FA: OL Jon Asamoah

air2mud82

Thinking about ways to shore up our interior offensive line and just saw that Chiefs #73 Jon Asamoah is a free agent this year. Any thoughts on going after him? I haven't seen him too much, but I do remember him being fairly highly touted coming out of Illinois a few years ago, and he has been blocking for Jamaal Charles so he must be doing something right.

Thoughts?

Edited by air2mud82

I actually just noticed that he would be a FA, and would love him in Buffalo. Very, very underrated player. Sat a year behind Brian Waters. Filled his shoes very nicely. Well rounded guard who is solid in both run and pass blocking. I suspect he will get pretty decent money, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-sign with KC.

He lost his starting job this year. Might not be as costly as we think

I was going to post this last night and forgot. I was pretty sure Asamoah wasn't even starting at the end of the season. wasn't it Geoff Schwartz who took his spot?

Yes I did, and I still don't think Asamoah will get any more than 5.5 mill/year. You're right though...many of these guys get overpaid once they hit the FA market.

He may not get Levitre money but someone will overpay him as guards are one of the positions that seem to get grossly overpaid in free agency

He may not get Levitre money but someone will overpay him as guards are one of the positions that seem to get grossly overpaid in free agency

I think that's fan perception trailing behind the current nfl - it's the lowest paid player on your offense, generally, and it's still getting called out as overpaid. The cap has doubled in the last 5-10 years and interior rush/protections have gotten more prioritized by many teams. You may be overpaying by a small amount but it's not a position getting absurd dollars when compared everyone else.

FWIW, PFF had him at 12 games at RG and the 20th ranked guard, one spot above Craig Urbik with an overall grade of 7.9 (5.4 PB, 1.0 RB with a positive of little penalties). Geoff Schwartz was ranked 8th with a grade of 15.2 (5.3 PB, 7.3 RB with a positive score in screens) and 4 games at LG and 9 at RG.

Schwartz had 498 snaps compared to 673 by Asamoah -looks like all the studs averaged 1100 snaps.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2013&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I think you really do have to ask yourself whether you would want Asamoah over Schwartz.

Schwartz is looking for a multi-year deal after two one year deals.

Either guy would likely give us what we need at LG and I would expect that they are both on Whaley's radar.

I don't know that either will be available though. Fisher improved a lot towards the end of last year and might be ready to take over at LT, meaning the Chiefs will not be willing to go long term with Albert for the big bucks he will surely command.