Jason Campbell anyone???

Obviously, Shaun Hill is available and obviously he has history with some of the staff. So Hill would obviously be a more obvious choice than Campbell... obviously. It's so obvious, it's obvious.

I have to say, I keep hearing Shaun Hill mentioned in connection to the Bills, and I understand why, with the connection to our new QB coach...but why is it that I can't remember a seeing this guy take a single snap in the NFL? I know he did, mostly from 2008-10 with the 49ers and Lions...career 85.9 QB rating...but what is his style? Is he mobile? Arm strength?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotoworld said it best in that this is a pitiful quarterback free agent market. When a guy like Campbell is at the top of the list of that market, that tells you truly how bad it really is. When all is said and done, I look at the QB situation pretty simply. With very few exceptions, teams are not putting backup quarterbacks on the bench with the expectation that they're going to lose their starter to either injury or just poor play. Where that leaves this situation is that Lewis and Tuel both have a year of this offense under their belts. Lewis has almost identical performance measures to Campbell in terms of completion percentage, rating , QBR, etc. At the end of the day, Campbell isn't an upgrade to anything they already have. The QB situation will not be competitive in any way, so to a degree it becomes pointless to continue to pontificate about it. It would be more productive to talk about what the Bills are going to do with Dustin Hopkins now that they've signed Dan Carpenter. LOL.

Released by Cleveland. Has always been a solid back-up. Was playing well in Oakland until he got hurt. He is better than Tuel or Lewis.

I would take him at 1 million a year and release Lewis.

No thank you.

i think you are wrong. he has an accrued season, and i believe suited up on sunday atleast 9 times (as we always had injuries he was OFTEN our #1 backup).

You are probably right, but I can't find anywhere how many games Tuel was on the active roster. I think the rule is that a player with one accrued NFL season can go on the PS, if he has been active in no more than 8 games. I am fairly certain he was active game day up through, at leats, week 10. He would have been EJ, and then Lewis back-up...after that he would have only been in-active for the handful of games that EJ and Lewis were both healthy at the same time. So I am betting he was active for at least 12 games.

You are probably right, but I can't find anywhere how many games Tuel was on the active roster. I think the rule is that a player with one accrued NFL season can go on the PS, if he has been active in no more than 8 games. I am fairly certain he was active game day up through, at leats, week 10. He would have been EJ, and then Lewis back-up...after that he would have only been in-active for the handful of games that EJ and Lewis were both healthy at the same time. So I am betting he was active for at least 12 games.

im pretty sure last year we tallied it up mid season to see what week hed officially cross the line and im almost 100% sure he did. EJ and thad were very rarely healthy in the same weeks.

I've always kind of liked Campbell. I remember him playing a great game in the Ralph a few years back. I don't hate Thad either though. If you can get Campbell at the right price I am cool with it.

I would do it. He's better than Thad (who has had, what, a couple decent NFL games). People become enamored too quickly with fluky QB play. Thad could be good, but Campbell has good NFL stats. (not all star, but if we draft some people around him, he can get you to the playoffs). 87 QB rating, 87 TD's to 60 INT's, and he has not been surrounded by players like SJ, Woods, CJ, Freddie, and whoever we draft on offense (Evans, etc) while playing for Washington, Oakland, and CLE. This is a guy who if EJ falters can get us to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jasoncampbell/2506364/careerstats

I realize Campbell isn't an exciting pick as a backup, but he has up some pretty decent numbers over the years, on some of the NFL's worst/most dysfunctional teams. It is fun to just say "no thanks"...but people saying this are the same ones who will complain about how much Lewis and Tuel suck.

Rotoworld said it best in that this is a pitiful quarterback free agent market. When a guy like Campbell is at the top of the list of that market, that tells you truly how bad it really is. When all is said and done, I look at the QB situation pretty simply. With very few exceptions, teams are not putting backup quarterbacks on the bench with the expectation that they're going to lose their starter to either injury or just poor play. Where that leaves this situation is that Lewis and Tuel both have a year of this offense under their belts. Lewis has almost identical performance measures to Campbell in terms of completion percentage, rating , QBR, etc. At the end of the day, Campbell isn't an upgrade to anything they already have. The QB situation will not be competitive in any way, so to a degree it becomes pointless to continue to pontificate about it. It would be more productive to talk about what the Bills are going to do with Dustin Hopkins now that they've signed Dan Carpenter. LOL.

Lewis has nowhere near the same numbers as Campbell. It's not even close. Lewis: 6TD, 5 Int. Nope, not a one year number, over his time in the NFL, which is a much smaller sample size than Campbell. Campbell also has a higher passer rating, over many more years. I'd keep Lewis, sign Campbell, and cut or PS Tuel.

http://www.nfl.com/player/thadlewis/497121/careerstats

I realize Campbell isn't an exciting pick as a backup, but he has up some pretty decent numbers over the years, on some of the NFL's worst/most dysfunctional teams. It is fun to just say "no thanks"...but people saying this are the same ones who will complain about how much Lewis and Tuel suck.

exactly.

Three reasons (at least):

1. Vince Young

2. Kevin Kolb

3. Tarvaris Jackson

Vince Young: headcase

Kolb: injured, never played.

TJaxon: never given a chance.

Listing those players is a false equivalency.

Career completion percentage - Campbell - 60.3%, Lewis - 60.4%. Rating, Campbell - 81.8, Lewis - 81.4. Yeh, they're not similar at all. :wallbash: Sure, sample sizes are different, but it's pretty irrelevant. Your false equivalency is that Campbell brings something we don't already have, which he does not. Just another journeyman quarterback that has seen too many teams in his career. I'll bet you his ability to hold a clip board is no different than Lewis or Tuel.

Career completion percentage - Campbell - 60.3%, Lewis - 60.4%. Rating, Campbell - 81.8, Lewis - 81.4. Yeh, they're not similar at all. :wallbash: Sure, sample sizes are different, but it's pretty irrelevant. Your false equivalency is that Campbell brings something we don't already have, which he does not. Just another journeyman quarterback that has seen too many teams in his career. I'll bet you his ability to hold a clip board is no different than Lewis or Tuel.

What was the #1 problem with this offense last year: lack of a QB with experience. You want experience in a backup situation. I'm not saying get rid of Thad. But let Thad and Campbell go after the backup spot in training camp/preseason. Tuel is not the answer. What is the downside here? EJ's need situation is troublesome, and if he gets hurt, I want a decent backup.

Edited by RyanC883

comparing a guy that has 7 starts to one that has 85 and saying that thats irrelevant tells me all I need to know to not listen to anything you have to say.

What was the #1 problem with this offense last year: lack of a QB with experience. You want experience in a backup situation. I'm not saying get rid of Thad. But let Thad and Campbell go after the backup spot in training camp/preseason. Tuel is not the answer. What is the downside here? EJ's need situation is troublesome, and if he gets hurt, I want a decent backup.

if EJ or Thad slip on the proverbial mat at somepoint this offseason, itd be nice to have another vet until final cuts. thats what baffled me about cutting jackson so early.

The backup situation is irrelevant. There's nothing to compete for. Campbell doesn't know the offense, where Lewis and Tuel does. That's already pretty clear. He's never been a decent quarterback and neither has Lewis. That is pretty clear as well. Our starting QB has 11 games experience and will have 16 more this season barring injury. That's all that really matters to me. Who's holding the clipboard for EJ or who's holding the clipboard for his backup who's holding another clipboard is irrelevant.

:thumbsup:

Seriously, if you don't want to head into the season with Lewis and Tuel as your backups, who are better options than Campbell? Michael Vick? Matt Schaub? There isn't a lot out there. If you look at more than just career stats, and go inside the numbers, you will see that Campbell had very good years from 2008-2011. Started 54 games in those 4 years, posting QB ratings of 84.3, 86.4, 84.5, 84.2...a 52/33 td/int rate...then he lost his job to injury in Oakland, a move most any Raiders fan will tell you was nuts... if the Bills were to sign him, he would be far and away, their most accomplished QB.

comparing a guy that has 7 starts to one that has 85 and saying that thats irrelevant tells me all I need to know to not listen to anything you have to say.

Yeah, it is pretty silly...

Vince Young: headcase

Kolb: injured, never played.

TJaxon: never given a chance.

Listing those players is a false equivalency.

Here's a true equivalency:

Vince Young: washed up (if he ever was any good)

Kevin Kolb: washed up (if he ever was any good)

TJax: washed up (if he ever was any good)

Jason Campbell: washed up (if he ever was any good)

Yes Tuel is PS eligible. My hunch is he sucks in OTA's and we have a veteran like Campbell or someone else and another rookie backing up EJ next year. Tuel and Lewis are not worthy of being on NFL rosters.

We have Dennis Dixon also, I think. He was killer at Oregon a few years back.