NASCAR 2014 - Ch-ch-changes!

Just Jack

Season starts today - Daytona 500, 12:00pm on Fox...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/02/23/daytona-500-2014-start-time-lineup-grid-tv-radio-schedule-live-streaming/5732487/

And once again, they change some rules because Kenseth almost won the Championship last year instead of Johnson...

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/21/4841025/from-qualifying-to-championship.html

I actually like the elimination format of the Chase, it's something I've said for years they should implement.

Agreed.

I also would like to see more green and less yellow. I have no idea how to do it but they need to eliminate problem drivers that cause yellows. Removing Danica Patrick would be a big start.

Anyway, off to the farm for work. Gonna be blasting this thing on the stereo.

Kasey Kahne is my dude! Met him at an Evernham Motorsports party (my buddy is an engineer there). Really cool guy...talked to me for a bit and even did a shot with me and my friends.

Let's go #5 Chevy!!

It is really cool how so many of these drivers are about town. It is different then with football players because you see them at normal places. I have seen a bunch of the RCR members all over town up here. You see a bunch just around the area, too. I was driving down I85 and was right beside Jack Roush. And yes, he did have the hat on.

It is really cool how so many of these drivers are about town. It is different then with football players because you see them at normal places. I have seen a bunch of the RCR members all over town up here. You see a bunch just around the area, too. I was driving down I85 and was right beside Jack Roush. And yes, he did have the hat on.

We went to the race in Sonoma. While walking the town square we saw Fatback McSwain, Sterling Marlin, Ricky Craven, and Scott Pruitt (day before the race).

Race day I saw Tony Stewart, Kyle Petty, Jeff Gordon up close. Almost tripped over Stewart while I was looking at his "show" car. The accessibility of the drivers to the fans is awesome.

We went to the race in Sonoma. While walking the town square we saw Fatback McSwain, Sterling Marlin, Ricky Craven, and Scott Pruitt (day before the race).

Race day I saw Tony Stewart, Kyle Petty, Jeff Gordon up close. Almost tripped over Stewart while I was looking at his "show" car. The accessibility of the drivers to the fans is awesome.

Go to Randleman, NC and hang around there for a week. You'll see Richard and Kyle, as well as wives and other drivers affiliated with them. Go about 30 minutes West to Welcome, NC and you'll run in to anyone affiliated with RCR. Go North East to Kernersville and hang around a certain BBQ place and you'll see Kevin Harvick, who lives right down the road and married a girl from there. Go to Mooresville, Kannapolis or Concord and you'll see who knows who on a weekly basis.

I know this is a Bills board and people there likely run in to the guys about town on an occasional basis but for the most part NFL players are not as every day as NASCAR drivers. I cannot count on my hands how many times I have seen Chocolate Myers at Lowes, how many times I have seen Richard Childress at his vineyard and little plaza, how many times I have seen a pit crew guy or shop guy just at the gym, store, grocery store or driving.

Go to Randleman, NC and hang around there for a week. You'll see Richard and Kyle, as well as wives and other drivers affiliated with them. Go about 30 minutes West to Welcome, NC and you'll run in to anyone affiliated with RCR. Go North East to Kernersville and hang around a certain BBQ place and you'll see Kevin Harvick, who lives right down the road and married a girl from there. Go to Mooresville, Kannapolis or Concord and you'll see who knows who on a weekly basis.

I know this is a Bills board and people there likely run in to the guys about town on an occasional basis but for the most part NFL players are not as every day as NASCAR drivers. I cannot count on my hands how many times I have seen Chocolate Myers at Lowes, how many times I have seen Richard Childress at his vineyard and little plaza, how many times I have seen a pit crew guy or shop guy just at the gym, store, grocery store or driving.

That's awesome!

it was an excellent race...all the cautions came after the 150 lap point(or there abouts) and in Danica's defense, she got taken out and went into the wall incredibly hard, they had a camera on her face during her crash and it's amazing to see the reactions or lack there of...i'd be screaming and crying

On a track that has taken so much in ways only Dale Jr could fathom,

a heart felt "I'm sorry" was given,

in the only way the Daytona 500 could give....

This was my first thought. The first year with #3 coming back and Dale Jr takes it down? Couldn't be scripted better.

it was an excellent race...all the cautions came after the 150 lap point(or there abouts) and in Danica's defense, she got taken out and went into the wall incredibly hard, they had a camera on her face during her crash and it's amazing to see the reactions or lack there of...i'd be screaming and crying

when you've hit the wall as many times as she has it just come second nature. The first driver to think right hand turns come with a part of NASCAR

• 3 months later...

Something does need to be done about the actual racing, because the 1.5 milers turn into a damn conveyor belt race. Nothings worse that a race like the all-star, where there are 2-3 care better than everyone else and they just get way ahead and there's no passing. That and seeing 13/43 cars on the lead lap is worthless.

I have 2 kind of "radical" changes that might be cool. The first is regarding points. After the top 15 or 20, make tiers where everyone gets the same number. So 35-43 all get X number of points. 30-34 get a few more, etc. This prevents busted ass cars from coming out and simply turning laps. And frankly, 31st sucks as does 41st, so why should 31 get 10 more points? Both had horrible races.

The second is way out of the box, but i think it'd be cool if that NASCAR tried out an elimination system on track during an individual race. Start the race, and at the 1/4 mark, the race is yellow flagged, and only the top 30 cars advance. After another 1/4, only the top 25 advance, and after 3/4, you're down to 15-20 cars left racing for victory. It would add some spice to the middle of the race.

I've got this great idea for NASCAR: Run however many races, assign however many points in descending order for 1st through last place finish of each race, driver/car with the most points at the end of the season is the champion. Easy, huh? Kind of like every other sport.

Also, try really really hard not to change the rules during the season!