Chef Jim Needs Advice - Chromebook vs. Laptop

Gugny

He's wondering if he can download, write or save documents in Microsoft Office format (word, excel, etc.), on a chromebook.

He realizes these things aren't possible on his ipad, but would rather not buy a full-blown laptop.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Gugny

Google Docs are most definitely limited, but limited to the bare essentials.

They work, they work very well, but formatting for word processing and heavy computations for spreadsheets will come up short of the real thing.

Don't need any of that? Don't run industry software? Don't game? Chrome book.

Google Docs are most definitely limited, but limited to the bare essentials.

They work, they work very well, but formatting for word processing and heavy computations for spreadsheets will come up short of the real thing.

Don't need any of that? Don't run industry software? Don't game? Chrome book.

Word Processing formatting has gotten a lot better, it's pretty comparable to Word if you aren't doing stuff like publications.

Word Processing formatting has gotten a lot better, it's pretty comparable to Word if you aren't doing stuff like publications.

You're probably right about that. But if you have a carefully formatted word doc (tables and what not) and try and open/edit it in a google doc, you're going to have a bad time.

If you start from scratch in a google doc, yes. You can pretty much (I'd say within 80-90%) do everything you'd want to do with a word doc.

Good example: small caps. Tried to edit a doc with google, had to do some formatting yoga to get it right.

If you're going to have to make edits to a work document at home using google docs on a word file, it just aint gonna work right.

An iBook is fine. Wont need to be replaced in a few years. Word, etc. works fine on Macs.

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice. Gugny was drunk (again) when we were talking. I said I heard he could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch and his buddy said "word......he can excel at that".

Oh and thanks for the help Gugny but you may have me confused with someone else. I'm not a cheap bastard that would ever consider a piece of crap chromebook.

Me thinks thou dost protesth too much. Realizing that you find it difficult to express yourself publically I'd recommend a nice "Thank You" PM to Gugny.