Hot for teacher PA style

Gary M

The "kid" is 18 -- am I missing something? Dude scored big time. Parents must be behind this. Oh, and more pics, please.

It's the whole teacher/student law that they broke. She, as a teacher, is in a position of authority and took advantage of said power. While on the outside, it looks consensual, it's hard to tell because a teacher/student dynamic is so lopsided. She very easily could have been "forcing" him into the relationship by failing him, or other academic "punishment".

It's the whole teacher/student law that they broke. She, as a teacher, is in a position of authority and took advantage of said power. While on the outside, it looks consensual, it's hard to tell because a teacher/student dynamic is so lopsided. She very easily could have been "forcing" him into the relationship by failing him, or other academic "punishment".

I'm not buying it. That kid was having the time of his life -- he was sending photos to the teacher also. Mommy and daddy (and now the "authorities") had to go and ruin it for a kid who is old enough to serve in our armed forces but apparently not allowed to boink whomever he wants.

It's the whole teacher/student law that they broke. She, as a teacher, is in a position of authority and took advantage of said power.

I'm sorry, but that (the law, not your post) is just bullsh--. I understand why a school district would have such a policy and may choose to dismiss a teacher for violating such policy, but to deem consensual sex between consenting adults a criminal act is just absurd.

I'm sorry, but that (the law, not your post) is just bullsh--. I understand why a school district would have such a policy and may choose to dismiss a teacher for violating such policy, but to deem consensual sex between consenting adults a criminal act is just absurd.

Agreed. IMO, there should be some kind of national database school systems can use to keep track of these teachers who break rules like this so that they can't just jump around without their new employers knowing their history. Outside of that, the "law" should stay out of it when the age of consent is met.

This is just plain un-American. Who the heck makes these laws? Commies?

:nana:

Totally agree!

I'm not buying it. That kid was having the time of his life -- he was sending photos to the teacher also. Mommy and daddy (and now the "authorities") had to go and ruin it for a kid who is old enough to serve in our armed forces but apparently not allowed to boink whomever he wants.

That's all fine and good, but I'm just explaining where a law like that comes from. To me the law makes sense.

Is this a situation in which the teacher should get in trouble? Personally, as long as an investigation finds that the student didn't feel forced into the situation in any way, then I don't see any harm done. But the law is there to keep teachers from taking advantage of their students, whether they are an "adult" or not.

That's all fine and good, but I'm just explaining where a law like that comes from. To me the law makes sense.

Is this a situation in which the teacher should get in trouble? Personally, as long as an investigation finds that the student didn't feel forced into the situation in any way, then I don't see any harm done. But the law is there to keep teachers from taking advantage of their students, whether they are an "adult" or not.

Right. You can't make for-guys-only laws. I'm thinking if your 18-year-old daughter is hooking up with her physics teacher, you're going to think something's morally/otherwise wrong with that, despite her age.

Right. You can't make for-guys-only laws. I'm thinking if your 18-year-old daughter is hooking up with her physics teacher, you're going to think something's morally/otherwise wrong with that, despite her age.

Morally wrong? Yes. Should school systems have policies against it? Yes. Should she lose her job? Yes.

But criminal prosecution? No crime was committed. They were both legal adults. There was no accusation, much less evidence that the relationship was not entered into freely by both parties. The 'level of authority' argument can be applied to just about any supervisor/subordinate relationship. Your company may have a policy forbidding you to sleep with your subordinate, but if you do you aren't going to prison over it -- unless (maybe) it can be shown that you blackmailed or coerced your subordinate into the relationship. And that's the leap that being made here with these charges --- there is a presumption of guilt that the level of authority was abused.

If the same two people slept together at the same ages only he was a college freshman and she was a Psych 101 prof, no one would care, much less be clamoring for prison time.

Morally wrong? Yes. Should school systems have policies against it? Yes. Should she lose her job? Yes.

But criminal prosecution? No crime was committed. They were both legal adults. There was no accusation, much less evidence that the relationship was not entered into freely by both parties. The 'level of authority' argument can be applied to just about any supervisor/subordinate relationship. Your company may have a policy forbidding you to sleep with your subordinate, but if you do you aren't going to prison over it -- unless (maybe) it can be shown that you blackmailed or coerced your subordinate into the relationship. And that's the leap that being made here with these charges --- there is a presumption of guilt that the level of authority was abused.

If the same two people slept together at the same ages only he was a college freshman and she was a Psych 101 prof, no one would care, much less be clamoring for prison time.

Is this your way of answering my question?

These are good points, but, for example, the age of consent here in N.C. is 16. I can't shake the thought that if a 52-year-old teacher is having sex with a high school sophomore he doesn't belong in the ol' hoosegow.