Marino, Sharpe done at CBS

seriously...who watches any of these shows anyway? i'd be more likely to tune in if they showed gilligan reruns until the coin toss.

Yes. I forsee a time, in the not too distant future, where CBS & Fox trim their shows to one or two hosts, make them shorter, or do away with them altogether.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped watching pre-games after Jimmy the Greek left, and anything I want to know I can get on the Internet. Prefer to listen to Bills pregame on radio.

I worked at the bar/restaurant, Peartrees in NYC and was there the night that Jimmy the Greek punched Brent Musburger.

I agree with the majority here. Pregame shows have become dreadful. They all use the same formula but with limited success. I don't want to be yelled at or be subject to lame attempts at humor. I just want gameday info.

I wish DTV or some outlet would offer a channel with natural sound of the warmups and the crowd filing in from stadium to stadium, with a scroll across the bottom w/ info. That's a pregame I'll watch every week.

I worked at the bar/restaurant, Peartrees in NYC and was there the night that Jimmy the Greek punched Brent Musburger.

Being a big NBA fan, especially back in the 70's and 80's can't tell you how many times I wished I could have punched Brent Musburger...

Edited by Buftex

I agree with the majority here. Pregame shows have become dreadful. They all use the same formula but with limited success. I don't want to be yelled at or be subject to lame attempts at humor. I just want gameday info.

I wish DTV or some outlet would offer a channel with natural sound of the warmups and the crowd filing in from stadium to stadium, with a scroll across the bottom w/ info. That's a pregame I'll watch every week.

I dont know if the shows have changed as much as the consumer has changed. Count me in the crowd who has not watched one of these shows since i first used Netscape. But someone must watch them..i mean crimminy, the NFL Network starts at like 7 am now i think

I dont know if the shows have changed as much as the consumer has changed. Count me in the crowd who has not watched one of these shows since i first used Netscape. But someone must watch them..i mean crimminy, the NFL Network starts at like 7 am now i think

I don't "watch" them, but I have it on the TV, if that makes sense. As soon as my eyes open on Sunday morning, I want as much NFL as I can get. I flip on ESPN and have that on until noon and then flip to the CBS show (AFC slant). It is really just on in the background but I want to catch anything they might show or say about the Bills.

You may be right, and it may just be a case of the Bills being so irrelevant, from a national perspective, that most of us here (it seems) have lost interest. But, I also think it is the format of the shows...and the repetitive nature of the stories. With the 24/7 around the clock coverage today of, well, everything, there is never anything fresh or revealing by Sunday morning. The only reason to tune in, as a Bills fan, as YoloinOhio suggests, is that hey MIGHT mention the Bills...fairly good chance that it will be a negative comment, or something that can be construed as such....and also a good chance that somebody here will have started a thread about it, and how the Bills were disrespected...

I am more likely to watch the highlight shows on Sunday night or Monday. Even those, however, are as repetitive as hell. They show you far fewer highlights (most shows use the same package of clips) from each game, and more time over analyzing the latest Cowboys loss and how it relates to Tony Romos legacy...or how masterful the Patriots were, again...even if they lost...is Payton Maning the greatest regular season QB ever? Yadda, yadda yadda....they spend more time on coverage, but show us far less. I remember in the old days, you could watch NFL Prime Time, with highlights from every game, and feel like you had a decent idea of what happened in every game, the ebbs and flows...they didn't just show you the same one or two plays over and over again.

I have nothing against Marino, but he never said anything remotely interesting, and is way too uptight to ever be funny. I am surprised he lasted as long as he did.

+1

They could have used a cardboard cutout of Marino and had the same show. At least guys like Jimmy Johnson say something, even if the delivery is awful.

You may be right, and it may just be a case of the Bills being so irrelevant, from a national perspective, that most of us here (it seems) have lost interest. But, I also think it is the format of the shows...and the repetitive nature of the stories. With the 24/7 around the clock coverage today of, well, everything, there is never anything fresh or revealing by Sunday morning. The only reason to tune in, as a Bills fan, as YoloinOhio suggests, is that hey MIGHT mention the Bills...fairly good chance that it will be a negative comment, or something that can be construed as such....and also a good chance that somebody here will have started a thread about it, and how the Bills were disrespected...

I am more likely to watch the highlight shows on Sunday night or Monday. Even those, however, are as repetitive as hell. They show you far fewer highlights (most shows use the same package of clips) from each game, and more time over analyzing the latest Cowboys loss and how it relates to Tony Romos legacy...or how masterful the Patriots were, again...even if they lost...is Payton Maning the greatest regular season QB ever? Yadda, yadda yadda....they spend more time on coverage, but show us far less. I remember in the old days, you could watch NFL Prime Time, with highlights from every game, and feel like you had a decent idea of what happened in every game, the ebbs and flows...they didn't just show you the same one or two plays over and over again.

Agree Buf...i really miss Prime Time.

Lordy, i remember in 87 i think when it first came on..making sure to leave the lot at Rich by 6 to be sure you were home to catch the beginning .Was so great not to have to stay up and watch George Michael(RIP) Sports Machine to see highlights of other games ...and more than just 3 minutes on Monday night.

Lordy, how did we bet back then?

Agree Buf...i really miss Prime Time.

Lordy, i remember in 87 i think when it first came on..making sure to leave the lot at Rich by 6 to be sure you were home to catch the beginning .Was so great not to have to stay up and watch George Michael(RIP) Sports Machine to see highlights of other games ...and more than just 3 minutes on Monday night.

Lordy, how did we bet back then?

:lol: Now it is just round the clock 'fantasy football" stats!

I remember my dad getting po'd becasue during the last 30 minutes or so, of the Monday Night Football game, I would be flipping back and forth between the game, and the CNN nightly sports recap (the one with Nick Charles and Fred Hickman) just to see what Bills higlights they showed...if you missed them on Monday night, you wouldn't see them again...unless you tuned in for the Rick Azar Bills show on Saturday afternoon...last chance for highlights! Now I can watch them on my phone, any time I want...more is less sometimes!

I am trying to remember, but Fox really didn't use the robots during the super bowl did they?

I wonder if the NFL told them to class it up?

Unless you're referring to Joe Buck, no they didn't.

Can't Wait!

@awfulannouncing

Bart Scott has been added to CBS’s NFL pregame show The NFL Today http://bit.ly/1fCsw37

#obligatoryhashtag

That's actually a pretty good choice considering the realistic options.