenario 1 exists solely to challenge the first QB picked or to succeed an older one, and has been a very, very rare scenario in the NFL.

What has drafting Cousins and RGIII done for the Redskins that everyone should use that as the model?

I mean, their coach got fired. That's a start, right?

I am not sure how you draw this conclusion from that article. It sounds like a lot of "coach speak" to me, along with a reporter lapping it up.

Based on what?

Based on the futility of the Bills.

Great story, but it's important to consider all chapters in a book before predicting the outcome. For instance the story of the Titanic would read like this:

Chapter I: They built this really cool boat.

Chapter II: They said it could never sink.

Chapter III: Lots of people believed them.

Chapter IV: They had a really nice time.

Chapter V: Leo DiCaprio banged this hot rich girl.

Chapter VI: Holy crap they hit an iceberg.

Chapter VII: Lots of people died swiftly, yet painfully.

The End

I have the miracle draft and playoff run of the Shanahan Washington Redskins as Chapters I thru IV, and Shanahan's post Playoff run as head coach as chapters VI and VII.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

If not for Griffin's catastrophic injury history the Skins would likely have been in the hunt again this season. Shanahan's fortunes were altered more by his inability to protect his greatest asset than by the decision to draft 2 qb's. For what it's worth I would put Cousins and Manuel on the same level at this point, and Cousins was a day 2 pick.

If not for Griffin's catastrophic injury history the Skins would likely have been in the hunt again this season. Shanahan's fortunes were altered more by his inability to protect his greatest asset than by the decision to draft 2 qb's. For what it's worth I would put Cousins and Manuel on the same level at this point, and Cousins was a day 2 pick.

If EJ hadn't gotten injured, the Bills would have been in the hunt. You can't have it whatever way is convenient for you.

If EJ hadn't gotten injured, the Bills would have been in the hunt. You can't have it whatever way is convenient for you.

The drop off from RG3 to Cousins is significantly steeper than that from Manuel to Thad, no?

you're cherry picking facts to build your argument backwards. Cousins is picked to back up rg3 In case something bad happened, and something bad happened. Thereafter there's plenty of controversy surrounding Shanahan's handling of the situation, including his desire to get rg3 back on the field quite possibly much earlier than he should have been. Taken as a whole, the Shanahan era came to what was a very necessary end I'n a relatively short period of time.

I don't wish that upon petine, but this particulary story is a peculiar one to choose to point out a forward thinking coach.

The drop off from RG3 to Cousins is significantly steeper than that from Manuel to Thad, no?

Considering Cousins isn't very good and Thad is better than him, and EJ was a rookie, sure. But RGIII started 13 games and went 3-10.