2014 NFL Compensatory Draft Picks

The Bills received none, but the Patriots got a 4th rounder. WTH?

@BenVolin

#Patriots gained a 4th round pick (140 overall) for losing Chung, Thomas, Welker, Woodhead but adding Amendola, Sopoaga, Svitek

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/03-24-14-compensatory-picks.pdf

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The Bills received none, but the Patriots got a 4th rounder. WTH?

@BenVolin

#Patriots gained a 4th round pick (140 overall) for losing Chung, Thomas, Welker, Woodhead but adding Amendola, Sopoaga, Svitek

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/03-24-14-compensatory-picks.pdf

Yes, they lost more players than they signed. We did not. It's simple. We don't qualify for one next year either, if you want to get upset now instead of next year- get it all out at once

Edited by NoSaint

Yes, they lost more players than they signed. We did not. It's simple. We don't qualify for one next year either, if you want to get upset now instead of next year- get it all out at once

It's not that they got one, they got a 4th round pick. Why did they deserve that and not a 6th round pick?

How are compensatory picks determined? It's just a count of who goes out vs. who comes in?

I figured that we'd get something because Byrd walked this year.

You have to lose more players to qualify. If you do lose more, the salary of the extra guys lost determine the round of the picks. The actual number of picks is determined by the net bodies lost though.

That pats lost one extra body and it was a well paid one.

It's not that they got one, they got a 4th round pick. Why did they deserve that and not a 6th round pick?

Without really digging, my guess is welker was the qualified loss at 6m per year. That would roughly be a 4th based on the salary cutoffs for the round if I remember correctly

What's your justification for a sixth?

Edited by NoSaint

I figured that we'd get something because Byrd walked this year.

The compensatory picks are based on the previous offseason so losing Byrd won't come into play until next year. I wouldn't expect them to receive any next year either considering they have signed more then the lost and the total money is about even

Are ppl really upset that the Pats got a 4th round pick?

Edited by Max997

The compensatory picks are based on the previous offseason so losing Byrd won't come into play until next year. I wouldn't expect them to receive any next year either considering they have signed more then the lost and the total money is about even

Are ppl really upset that the Pats got a 4th round pick?

more imporrtantly are ppl upset we didnt do worse on the FA signings?

The pick is based on how much money the free agent signed for.

Pittsburgh - 3rd round - lost Mike Williams who signed for $60M

Green Bay - 3rd round - lost Greg Jennings who signed for $47.5M

We lost Levitre for $48M, which means we would have had a 3rd round pick if we didn't sign Alan Branch. But because we didn't have a net loss, we get nothing (and nothing next year either).

@theMMQB

Four things @SI_PeterKing has learned at the NFL annual meeting, plus reader mailbag: http://mmqb.si.com/2...tings/ …

When the NFL announced its 32 compensatory draft picks for 2014 late Monday, Baalke was a winner again. For letting high-priced free-agent Dashon Goldson and mid-level guys Delanie Walker and Ted Ginn walk a year ago, the Niners were awarded a third-round pick in the 2014 draft—No. 100 overall in what’s expected to be a rich draft.

These Comp picks are garbage, looks like most of the teams considered as "haves" got extra picks, and the "have nots" got none

if it makes you feel any better, its because the haves let a lot of people walk that ended up on other teams last year.

(while the have nots tend to cut a lot of players instead of letting them play out contracts, or let guys walk that dont play in the league again and sign a lot of middle of the pack guys because they are switching coaches, and flipping schemes and constantly in flux)

Edited by NoSaint

Considering the level of players they gave up, that's a pretty nice haul.

they lost some talent - landry (again 6m a year so im guessing thats the 4 like i said for the pats/welker up thread), then guys like devito, shonn greene, dustin keller, yeremiah bell.... heck, brandon moore retiring instead of playing for someone else cost them a pick.... they lost some contributors for sure.

Edited by NoSaint

You have to lose more players to qualify. If you do lose more, the salary of the extra guys lost determine the round of the picks. The actual number of picks is determined by the net bodies lost though.

That pats lost one extra body and it was a well paid one.

Without really digging, my guess is welker was the qualified loss at 6m per year. That would roughly be a 4th based on the salary cutoffs for the round if I remember correctly

What's your justification for a sixth?

The bold is true, but if not enough teams have had a net loss, they will go to teams that have a net zero. Meaning lost someone gained someone equally. Happened to Indy last year Indy and NYG last year.

They obviously had enough teams this year.

The bold is true, but if not enough teams have had a net loss, they will go to teams that have a net zero. Meaning lost someone gained someone equally. Happened to Indy last year Indy and NYG last year.

They obviously had enough teams this year.

yup - that was an extreme cliffnotes version. ive probably typed more extensive ones a dozen times this offseason alone though and didnt feel like getting into the full system. the max you can get with a net of 0 is a 7th rounder that comes behind all the teams that lost guys. if you still arent to 32 picks given out they simply start an 8th round as well....