Aaron Murray in the 3rd round

freester

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That may or may not be true re:Murray. I agree that all signs point to his full recovery, but in my mind - between his questionable NFL chops and his injury, 3rd round is just too much of a gamble, let alone in a Draft when arguably the two deepest positions are of the greatest need for the BILLS, at present.

To your other question about 3rd rounders "ready to play", Goodwin comes to mind...in 2013 Tyrann Mathieu and Keenan Allen also come to mind

2012: Russell Wilson, Nick Foles and T.Y. Hilton to name a few from that Draft...are they usually counted on to be Day 1 starters? No...but that doesn't mean you can't find them if Drafting intelligently and carefully....as opposed to 6th or 7th round talent, that is far more likely to end up on STs or in back up positions to begin their career.

i was getting after QBs with the statement more particularly.... and id say RW was the exception to the rule, and he didnt really play well in september either. you dont take any qb in the third round expecting game snaps early, so murrays injury shouldnt be a huge deterrent compared to other mid round qb prospects.

ive never been a huge midround qb guy, but id take a guy that fell due to injury over one that fell because he didnt play well enough or didnt have the skill set to go higher. not that many work out regardless.

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson when we needed a QB and the consensus pick was Wilson, Buddy sucks.

Quarterback needy teams of 2012 who also passed on RW in the third round:

1. St. Louis

2. Minnesota

3. Denver

4. Houston

5. Jacksonville

6. Kansas City

I'm sure you've invalidated their GM's as well.

BTW: Jacksonville used that pick on a punter.

Edited by The Big Cat

1. St. Louis Had Sam Bradford who they had drafted 1st overall two years prior

2. Minnesota Had drafted Christian Ponder 12th overall one draft prior

3. Denver Had signed Peyton Manning a month prior

4. Houston Had Matt Schaub who threw for 2,479 yards 15 TD's and 6 INT's, with a 61.0 completion % and a QB rating of 90.7 in 10 games the season prior to the draft. The season before that he threw 4,370 yards 24 TD's 12 INT's with a completion % of 63.6 and a QB rating of 96.8 in 16 games. The year before that 4,770 in yards 29 TD's 15 INT's completions % 67.9 and a QB rating of 98.6 in 16 games.

5. Jacksonville Drafted Blaine Gabbert 10th overall the previous draft.

6. Kansas City Matt Cassell sucked that year and they probably should have taken him.

pwned

I love the idea but I'd target the 4th or 5th round! The kids can sit and heal for a year and learn from film and watching and next year you have a guy who could compete if EJ struggles!

I say the 4th or 5th because it's unlikely with his knee anyone will waste a 3rd rounder on a guy who'll sit on IR all year.

It's not just the injury, it's getting meaningful snaps and staying healthy. People are mocking EJ for his knee injuries last year and want the Bills to draft an insurance QB, and this guy tears his ACL in college. Makes no sense.

Did he tear his ACL three times?

Yeah, because they're comparable. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should call him Aaron Murr-knee?

Sitting time is sitting time. Injury prone vs a horrible injury are two different things.

Love the nickname though.

pwned

You missed one.

Ryan Fitzpatrick won 5 games out of the gate playing lights out and putting the team on his back. Paid a big contract as the franchise QB. Lost the rest of his games unable to put up enough points to counteract our horrible defense. Freddy Jackson, perhaps the most important player on offense, goes down with an injury. Williams getting absolutely rocked while playing corner. Nonexistent pass rush. 1 7th round WR and 2 UDFA's WR's starting.

No chance we were drafting a QB then. Wilson was percieved as a possible backup hence being available in the third. Way too many holes on that roster to pad the QB position. He wasn't gonna be a SB winner on that team anyway.

Edited by FireChan

Sitting time is sitting time. Injury prone vs a horrible injury are two different things.

You missed one.

Ryan Fitzpatrick won 5 games out of the gate playing lights out and putting the team on his back. Paid a big contract as the franchise QB. Lost the rest of his games unable to put up enough points to counteract our horrible defense. Freddy Jackson, perhaps the most important player on offense, goes down with an injury. Williams getting absolutely rocked while playing corner. Nonexistent pass rush. 1 7th round WR and 2 UDFA's WR's starting.

No chance we were drafting a QB then. Wilson was percieved as a possible backup hence being available in the third. Way too many holes on that roster to pad the QB position. He wasn't gonna be a SB winner on that team anyway.

Good post F C.

I had forgotten what sorry condition the team was actually in back then.

An ACL injury, suffered in college no less, isn't a better situation. Again if you think EJ is injury prone, you don't even want to think about Murr-knee.

Way too many holes on that roster to pad the QB position.

LMFAO!! To pad the QB position? Seriously? Everyone was so convinced that Ryan Fitzpatrick who finished the season with 24 TD's and 23 INT's including 10 TD's and 16 INT's in his last 9 games in 2011 was the QB we were looking for, that drafting a QB in the 3rd round would be "padding" the QB position? Even despite the fact that Tyler freaking Thigpen was the only other QB on the roster???

I seriously do not know where you guys come up with this stuff. Please just stop with these asinine arguments with no factual basis or evidence to back to back it up, designed to protect you own feelings about Buddy Nix. Who for some reason despite actual results is treated like the 2nd coming around here. It is sickening.

Edited by Proteus

LMFAO!! To pad the QB position? Seriously? Everyone was so convinced that Ryan Fitzpatrick who finished the season with 24 TD's and 23 INT's including 10 TD's and 16 INT's in his last 9 games in 2011 was the QB we were looking for, that drafting a QB in the 3rd round would be "padding" the QB position? Even despite the fact that Tyler freaking Thigpen was the only other QB on the roster???

I seriously do not know where you guys come up with this stuff. Please just stop with these asinine arguments with no factual basis or evidence to back to back it up, designed to protect you own feelings about Buddy Nix. Who for some reason despite actual results is treated like the 2nd coming around here. It is sickening.

And you'd be willing to draft an undersized 3rd round QB to compete for the starting job? Seriously? When literally every position on our roster was in need of competent players except for safety? Or would you have screamed that it's the "Trent" pick all over again, and we are failing to address the most important position in the game?

How would Wilson have played on that roster? With a defense that's an absolute dumpster fire? WR's who were all street free agents until week 6 this year? Naaman Roosevelt, who isn't even in the league anymore?

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't finish strong, I'll give you that. But you know what? We wouldn't have won a game that season without him. And we had just given him a contract. Seeing as your argument for the other GM's getting a pass because they were paying Sam Bradford (what a stud that guy is), I fail to see how you don't understand the point. Gabbert had one of the worst seasons as a QB EVER. We had rationale that, in hindsight, didn't pay off. We had some of the slowest WR's in the league. No one to spread the field. Graham ran fast and was available in the 3rd round.

Seeing as Wilson turned out great, how do those others teams get a pass? Shouldn't they have known, just like Buddy should have? There's a reason why Buddy is still apart of the franchise, and why armchair, hindsight GM's are not. It's because he had some pretty good hits and not too many misses.

RF really had to sling it to win. Was he Tom Brady or Peyton Manning-esque? DId he throw 50 TD's and 8 picks? Nope. But to look at what he had to try to overcome. The Raiders put up 35? Cowboys 44? Phins 35? Chargers 37? Gets us up 21-0 to the Pats, and our defense allows 49 unanswered in 3 quarters? It's not easy to say, "we're giving up on you because you can't score 40 a game without throwing a couple picks."

Man, I really hope I'm not getting trolled here. Wouldn't that be ironic?

An ACL injury, suffered in college no less, isn't a better situation. Again if you think EJ is injury prone, you don't even want to think about Murr-knee.

1 injury, 1 surgery. 3 injuries, 2 surgeries. Again, I'm not saying Murray is ideal. But in pure terms, EJ looks more injury prone than him. ACL's are worse, but he's only been hurt once, not 3 times.

Good post F C.

I had forgotten what sorry condition the team was actually in back then.

Thanks. I know it's easy to kick and scream about Nix not building a winner, but you look at the guys he's drafted and brought in and he really did well at shoring up most of our gaping holes. Gilmore, Mario, Byrd, Glenn, Dareus, Spiller, Brooks, Chandler, Searcy, Moats, Bradham, Easley. Not all starters or HoFers, but solid players/depth and contributors. The roster is very much improved since before the Buddy era, and even though our record remains the same, the potential is much higher.

Edited by FireChan

This pick would not surprise me at all. Given the success of Russell Wilson and Drew Brees and that Buddy is still scouting the SEC for us.

They didn't do it when Wilson was there & have said they aren't going to do it this year which IMHO is pretty foolish putting all your eggs in one basket but there has been a lot of moves the Bills have done that i haven't understood .

I think we should se our 3rd round pick for the best LB available & get a QB in the 4th depending on who is there . If Garrapollo, Boyd, or McCarron is there i would snatch any of them up in a heart beat !!

Would be a great back up plan & taken that late wouldn't hurt EJ's feelings as has been said !!

1. St. Louis

2. Minnesota

3. Denver

4. Houston

5. Jacksonville

6. Kansas City

Thank you. + 1

We need a 3rd round starter. I can understand taking a QB late in the draft, but I'd much rather pick up Kyle Orton when Dallas cuts him. We planned to have Mr. Glass (Kolb) as the older back up to teach as much as be reliable if our rookie was hurt. Kyle Orton is a very good back up QB. He could help EJ. We don't need another rookie in the stable. Dallas just signed Weeden so Orton is expendable.

This would be the smart move. This way our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks can be spent on lineman, TE, WR, etc.

I still wish we would have pocked up Donald Penn for RT, and couLd focus on weapons for EJ with the first three picks.

1 injury, 1 surgery. 3 injuries, 2 surgeries. Again, I'm not saying Murray is ideal. But in pure terms, EJ looks more injury prone than him. ACL's are worse, but he's only been hurt once, not 3 times.

To me, a guy who suffers a major injury playing against college players looks more injury prone. Since I don't have a crystal ball and don't know what the future holds for him or EJ, I don't think it's smart taking a guy who was already seriously injured in college to potentially be the replacement for another guy who people think is injury prone after suffering far less serious injuries.

i was getting after QBs with the statement more particularly.... and id say RW was the exception to the rule, and he didnt really play well in september either. you dont take any qb in the third round expecting game snaps early, so murrays injury shouldnt be a huge deterrent compared to other mid round qb prospects.

ive never been a huge midround qb guy, but id take a guy that fell due to injury over one that fell because he didnt play well enough or didnt have the skill set to go higher. not that many work out regardless.

To your last point, I agree. There are the rare Brady exceptions, but for the most part, if you want an upper echelon QB, you have to go 1st or 2nd Round. Kaepernick being a recent 2nd rounder but Brees would also fit that mold, but still there are very, very few. And in today's NFL and with all the information and technology, you almost HAVE to invest a 1st round Draft pick at the most important position on the field, when the team and Franchise are ready....and, due to the college game, you can only give these QBs a year or two to demonstrate if they have the talent, intelligence, and work ethic to succeed in the NFL.....for me, 2014 it is all on EJ, regardless of reason, i.e. injury or poor play, if he doesn't prove he can be that Franchise QB to lead this team, 2015 is sell all the Draft chips to get THAT guy, no matter what you have to do...this team is poised to make a real case for being a contender..and with this year's Draft, if Whaley et. al. can duplicate last year's success, there's real promise for that happening.

Thank you. + 1

+2

To me, a guy who suffers a major injury playing against college players looks more injury prone. Since I don't have a crystal ball and don't know what the future holds for him or EJ, I don't think it's smart taking a guy who was already seriously injured in college to potentially be the replacement for another guy who people think is injury prone after suffering far less serious injuries.

An ACL can be totally non-contact... This isn't a guy that got blown up by a 280lbs DT that's going to be selling cars and broke 3 ribs and seperated a shoulder under him worrying about how he will handle 330lbs monsters.... His knee got twisted funny and the ligament tore. A cleat sticking in the turf can cause that at any level and with a successful surgury he may end up with a knee just as, or more, structurally sound as when he started.