AWWWWWWww

BillsNYC

First, I admire Norwood for not changing his name and going into seclusion. This is someone's headline every year.  :devil:

213886[/snapback]

Agreed. I have the utmost respect for Norwood. He's at peace with it and moved on in his life. The media (and all Giants and anti-Bills fans, for that matter) gives him far too much crap for this for the type of man he is.

Second, the Thurman helmet thing most certainly does not make him one of the top ten goats in playoff history.

213886[/snapback]

The Ronnie Harmon non-catch should be more goat-like. Thurman didn't play well in SB XXVI because of Washington's defense, not his "lost" helmet for the first two plays. These media guys have to pick on the Bills somehow because of the 4 losses.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I have the utmost respect for Norwood. He's at peace with it and moved on in his life.

214110[/snapback]

Ya know what? I don't believe that for one second. He might say that in an interview, he might try to believe it himself. But there is NO WAY he doesn't think about that kick EVERY day... no way. Maybe he doesn't sit there and agonize over it, but every day, it crosses his mind, and bothers him ...

I mean, the biggest stage in the world, the Super Bowl, and he didn't make it. . .

He's gotta think about not only the kick, and how many people's lives were affected by it (I mean, hell, we're sitting here talking about it 14 years later!), but also, how different his life would have been.

That's not being shallow, it's being realistic...

Poor bastard...

Is it just me, or does everyone else, when they see replays of that kick, still lean to the left while watching it in an attemt to will it to curve back.  "Maybe if I just want it a little more, it'll go in this time...even though it's a friggin' replay..."

Someone here with video editing skills needs to take an mpeg of that, and change it so the ball actually DOES go through.  Just so we can see it...just once...

213877[/snapback]

No, please, I don't even want to know what it would have looked like had it gone through. Just thinking about it now - as something that cannot be changed - is hard enough. It'd be like a woman having a miscarriage and 10 years later getting to see a picture of what her son or daughter *would have* looked like. Ugh.

I just remember getting off the couch and getting on my knees to pray to God that Norwood make that kick (I actually used the couch as a makeshift pew to put my elbows on and lace my fingers together). When he missed I burst into tears and my mom sort of walked over, got me on my feet, and walked me to my bedroom (I was 10). She told me something like "Someone had to win and someone had to lose" but I was just misearable.

Ya know what? I don't believe that for one second. He might say that in an interview, he might try to believe it himself. But there is NO WAY he doesn't think about that kick EVERY day... no way. Maybe he doesn't sit there and agonize over it, but every day, it crosses his mind, and bothers him ...

I mean, the biggest stage in the world, the Super Bowl, and he didn't make it. . .

He's gotta think about not only the kick, and how many people's lives were affected by it (I mean, hell, we're sitting here talking about it 14 years later!), but also, how different his life would have been.

That's not being shallow, it's being realistic...

Poor bastard...

214121[/snapback]

I actually believe him when he says he moved on. He didn't have a choice. Either let go of the past or let it ruin the rest of your life. Forgetting about it is a survival mechanism.

Poor Donnie Moore of the 1986 California Angels blew a save in the ALCS and ended up killing himself a couple years later.

It'd be like a woman having a miscarriage and 10 years later getting to see a picture of what her son or daughter *would have* looked like.  Ugh.

214122[/snapback]

oh man, that's a harsh comparison....

and people think norwood is over it... ha!

Thurman's lost helment isnt a choke job one bit.

Now...Thurman fumbling and then sulking and crying like a little girl on the bench after it and mailing in the second half of SB XXVIII......THATS a choke!

Sorry, Thurman...I love ya....but you really sh-- the bed the second half of that game. Inexcusable.

Flame away...........................

Now...Thurman fumbling and then sulking and crying like a little girl on the bench after it and mailing in the second half of SB XXVIII......THATS a choke!

Sorry, Thurman...I love ya....but you really sh-- the bed the second half of that game. Inexcusable.

214168[/snapback]

Damn it, every time I've driven that out of my conscious memory...

If I had any say in the HOF voting, Thurman wouldn't get in on the first ballot for SB XXVIII alone. Fumbling's part of the game, I don't hold that against him. But when he pouted on the bench about it, the team visibily deflated along with him. HOF-calibre players DO NOT SULK when the fumble. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I just stood in front of the TV for a minute or two, and then went into the bedroom by myself and cried.  It still hurts...BAD.

But...I love those guys, each and every one of them.  What a great team that was.

213914[/snapback]

I did the exact same thing for the no goal thing. I was staring at my TV, and I just kept telling my brother that his foot was in the crease. His foot was in the f*ing crease. But no, they keep the celebrations going. No replay, nothing. Eventually someone checks it, and they start questioning it too, but no... They dont do anything...

:devil:

I was only 7 when the Norwood thing happened, so not much I can say there. I did cry the next day at school, but what can you do...

The miss:

I was watching with my old man. A Giants fan. I left the room and watched on another TV. This is after I spent the entire first half taking trash.

The miss... I put my hands to my face and grabbed. Left a nice scratch.

On the bus to school the next morning, I was expecting hell. My friends surprisingly didn't give me grief. Only saying "I'm surprised you didn't play sick to get the day off."

214121[/snapback]

Or on the other hand, maybe what Norwood thinks about every day is the welcome he got when the Bills returned from the game and were greeted by the fans. In Norwood's words, as he stood before thousands of people cheering him on: "I have never felt so much love in my entire life."

Funny thing about people. The more they age, the more they learn to appreciate the little bit of good and let go of the massive amounts of bad. Someday, God willing, you will see that.

Is it just me, or does everyone else, when they see replays of that kick, still lean to the left while watching it in an attemt to will it to curve back.  "Maybe if I just want it a little more, it'll go in this time...even though it's a friggin' replay..."

Someone here with video editing skills needs to take an mpeg of that, and change it so the ball actually DOES go through.  Just so we can see it...just once...

213877[/snapback]

I actually watch the game on nfl channel playbacks and still hold out hope we win.

Leon Seals (love that series of still showing the massive hit he put on Hostetler, particularly the one showing both of them in the air, parallel to the ground, Seals above Hostetler. You just knew that was going to hurt).

I've seen in the past where Hostetler claims that he remembers very little, if any of the game after Seals turfed him.

I've always wondered whether that hit didn't actually hurt the Bills, and if Hostetler hadn't been gooned if maybe he'd have been a little less sharp, a little more tight and maybe turned the ball over a couple times.

Concussions are odd things and I bet that was one of the kind that tends to dial a guy in.

Cya

As sick as some here might think it is, I watched this game the other day with my son! Leon Seals "delivery" sack of Jeff Hostetler was one of the plays of the game for me and Guess what?.... Matt Cavanaugh was "warming up" on the sidelines directly after that hit.....It simply wasn't HARD enough! Can you folks imagine Matt Cavanaugh playing the rest of the game...WHEW!

Funny thing about people. The more they age, the more they learn to appreciate the little bit of good and let go of the massive amounts of bad. Someday, God willing, you will see that.

214234[/snapback]

Oh, I hope one day I'm as wise as you... Sorry, but I know people who are your age and older, and possibly as "mature" that feel the same way...

no way he is over that, even if "LABillzFan" claims he is...

:blink:

Damn it, every time I've driven that out of my conscious memory...

If I had any say in the HOF voting, Thurman wouldn't get in on the first ballot for SB XXVIII alone.  Fumbling's part of the game, I don't hold that against him.  But when he pouted on the bench about it, the team visibily deflated along with him.  HOF-calibre players DO NOT SULK when the fumble.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

214183[/snapback]

The worst part? We were winning at that point...

Oh, I hope one day I'm as wise as you...

214371[/snapback]

I quite honestly wouldn't hold your breath. But since you're absolutely, positively convinced that you know what is happening in Scott Norwood's world regardless of what Scott Norwood tells people, I'll just let it pass by.

I quite honestly wouldn't hold your breath. But since you're absolutely, positively convinced that you know what is happening in Scott Norwood's world regardless of what Scott Norwood tells people, I'll just let it pass by.

214381[/snapback]

Since you're equally sure, I'll do the same.

Now, off to booze...

one.

:blink: