2014 Bills Dead Cap Money

AtlBills

To all resident "cap experts". Can anyone state what the 2014 Bills dead cap $'s will count against this season's cap number? What is the estimated 2014 Salary Cap expected to be? I know the Fitztragic debacle will cost approx. $7mil this year. If we try and restructure any current players under contract, ie Mario Williams, can that give us some cap relief for 2014. Thx

Thanks Q -- very helpful link. There's plenty of money to pay Byrd. Looks like they'll be a few cap casualties. Hughes, Kolb?, Pears?.

Freddie's cap # isn't small either, hopefully the Bills wouldn't be that dumb. But I won't be surprised if they draft a RB in rounds 2-4.

Edited by KD in CT

Thanks Q -- very helpful link. There's plenty of money to pay Byrd. Looks like they'll be a few cap casualties. Hughes, Kolb?, Pears?.

Freddie's cap # isn't small either, hopefully the Bills wouldn't be that dumb. But I won't be surprised if they draft a RB in rounds 2-4.

theres not a single person that should be cut for money. any cuts should be production (ie kolb, maybe pears).

Adding a back would also be wise as Freddy and Spiller could potentially both be gone very soon. fred will be 33 at the close of the year, and by a decent margin the oldest back in the league. the legs have to quit at somepoint.

Hughes a cap casualty? You're joking, right?

Dumb question... what's the difference between "cap number" and "dead money" in the link QC supplied?

Is the dead money number the number the Bills would be on the hook for if they released the player?

Edited by Dorkington

Is the dead money number the number the Bills would be on the hook for if they released the player?

You got it. Dead money is the salary cap space allocated for a player who gets cut. So if we keep Kolb, he hits our cap space for $3.6M. If we cut him, it counts $500K against our cap.

Kolb & Pears are the obvious choices and you could even throw in Legursky. Maybe even Hairston, since his status is uncertain.

Though I'm puzzled as to why you suggested Hughes. Yes we'd save about 4 million in cap space, but after the year Hughes had, the Bills should keep him.

Granted, Hughes is a free agent next year, and he may command big money, but let's deal with that later. Who knows? The Bills may give him a new contract sometime during next season.

Edited by Mark Vader

i dont understand the Hughes cap number and dont think what is listed is correct.

I could be wrong but my understanding is any bonus money already paid to Hughes should be applied to the Colts cap and not the Bills since he was traded after those payments were made.

either way I dont see him as a cap hit as a 4 mil cap hit for a guy that just had 10 sacks isnt that big of a number

Mario needs to restructure obviously

Wow, Bills had 7.5 million added to their cap hit next year due to players hitting accelerators this past season...biggest ones were Hughes with 2.9 million added and Spiller with 1.75 million added...

Edited by matter2003

i dont understand the Hughes cap number and dont think what is listed is correct.

I could be wrong but my understanding is any bonus money already paid to Hughes should be applied to the Colts cap and not the Bills since he was traded after those payments were made.

either way I dont see him as a cap hit as a 4 mil cap hit for a guy that just had 10 sacks isnt that big of a number

Mario needs to restructure obviously

He wont , Bank it .

Keep Hughes with new contract before the season if he is willing and reasonable .

And wow i just realized i dont like accelerators.

Unless its under my foot. But that one costs more money too, if i mash the tin for very long

He wont , Bank it .

Keep Hughes with new contract before the season if he is willing and reasonable .

And wow i just realized i dont like accelerators.

Unless its under my foot. But that one costs more money too, if i mash the tin for very long

Restructuring (ie not a pay cut) is to the players advantage. Mario won't, and because we don't need space now but might later, shouldn't be offered to push his hits back

That says we only have $1.2m in cap space :o

That link is technically next year's cap which doesn't include any rollover, or in other words, is incomplete . They'll have anywhere from about $8 million to around $24 20 million depending on what they ask and are allowed to rollover. It seems it will be more like $24 20 million (likely even higher considering we might see some cuts) when all is said and done, however we won't know for sure until March 11th.

The discrepancy has been hashed out in other threads, just search for salary cap if you're really interested. But like I said, it seems likely it'll be easily over $20 million in space, but we'll have to wait until March 11 when the new league year starts to be 100% certain, barring any sort of official word from the NFL or OBD.

EDIT: Looking at some updated figures, the Over the Cap site seems accurate. That approximately 24 million in space is closer to 20. They have almost 19M in space and I came up with just over 20M. I'm looking over it to see where we differ, but I probably just rounded wrong somewhere.

Edited by uncle flap