2014 NFL Compensatory Draft Picks

We lost Levitre for $48M, which means we would have had a 3rd round pick if we didn't sign Alan Branch. But because we didn't have a net loss, we get nothing (and nothing next year either).

I like Branch, but are you saying we effectively gave up a 3d round pick for him?!?!? If so, that is idiotic.

yup - that was an extreme cliffnotes version. ive probably typed more extensive ones a dozen times this offseason alone though and didnt feel like getting into the full system. the max you can get with a net of 0 is a 7th rounder that comes behind all the teams that lost guys. if you still arent to 32 picks given out they simply start an 8th round as well....

I've explained the same earlier this year, when the discussion came up. I thought there would be enough teams this year and the Bills wouldn't get one, so I wasn't surprised. There's a guy in a philly paper that's correctly "predicted" the teams/picks for 3 years and he didn't have the Bills getting one either, so again not a surprise.

I like Branch, but are you saying we effectively gave up a 3d round pick for him?!?!? If so, that is idiotic.

Look back at the first compensatory pick for the past 10 years, and you'll find it's hardly idiotic. You've got 4 defensive players who had fewer tackles in their career than Branch had last year with the Bills, a couple skill players who bounced around practice squads, a guard who started 1 game in his two years in the NFL, two maaaaybe Alan Branch level defensive players in Landon Johnson and Eric Smith...oh, and of course, the greatest player of all time in Chasm Rinegartholtner.

• 2 weeks later...

MMQB had a note about compensatory picks, and it was the second article this week that ive seen about teams making decisions with those picks in mind (the other being about the packers)....

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/07/st-louis-rams-nfl-draft-monday-morning-quarterback/2/

“All of those players we signed last year were free agents and weren’t UFAs,” general manager Ozzie Newsome said. “They were cap causalities of other teams, which allowed us to be able to maintain our compensatory picks for the guys we lost. So there is a rhyme and reason in how we acquire players—to continue to maintain our ability to stay strong going forward. And we will do the same [this year].”

figured it was worth mentioning as its another discussion point on an oft misunderstood aspect of the offseason. it doesnt go into depth, but the article discusses some of the concepts.

Edited by NoSaint