Let's Pretend...

Let's pretend that the Bills trade up in the draft. You're the GM, and it's up to you to pick the player that most helps the franchise.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating that the BIlls trade up, but I'm curious to see who we think are the most "can't miss" picks in this draft, and also who we think would help the team the most if we had our pick of the litter.

Scenario 1: The Bills trade this year's first round pick, next year's first round pick, and this year's second round pick for the #1 overall pick.

Who do you take with the #1 overall pick?

Scenario 2: The Bills trade this year's first round pick and next year's first round pick to move up to #2 overall.

Who do you take with the #2 overall pick? Assuming, of course, that your first choice is taken #1 overall.

Bonus follow-up question: As long as we're pretending, would your answers change if the Bills had the #1 or #2 overall pick in the draft without trading up? That is, do you pick a different player knowing that you don't have a first rounder next year than you would have selected if you didn't have to give anything up?

Before I post my answers, I'm curious to see what other people think.

Johnny Football

Sammy Watkins

Just my 2 cents, but Johnny Football is a massive gamble at 1 or 2 and I don't think his game translates to the NFL well. Hey, he could end up being special, but right now I see him as a boom or bust guy, and if I am giving up assets like multiple firsts there is no way I take him.

First, let me be clear that I wouldn't trade up, I would stay at 9 with this draft. But in your hypothetical scenario, I take Clowney #1 and OT Robinson #2. Watkins would be tempting, but WR is so deep this year. I would also give SERIOUS consideration for Mack.

And if we had #1 overall or #2 overall without trading up I would go Robinson #1 and Mack #2. I feel like Clowney has potential to be so special that you have to grab a guy like that if you're giving up assets to move up. But if we are not, I think it's best to go with safest pick in Robinson and another special player at a bigger need in Mack.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Clowney

Mack

If we were drafting 1st overall because we had the worst record in 2013 then I think we probably would have seen much more bad than good from EJ and I'd take a Quarterback. Blake Bortles would be my choice of the 3.... and I'm not totally convinced by him either.

The only reason a team makes a move like either of those would be for a QB or possibly what they consider the final piece of their puzzle. Since neither is the case with the Bills being much more than one piece away and committed to EJ it wouldn't make sense. Hypothetically I'd say Bridgewater is the best prospect of the lot of flawed quarterbacks and Clowney is easily the best non-quarterback prospect so they'd be my choices.

Clowney would be the only one to trade up for. The problem with any other pick is that they're either 1 - pointless (QB) or 2 - the player could fall to you anyway at #9 (i.e. Mack). None of Bortles, Bridgewater or Manziel are a lock to be anything special and I'm not convinced that any team should ever trade up for an offensive lineman. Just a wasted trade.

Edited by Luxy312

Players the Bills might want, but should be gone. OT Greg Robinson- OT Jake Matthews- LBer Khalil Mack-WR Sammy Watkins- DE Jadeveon Clowney. If one of these players falls to the Bills there is almost no question they draft them.

There are two ways the Bills trade up in the draft, no way and no how. JMO.

If the Bills stay at #9 there are three players who are almost a certainty to be there that have been greatly speculated upon to be desired by Buffalo. OT Taylor Lewan- WR Mike Evans-TE Eric Ebron The bills could want to trade back to pick up an extra round two pick like they did last season while still getting Ebron or an OT Zack Martin

We fans simply don't know who the Bills FO covets or who is actually worthwhile to draft from their standpoint. We will find out in two months tho :D

I've wavered since I made the OP.

I was initially thinking that if you're trading up, you gotta get a QB. Especially when you're losing out on the subsequent picks. And my gut says take Manziel. His size and character concerns me, but there's just something about Texas QBs and an aura about him in particular.

Bridgewater seems the safest- high floor and seemingly high ceiling with a ton of natural skill. But again my gut just tells me he projects to be an average to above average starter. A guy that won't lose you games, but maybe not win a lot of games for you in the clutch.

Bortles just seems to keep getting better and proving doubters wrong every chance he gets. He may wind up being the best of the three. But I'm not going to trade up for him when he doesn't seem to have as high of a ceiling as Manziel. When you're going for broke, you might as well swing for the fences.

Carr is another interesting prospect, but cant't imagine selling the farm for a guy who more than likely would be there at 9 - or even in a trade down scenario.

So back to my gut. Manziel definitely a boom or bust type of guy, but he seems to have a intangible "badass" quotient (I mean that in a good way), and I do think he will be driven by his haters/doubters. So if I had to choose a QB, I think I'm going with Manziel.

If Manziel is gone and I've got the #2 pick, I think I'm bypassing the other QBs (as tough as it would be) and taking Mack. Mack might not be as good of a pass rusher as Clowney, but he can do so much so well that he might be the perfect pick for ANY team. Having a guy on your defense that basically has no weakness and can line up basically anywhere is the key to a modern defense. Especially a defense like the Bills with studs at all three levels. They say modern offenses are predicated on creating mismatches, but when a defense can truly dictate, that's when they become elite.

Trading up to me means I've got be looking long and hard at QBs, considering you've dug yourself a hole if it doesn't pan out. However I've come to agree with Mayock in thinking Mack is the best overall prospect in the drat. Honorable mention goes to Sammy Watkins. I like Greg Robinson and the OTs, but with Glenn, I think taking a tackle that high is a waste of a resource. Especially with Hairston reportedly good to go this spring.

Edited by uncle flap

Clowney would be the only one to trade up for. The problem with any other pick is that they're either 1 - pointless (QB) or 2 - the player could fall to you anyway at #9 (i.e. Mack). None of Bortles, Bridgewater or Manziel are a lock to be anything special and I'm not convinced that any team should ever trade up for an offensive lineman. Just a wasted trade.

What player is a lock? Glenn Dorsey, Robert Gallery, and Aaron Curry were considered the best players in their draft class.

Only reason to move up to the top would be a QB. If they moved to 1 I'd take Manziel. If they moved up to 2 I'd take Mike Evans who'll probably be available at 9.

I doubt I would trade up!

Assuming Bridgewater, Bortals, and Manzeil, go in the first six or seven picks many of the people I'd want will still be at #9. Those people would be Mack, Watkins, Evens, if the three QB's go early, almost guaranteed one of them will be there at #9. If between now and April it appears they are all dropping fast, then may consider it more to move. Of the three my choice would be Evens. you can find a free agent LB that are good, Watkins is another Woods, Johnson. Evens is the big WR we don't have.

Unless you want Clowney or the the tackle Long, I really don't see any reason to move up. D-line is the one position the Bill's have top level talent at, so no need for Clowney and we need a RT, not a LT so no need ot take a tackle this early either.