Pics of the Falls frozen over

Steve O

When I was a kid, my father worked at the Bethlehem Steel plant, and they could only work when the Great Lakes, especially Lake Erie, and seaway were not frozen. Frozen years like this hit many families like a drought hit farmers whose crops died. That seems like a strange parallel, but accurate.

They tried "ice dams" in the spring for a while so the eastern end of Erie by Buffalo did not get so badly 'clogged' as it emptied into the Niagara River, but that was shortening the growing season all the way back to Dunkirk, hurting the orchards and vineyards there. The air coming off the lake was crossing corralled icebergs instead of water, and delaying Spring.

Compared to weather, we are very small. :cry:

It sure is pretty though!

When I was a kid, my father worked at the Bethlehem Steel plant, and they could only work when the Great Lakes, especially Lake Erie, and seaway were not frozen. Frozen years like this hit many families like a drought hit farmers whose crops died. That seems like a strange parallel, but accurate.

They tried "ice dams" in the spring for a while so the eastern end of Erie by Buffalo did not get so badly 'clogged' as it emptied into the Niagara River, but that was shortening the growing season all the way back to Dunkirk, hurting the orchards and vineyards there. The air coming off the lake was crossing corralled icebergs instead of water, and delaying Spring.

Compared to weather, we are very small. :cry:

It sure is pretty though!

Interesting Rock! In 1964, they started putting in the ice boom across the mouth of Lake Erie. This practice ended the ice bridges. Yet, people always said that holding back the ice til a certain percentage is melted naturally caused it to be colder in BFLO during the spring. Supposedly they did studies that denies the ice boom causes this. Yet, by holding back the ice, it does delay the boating season.

This season is going to be brutal... There is fast ice all the way from Buffalo to almost Erie, PA!

Google: The day the Niagara Falls stopped. You should get stories about the time in the 1850's, March and a ice bridge/dam across the mouth of the lake stopped the water from flowing over The Falls. Farmers/people of the area claimed to hear the roar of The Falls go silent... People walked on the dry riverbed! I guess that is one good reason to have an ice boom!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Went to letchworth State Park yesterday and the falls were not frozen, but there was like an ICE dome at the bottom, was pretty cool site, plus all the icesicles hanging of the gorge.

That is because it is the polluted Genesee river! That's where they grab the water for Genny from!

LoL... Just kidding! Sounds cool... I always love going there. My father used to work on the railroad and he would dead head out to the Southern Tier (like Hornell, etc..). They would go over the train trestle @ Letchworth... He said it was the scariest thing in the world going over that!

Did you get to the Mount Morris dam? I suppose this spring the water levels will be pretty high?

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2010/03/0330niagara-falls-stops/

Ooops, I was close... It wasn't the 1850's, but March 30th, 1848. That is when ice blocked the river up @ Buffalo and stopped the flow over The Falls.

"The bed of the river was exposed. Fish died."

Again... This is the reasoning behind installing the villified Niagara Ice Boom.

Speaking of ice... I had a slab of ice slide in front of my open lock gates! I couldn't get them closed... I Had to bypass the other end of the lock and cause a full breach to get the water moving... As the water was moving, and then closing the free set of gates up... I chewed into the slab with the sector gates as the water was sloshing back and forth.

Also... One time, I had a bassboat go out and when he wanted to return hours later after fishing. The ice slab blocked his entry... Thankfully, a tug was going in the opposite direction and acted like an ice cutter/breaker...

Very cool. And for those of you that live there never take that spectacle (winter, spring, summer or fall) for granted. I grew up in Genesee county and didn't make it much to the Falls. I think maybe once (we didn't get out much). Went and visited with my wife a few years ago and I was in awe. All I could think was the first settlers that saw it for the first time. Or better heard it off in the distance and wondered.......what the hell.

Very cool. And for those of you that live there never take that spectacle (winter, spring, summer or fall) for granted. I grew up in Genesee county and didn't make it much to the Falls. I think maybe once (we didn't get out much). Went and visited with my wife a few years ago and I was in awe. All I could think was the first settlers that saw it for the first time. Or better heard it off in the distance and wondered.......what the hell.

So true!

But the first settlers were probably tipped off by the friendly Natives or the first explorers... But then again, were the NA's in Western New York all that friendly? The Senecas were pretty nasty! They'd probably want to throw the settlers over The Falls... ;-)

Just joking... You are right, it had to awe inspiring to first see them. Being there hundreds of times in my life, and done basically everything there, I probably take them for granted. Probably one of the reasons I became a dam operator. Brick over the precipice, why waste all that water! Divert it all underground. LoL... Again, just joking...

Also... They do divert substantially more water during the winter for power. I am not sure what the numbers are, but the drawn down @ the dam structure (ie: power intakes on both the US and Canadian side) is much more than during the winter than @ the height of the tourist season. Off the top of my head I want to say maybe from over 100,000 cubic feet per second to under 50,000 CFS?? Even @ night, during the tourist season, they draw down the water that goes over The Falls. They make water go over for better viewing and aesthetics during the height of the tourist season. So... With substantially less water going over the spillway (Falls) in the winter... I suppose it freezes faster than if they weren't diverting and letting nature take it balls to the wall over the edge. I am not sure, but they can probably stabilize the flow coming off the ice on Lake Erie @ Buffalo... ???

The two recent articles from this source show the lack of research in all modern journalism, be it sciene or politics. The articles made it seem that the falls froze solid and that is a rare occurrence. Just google some stuff or send some emails to Niagara Falls institutions.

The two recent articles from this source show the lack of research in all modern journalism, be it sciene or politics. The articles made it seem that the falls froze solid and that is a rare occurrence. Just google some stuff or send some emails to Niagara Falls institutions.

Exactly! It is a Brit article. Of course water is still flowing... But did you see that ice build up under The Falls... Incredible!

Now:

http://www.niagarafa...agara_falls.htm

"The tremendous volume of water never stops flowing, However, the falling water and mist create ice formations along the banks of the falls and river. This can result in mounds of ice as thick as fifty feet. If the winter is cold for long enough, the ice will completely stretch across the river and form what is known as the "ice bridge". This ice bridge can extend for several miles down river until it reaches the area known as the lower rapids. Until 1912,visitors were allowed to actually walk out on the ice bridge and view the Falls from below. February 24th of 1888 the local newspaper reported that at least 20,000 people watched or tobogganed on the ice. Shanties selling liquor, photographs and curiosities abounded. On February 4th 1912 the ice bridge broke up and three tourists lives were lost. There can also be a great deal of "mini-icebergs" which flow down the Niagara River from frozen Lake Erie. The flow of ice has been reduced considerably by the yearly installation of the "ice-boom" on Lake Erie. The ice-boom is a long floating chain (2miles- 3.2 KM) of steel floats strung across the Niagara River from Buffalo New York to Fort Erie Ontario. It is set in place during the month of December and removed during the month of March or April. It is maintained by the New York State Power Authority. The ice boom helps prevent the ice from clogging the river and most importantly the hydroelectric companies water intakes.

HOWEVER.... The flow of water was stopped completely over both falls on March 29th 1848 due to an ice jam in the upper river for several hours. This is the only known time to have occurred. The Falls did not actually freeze over, but the flow was stopped to the point where people actually walked out and recovered artifacts from the riverbed!"

Before the boom in 1964 they used to get ice bridges. The link above explains the 1848 event where the Falls shut off to a trickle! Had to be even more amazing because there was so much more water... All the water was going over The Falls and nothing was being diverted around on the American/Canadian side. I think what you actually see now is only 20-50% of the water...

http://www.niagarafr.../icebridge.html

http://www.niagarafr...er.com/faq.html

"During the tourist season (April 1st to Oct 31st) by agreement of the Canadian/American Governments, the water flowing over the Falls is maintained at 100,000 cubic feet per second. This level of water flow is what 12 million visitors come to see each year. In order to provide this level of water flow over the Falls, Ontario Hydro and the New York Power Authority can only draw a reduced amount of water so as not to interfere with the amount of water going over the Falls.

After dusk each night during the tourist season, the water flow rate going over the Falls is reduced to only 50,000 cubic feet per second. This allows the Hydro Authorities to draw more water for hydro generation.

During the night time, both Ontario Hydro and the New York State Power Authorities pump massive amounts of water into their gigantic water reservoirs in order to top them up. Ontario Hydro's reservoir is 212 acres and is smaller than the American Robert Moses Hydro reservoir. During the daytime when the water flow is increased over the Falls for the tourists, the hydro companies draw the water from their reservoirs for hydro generation to make up for any water deficit.

This is a cycle which occurs every day.

The only difference occurs between November 1st and April 1st of each year (non tourist season). During this period, the water rate of flow is reduced to 50,000 cubic feet per second on a 24 hour basis. Hydro draws the rest of the water for hydro generation. The reduced water flow and the lowering of the water level is the reason the Maid of the Mist boat has to be out of the water by October 31st each year.

The hydro control dam is jointly owned by Canada/USA. It is operated by Ontario Hydro by agreement. The reason its on Canadian side is that the water flows towards the Canadian side (the river bed slants). The water being drawn for hydro is strictly regulated. Ontario Hydro and New York State Power Authority have scheduled water drawing times. When the Americans are drawing water, the gates on the dam are closed. This causes the water to be forced to flow towards the water intakes on the American side. At times when Ontario Hydro is diverting water, the dam assists in directing water to their intakes as well.

The normal long term average rate of water flow in the Niagara River is 212,000 cubic feet per second so even on a summer day, approximately 100,000 cubic feet of water per second are being drawn for hydro generation."

Interesting Rock! In 1964, they started putting in the ice boom across the mouth of Lake Erie. This practice ended the ice bridges. Yet, people always said that holding back the ice til a certain percentage is melted naturally caused it to be colder in BFLO during the spring. Supposedly they did studies that denies the ice boom causes this. Yet, by holding back the ice, it does delay the boating season.

This season is going to be brutal... There is fast ice all the way from Buffalo to almost Erie, PA!

Google: The day the Niagara Falls stopped. You should get stories about the time in the 1850's, March and a ice bridge/dam across the mouth of the lake stopped the water from flowing over The Falls. Farmers/people of the area claimed to hear the roar of The Falls go silent... People walked on the dry riverbed! I guess that is one good reason to have an ice boom!

They may deny the effect on Spring, but this is what a farmer there told me. He said it delayed his orchard and his grapes.

They may deny the effect on Spring, but this is what a farmer there told me. He said it delayed his orchard and his grapes.

I agree! That slab of ice sitting in the eastern basin of Lake Erie until only 250 square miles is left is like sitting in front of an open freezer! Of course the natural course would be to go boomless and let the ice flow whenever it wanted to... Which would wreck havoc on the power intakes and property damage along the upper Niagara river @ places like Grand Island and both US/Canadian shores... Along with causing masssive ice bridges @ The Falls. Just imagine what this winter would cause if the boom was NOT there and all of a sudden the temps soared to 70-80... It would be a messed up situation! The slow release of ice is a blessing and a curse. I just wish they would admit what the curse was and be done with it... But, then they would have to pay the grape farmers and vinters all along the southern shore of Lake Erie for damages!

I think the studies down play the effect on the late kickoff to the growing season. Then there is tourism and pleasure boating... It sucks that in some hard years one can't use that portion of the Lake until almost the 1st of May.

Let's just hope they were on land and not 'upstream' when they heard it.

Actually, paddling near shore... They too would probably be tipped off... Kinda hard to go over The Falls unless you are smack dab paddling down the middle. Just from tubing down the river from say Isle View Park... It is pretty easy to end up where you want. The funny thing that always freaked me out is the elephant in the room a few miles downstream! Hey, something is causing this river to move very swift!

;-) LoL

"Frozen over" doesn't mean "frozen solid." What are these people idiots? It is exactly what it is: Frozen over. For the most part. From the some of the pics looks to be 9/10 with a layer.

freeze over

verb

Full Definition of FREEZE OVER

intransitive verb

: to become covered with a layer of ice <the pond froze over as early as October>

transitive verb

: to cause to become covered with a layer of ice <a single night's cold was enough to freeze over the pond>

Now... Check out these pictures!

http://www.looneypal...-falls-stopped/

Wow! Check out the last one from 1911! This is what it would look like this year if the ice boom wasn't there! Think they would let you toboggan like they did 113 years ago? I think it read in 1912 that two people died when the ice bridge gave way! Way to spoiled it for all! LoL... (not laughing @ the dead, just the stupidity of the 1912 era)

EDIT: That link was from 2012. Anybody catch this nugget of pure gold:

"Situated on the America/Canada border, the Niagara Falls often get snow, but it’s extremely rare for it to be cold enough for the falls to freeze. Sadly the phenomenon is never likely to happen again, partly because of global warming and partly due to man-made dam to control the flow..."

:doh:

That is because it is the polluted Genesee river! That's where they grab the water for Genny from!

LoL... Just kidding! Sounds cool... I always love going there. My father used to work on the railroad and he would dead head out to the Southern Tier (like Hornell, etc..). They would go over the train trestle @ Letchworth... He said it was the scariest thing in the world going over that!

Did you get to the Mount Morris dam? I suppose this spring the water levels will be pretty high?

In winter only the Castile and Mt Morris ends are open for a ways so we didn't go the full length. I have been inside the Mt Morris dam as a kid, my grandfather arranged a tour. I live only 12 miles from the park so it is common to go all the time!

I skipped school one day with a girl and we walked out on the trestle half way when a train came aorund the corner. It was like the scene from Stand By Me...i rememebr running and leaving her in the dust..the conductor went by an djust laughed because he was probably only going 10 MPH! We could have stayed on it and would have been fine. They are going to tear it down and rebuild it in the very near future too. That should be a site!