The Bills are doing an excellent job in Free Agency

1B4IDie

Overall I'd give the Bills a B so far. The spikes signing put me over the top, from disappointment to being pretty happy with what we've accomplished. Without Spikes I would've said C-. The Williams deal really bothers me though with what we paid him.

Well I've finally heard a football guy say nice things about Chris Williams ( a Chicago Scout on John Murphy) so that's something - before that it it seemed universally the word disappointing was used- I'll admit I've never focused on Chris Williams performance so my opinion was formed solely on things I've read.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall I'd give the Bills a B so far. The spikes signing put me over the top, from disappointment to being pretty happy with what we've accomplished. Without Spikes I would've said C-. The Williams deal really bothers me though with what we paid him.

2014 - Chris Williams - 1.435 not Guaranteed

2015 - Chris Williams - 1.875 not Guaranteed

2016 - Chris Williams - 2.45 not Guaranteed

2017 - Chris Williams - 2.5 not Guaranteed

3.5M Signing Bonus - Guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/b...lliams-contract

This is not a significant financial commitment.

If he is cut after the 2014 season he would cost less than 3M in Dead Money.

If he is cut after the 2015 season he would cost less than 2M in Dead Money.

I don't understand how this contract gets people's panties in a bunch.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I give them a solid B, maybe B+. Spikes helps; Graham, Rivers and Dixon will play significant roles. There seems to be some dispute about C.Williams. I think the team deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, until otherwise proven wrong. If he is solid, it becomes a B+. Resigning Chandler and Carpenter are no-brainers at the right price. Especially Chandler, you need 2 TEs in this offense. I wouldn't rule out drafting another one.

I give them a solid B, maybe B+. Spikes helps; Graham, Rivers and Dixon will play significant roles. There seems to be some dispute about C.Williams. I think the team deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, until otherwise proven wrong. If he is solid, it becomes a B+. Resigning Chandler and Carpenter are no-brainers at the right price. Especially Chandler, you need 2 TEs in this offense. I wouldn't rule out drafting another one.

The only proven impact starter that we've signed is Spikes. That's it.

Well, I suppose it depends on how you define "impact starter" because those two words can be separately evaluated...for example, was Jerry Hughes an "impact" player?? Not many would think he wasn't, in that he performed and had an impact as requested...but he wasn't a "starter" per se...look at Branch, he wasn't a "starter" either, but he played himself right into a new contract and rightfully so....Lawson was a starter and also played well, but was he an "impact starter", I suppose that's a subjective opinion...personally, I really, really like what the BILLS have done...one could also argue, the most "impact starter" the BILLS have gotten back into the fold, was Carpenter - given his success and how many games for the BILLS were decided by just a few points....to that end, I think people get too hung up on PFF stats when evaluating a player...should they be taken into consideration? In my mind, yes - but NOT to the point that it overrides your own personal insight and evaluation...and if Williams was one of the first guys on the plane to Buffalo in a blizzard, I'd say the BILLS got exactly who they wanted and given their recent success in finding and mining good talent to play a role on this team, I'll sit back and trust Whaley on this one....

Edited by BigBuff423

Well I've finally heard a football guy say nice things about Chris Williams ( a Chicago Scout on John Murphy) so that's something - before that it it seemed universally the word disappointing was used- I'll admit I've never focused on Chris Williams performance so my opinion was formed solely on things I've read.

Bill Polian gave him a good grade, and I trust him over many others.

2014 - Chris Williams - 1.435 not Guaranteed

2015 - Chris Williams - 1.875 not Guaranteed

2016 - Chris Williams - 2.45 not Guaranteed

2017 - Chris Williams - 2.5 not Guaranteed

3.5M Signing Bonus - Guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/b...lliams-contract

This is not a significant financial commitment.

If he is cut after the 2014 season he would cost less than 3M in Dead Money.

If he is cut after the 2015 season he would cost less than 2M in Dead Money.

I don't understand how this contract gets people's panties in a bunch.

I agree. It's not like he got Walker / Dockery money. From a lot of the posts here you'd think the Chris Williams signing put us in serious cap trouble.

I do have one serious question....is he an upgrade over last year at guard?

I agree. It's not like he got Walker / Dockery money. From a lot of the posts here you'd think the Chris Williams signing put us in serious cap trouble.

I do have one serious question....is he an upgrade over last year at guard?

Chris Williams was released by Chicago and was the worst OL on the Rams' line. You think our LG position was bad last year? Legursky/Brown had the following combined stats:

3 sacks

11 QB hits

31 QB hurries

Last year Williams had:

5 sacks

8 QB hits

28 QB hurries

Now, if we all agree that LG was an abomination last year, how in the world can we say Williams is an upgrade when his numbers last season were just as bad? I would rather keep the crap we have at LG and draft a Guard in the first 3 rounds and save the 5.5 million.

Edited by bobobonators

Chris Williams was released by Chicago and was the worst OL on the Rams' line. You think our LG position was bad last year? Legursky/Brown had the following combined stats:

3 sacks

11 QB hits

31 QB hurries

Last year Williams had:

5 sacks

8 QB hits

28 QB hurries

Now, if we all agree that LG was an abomination last year, how in the world can we say Williams is an upgrade when his numbers last season were just as bad? I would rather keep the crap we have at LG and draft a Guard in the first 3 rounds and save the 5.5 million.

I get that. But what about the system he played in? I admit I don't know enough about him but, like I said, I'd rather see how this all plays out before I pass judgement.

3 sacks

11 QB hits

31 QB hurries

Last year Williams had:

5 sacks

8 QB hits

28 QB hurries

Let me guess, numbers pulled out of Sam Monson's ass over at PFF?

He wouldn't know context if it bit him in the ass.

GO BILLS!!!

I get that. But what about the system he played in? I admit I don't know enough about him but, like I said, I'd rather see how this all plays out before I pass judgement.

He was drafted in 2008 and has played with two HC's and 4 offensive coordinators - it's not about being in a specific system at this point, it's about not being good.

3 sacks

11 QB hits

31 QB hurries

Last year Williams had:

5 sacks

8 QB hits

28 QB hurries

I had a hunch.

GO BILLS!!!

For those interested, I started a thread (shameless plug I suppose) to open the floor to clarity regarding the team's OL...please pay a visit if you so choose and provide commentary as you desire.

3 sacks

11 QB hits

31 QB hurries

Last year Williams had:

5 sacks

8 QB hits

28 QB hurries

I suppose because he can reportedly run block. Pass stats are similar, but our C and LT are better than the Rams and will help him a lot.

Start signing our young guys with one year left to long term deals.

Yes......we dont do that at all......(where is the palmface emoticon)

Perhaps they felt they have a lot of talent on the team already (which they do) and were trying to fill veteran depth? It was sorely needed on this team.

People seem to forget.....biulding through free agency simply does not work...for a team to be successful they need to biuld through the draft and supplement through free agency.

Edited by John from Hemet