Sammy Watkins, worth trading up for? What cost?

MClem06

JAX may be a good partner to swap picks with if we were really interested in doing so but what would we be giving up this year or next? Another question would be is he worth it , is he that kind of talent and does it drop off big from him to Mike Evans in regards to full package and playmaking ability? Anyone who watches college football (not me) could have valid discussion here I'd enjoy hearing what you have to say.

I know we need O-Line but man that is soooo boring of a pick to spend in the first round.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they equals in regards to skill? Why is Watkins the one being compared to Calvin Johnson and not Evans? Or do you just own a Lee Evans Jersey and hope he picks 83 when he signs? On that note I wonder how many Bills fans we'll see at the games that will use the old tape maneuver over the number if we do draft him.

Edited by MClem06

Are they equals in regards to skill? Why is Watkins the one being compared to Calvin Johnson and not Evans?

watkins is not being compared to megatron. he's not a big guy. not sure where you got that from. evans is huge, he's the big receiver we are missing on this team. to move up from 9 to 2 would take a lot. we arent a good enough team to be trading away players

If Watkins ever slipped to 5 or 6 and you only had to give up 9 & 41 absolutely. The problem is that it is looking more and more likely that he will come off the board at 2.

Realistically Evans is probably the target at 9. I was against it at 1st but have warmed to it a little.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

You know, I'm typically not a trade up guy & I don't profess to be a student of the college game, but (prefacing with if the Bills land Spikes)...If the Bills think he's the difference maker then gosh darn it...go get him. So far they've done a nice job filling holes, maybe now they have the luxury of being able to give away picks to move up.

Not sure how many spots we would have to move up... I would be willing to swap 1sts and add a third. Don't want to give away a 2nd, we still have too many needs. Perhaps would go as far as a 3rd and a 5th/6th, but that's it. That probably enables us to move up 2-3 spots, so he would have to be available at #6 at the least....

Edited by cage

Supposedly the Bills are enamored with Watkins. If they can get up there to get him without having to sacrifice next year's first then go for it. I'm not sold on EJ personally so I would hate to not have a 1st and potentially need a QB in 2015. They still need to address RT (unless they believe Hairston is ready). Otherwise a dynamic skill player is the biggest need. Watkins and the BPA the rest of the way (primarily on offense).

He's a hell of a player and it's becoming clear (dependent on Spikes) that they want to bring in lots of offensive draft picks this year. 9 & 41 might do it, though I agree we can't give away next year's 1st rounder. If we took watkins and then stocked up on OLinemen starting in the 3rd round I'd be okay with that.

They aren't going to trade up. Watkins is a great reciever but he is not big like Evans, who will go up and get the ball. They both are

playmakers but different. We need a big reciever who can go up and get the ball and not drop it. That is Evans. A lot of people are on the

benjamin train but he has too many drops for me and we already have a receiver who does that.Yeah stevie...

Evans reminds me of irvin or jeffreys..put him with woods, stevie and goodwin..oh boy...

trading up into the top 5 is never a good idea

Maybe in the old days when salaries were out of control for those picks but with the new rookie cap it makes a lot of sense if there is a guy you really want.

I am in on trading up for Sammy and wouldn't mind a slight overpayment. I think he is going to be a really speical player.

Trading #9 and #41 for Sammy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> take Evans at #9.

Supposedly the Bills are enamored with Watkins. If they can get up there to get him without having to sacrifice next year's first then go for it. I'm not sold on EJ personally so I would hate to not have a 1st and potentially need a QB in 2015. They still need to address RT (unless they believe Hairston is ready). Otherwise a dynamic skill player is the biggest need. Watkins and the BPA the rest of the way (primarily on offense).

Unless EJ is given every possible weapon I fear that the FO and fans will continue with excuses if he doesn't make a big jump next season. I can't say how much better I think Watkins will be than Evans. If the difference is marginal then let it be. If it's a chasm then try to get your guy.

It's considered what may be the deepest draft ever, and people want to trade away high picks.

From my standpoint the Bills have decent depth in most places. They need quality and not quantity. It comes down to something like is this team better with Sammy Watkins or Antonio Richardson & Mike Evans? Again, I am not for crazy overpayment but if you can get the top graded WR in 4 years when it is a need I am all for it.

From my standpoint the Bills have decent depth in most places. They need quality and not quantity. It comes down to something like is this team better with Sammy Watkins or Antonio Richardson & Mike Evans? Again, I am not for crazy overpayment but if you can get the top graded WR in 4 years when it is a need I am all for it.

My thinking exactly, I was all aboard the WR/OT/LB train with the first 3 picks but the LB situation looks to be improving. Sammy with Rd1/Rd2 picks and then an OT in Rd3. Buffalo needs to start looking for elite players.

I would rather keep both #9 and #41, (jeez, a top ten pick should bring in a pretty good quality player) knowing that at #41 you should get a guy that any other year would likely be a top 20 pick. It's crazy to throw that away, especially considering that next years draft will be thin.

Luckily, I doubt they are that foolhardy.

I'd trade Marcell Dareus to whichever team wanted to swap picks for the chance to draft Watkins. I'm serious.

Why? Because IMO Dareus is a player that doesn't give full effort and he won't justify a huge contract after 2014. Also, I get the feeling he doesn't like being a Bill, that he wants to play closer to home and I'd like the Bills to get something very positive from his departure unlike what happened with Byrd.

I'd be nice if we could pick up Wilfork for a couple of years and groom a later round DT, but I'd still do the trade regardless.

As someone stated above, this may be the deepest draft ever. This team hs 5 or 6 major holes even after the recent FA signings. WR is only one of those holes and not the most concerning. They should trade down twice in the first three rounds to get a total of 6 picks by the time they pick in the early fourth round.

They could use a RT, another interior lineman (C/G), two linebackers, a WR, a TE, a true SS, a punter, a project QB, a back up RB, and a DE.

So no they should not trade up to get anyone.