The classy people of Philly

The Poojer

Heroin is spreading like a wildflower through Vermont, which is about 40 minutes away from me. My hometown is a throughway to Vermont. This area has, until recently, kept the heroin problem at bay. It is becoming far more prevalent in recent months.

Meth is on the move, as well.

Lots of thefts in the paper, pretty much daily.

I hope the decision makers someday realize that throwing these people in jail or prison without cleaning them up isn't helping anybody.

No. I may sound like I am on Heroin @ times, but no. I figure, they use opiate ingrediants some how... But how the get that stuff past you and make it up?

Crooked COs, I'd assume.

No knock on you, or the other good guys, Mrags. There are bad guys in every profession.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obtunded...haha. May I use that one? I'm gonna totally get obtunded tonight.

Perhaps a bit verbose. But, yes you have license to use it. B-)

I just meant that she clearly wasn't 'dozing off' like we all have done....your head snapping forward; followed by a period of alertness etc. She's like a zombie in slow motion. Obtunded indeed.

that is actually something people are asking around here, but truth be told and it's a horrible excuse/reason..people are gun shy about saying or reporting anything. within the past couple years ago, someone spoke up on a bus about a mother yelling at or hitting a child, a couple stops later a car pulls up along side the bus and the person who spoke up got shot. the women in question called her brothers or someone else to say someone had 'dissed' her.

I know callling 911 is completely different than standing up to someone directly but it's different when you are in the situation....i know this is no where close to the same situation, but i was on a SEPTA bus and a girl(who of course i had a crush on) had asked a guy in the seat in front of us to either turn down his music or put his headphones in...he flat out ignored her. Being prince charming I went up to him and said, perhaps you didn't hear her ask but could you please turn down you music or put the headphones you have on your head on? He said 'NO'. I went right up to the driver and 'tattled'. I basically got chastised by the driver for doing what i did and got called names by the guy in question...he asked if i wanted to step outside....i looked at him and asked if he was 11(trying to impress a woman makes you do stupid things)

we get to my stop I get off and all of a sudden there he is along side me glaring at me and trying to intimidate me, i peeled off and went to my connection and he went off to his connection, i told him to have a great day...

but i lucked out...i could have and would have gotten my ass kicked but you just cannot do the right thing anymore, you put yourself in danger and it sucks ass...i'm not wired to allow things like this to go on, but sometimes you need to 'be smart'

again, calling 911 avoids this kind of interaction but in the heat of the moment, you really want to do the right thing, but sometimes what we think is the right thing isn't what should be done had we had the time to step back and evaluate the situation...

we can only hope that people are brought to justice at the time or, sadly, eventually

Why didn't the guy cut this cell phone video short and use his cell phone for its intended purpose? Dialing 911 in an emergency

No. I may sound like I am on Heroin @ times, but no. I figure, they use opiate ingrediants some how... But how the get that stuff past you and make it up?

theu don't make it in the prison. It's brought in. Some ways it's brought in are more disgusting than others but at the end of the day, they all go through an inmates @$$ sooner or later.

Crooked COs, I'd assume.

No knock on you, or the other good guys, Mrags. There are bad guys in every profession.

not in Attica brother. Maybe Wende, Sing Sing or Rikers but not Attica. Not in a million years.

I know it happens everywhere, but Attica COs wouldn't do that ever. They are probably the tightest group in the state.

Wow, I am amazed that DHS took this woman's child away. As an educator and mandated reporter, I have needed to make several reports to the Department of Social Services about child abuse/neglect. I have witnessed and learned some things that have kept me up at night...brought me to tears. That said, I have never seen an agency such as DHS remove the child (children) from the parent's custody. Most of the time, in fact, they say that there is not enough evidence to investigate the case. Really, you can't even knock on the door and ask some questions...perhaps inspect the electrical cord welts up and down the kid's back?!?! Shameful.

I guess the public scrutiny really lit a fire under their a$$es.

update to the story...the woman sounds like a real peach of a person

http://www.philly.co...iral_video.html

"Promoter of prostitution" while incarcerated? She's like the Don King of female prison relations.

theu don't make it in the prison. It's brought in. Some ways it's brought in are more disgusting than others but at the end of the day, they all go through an inmates @$$ sooner or later.

not in Attica brother. Maybe Wende, Sing Sing or Rikers but not Attica. Not in a million years.

I know it happens everywhere, but Attica COs wouldn't do that ever. They are probably the tightest group in the state.

Are you being serious or sarcastic regarding Attica?

Wow, I am amazed that DHS took this woman's child away. As an educator and mandated reporter, I have needed to make several reports to the Department of Social Services about child abuse/neglect. I have witnessed and learned some things that have kept me up at night...brought me to tears. That said, I have never seen an agency such as DHS remove the child (children) from the parent's custody. Most of the time, in fact, they say that there is not enough evidence to investigate the case. Really, you can't even knock on the door and ask some questions...perhaps inspect the electrical cord welts up and down the kid's back?!?! Shameful.

I guess the public scrutiny really lit a fire under their a$$es.

I'm surprised too. Even though it is pretty obvious what is wrong with her, they'll have a tough time proving it. I wonder if they may have witnesses saying where she was in the hours leading up to that bus ride.

Then again, I don't know what the legal standard is for removing a child from a home.

Then again, I don't know what the legal standard is for removing a child from a home.

Supposedly, a child can be removed from the parent's care due to "extreme abuse and/or neglect." The only times I have seen children removed, however, is when the parent is incarcerated and there are no suitable relatives to take custody (or none that wish to). I think the goal is (and many times to the detriment of the children) to keep the kids with their biological parents and provide support (i.e., parenting classes, therapy, rehabilitation, etc...). Very rarely do you see the follow through with the support services though.

I know many that worked there pre riots. I have friends who lost family there. You didn't !@#$ with those guys.

Why do you say that about them now? Not as many from the area as used to be.

tjings have changed from those days but not that much. Were still a brotherhood. At the end of the day, we all wear blue and we see to it that everybody walks out that gate every day.

Wende is different, Sing Sing and a few others. Attica is still the tightest and toughest run prison in the state. No question about it.

Edited by mrags

...spreading like a wildflower through Vermont,

I just caught this! Had to do a double take and look it up. First: "whilst" and now this! Gug... You are cutting edge! :D

http://thekingdomtree.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/spread-like-wildflowers/

Damn you! You are always ahead of the curve! :P

"When the kingdom of God takes root in people’s hearts, gripping their imagination and fueling their action, it begins to spread . . . like wildflowers.

wildflowers.jpg?w=300&h=225

The kingdom of God spreading like wildflowers

One of my staff colleagues said it, in one of those classic slips of the tongue that betray us beautifully. I’m sure he meant to say “spread like wildfire,” the common expression we often use. Instead, he said “wildflowers” and that is exactly right.

The image of fire is used in Scripture to reference purging or purification–it really is a destructive image. But wildflowers, spreading through the wind and bees and water, spreading organically and mysteriously, popping up in new places, unexpected places, places where formerly there had been nothing . . . now that is the kingdom we see in the parables of Jesus. This kingdom of God is a kingdom that spreads as the Spirit takes his people and plants them everywhere he can, whenever he can, bringing new life out of the cracks in the sidewalks of people’s lives, bringing joy in the sorrowful lands of barrenness. Though the kingdom of God, like a fire, sweeps away injustice and sin, the kingdom of God, like wildflowers, also brings new life and beauty out of the ashes."