The inconsistency of ref's in big games ruins the experience.

FireChan

I agree with this. My argument is, just as WEO states, that the OP suggests the officiating in the Superbowl was inconsistent with the regular season. I am stating, maybe too emphatically, that it was not. Seattle played the exact brand of football they played all year.

As for being "jacked" and in the right place at the right time, they do have these people called coaches and when you give a great defensive team two weeks to prepare against a great offensive team, I strongly believe the defense will win almost every, if not every time. Seattle's defensive line dominated Denver's offensive line and executed the game plan perfectly, allowing them to drop 7 into coverage most of the night, get Manning off his spots and disrupting his timing throughout the game. Brilliantly coached and brilliantly executed.

I will also add that John Fox severely dropped the ball by not practicing with loud speakers because "Superbowl crowds are quieter". That crowd sounded as loud as any Superbowl game I have heard and when you aren't prepared for it because you failed to prepare for it, the advantage goes to the defense in a big way.

So your counter argument is that the refs "call the dogs off" when Seattle plays? That's still inconsistency.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your counter argument is that the refs "call the dogs off" when Seattle plays? That's still inconsistency.

I notice that the refs have no compunction on calling defensive holding on Stefon Gilmore.

And I agree that Seattle always plays like they did Sunday and get only a few holding calls. Getting a holding call or PI call per game is just the cost of doing business for them.

Edited by reddogblitz

I agree with this. My argument is, just as WEO states, that the OP suggests the officiating in the Superbowl was inconsistent with the regular season. I am stating, maybe too emphatically, that it was not. Seattle played the exact brand of football they played all year.

As for being "jacked" and in the right place at the right time, they do have these people called coaches and when you give a great defensive team two weeks to prepare against a great offensive team, I strongly believe the defense will win almost every, if not every time. Seattle's defensive line dominated Denver's offensive line and executed the game plan perfectly, allowing them to drop 7 into coverage most of the night, get Manning off his spots and disrupting his timing throughout the game. Brilliantly coached and brilliantly executed.

I will also add that John Fox severely dropped the ball by not practicing with loud speakers because "Superbowl crowds are quieter". That crowd sounded as loud as any Superbowl game I have heard and when you aren't prepared for it because you failed to prepare for it, the advantage goes to the defense in a big way.

check, check and double check. it's not my place to suggest what the OP's original intent was, but I've felt that inconsistency from officials game to game has given some NFL games a very WWE feel. I know rationally that the fix is not in, I know rationally that no one is out to get me--but we don't love the game for rational reasons.

but--based on where i am at this point as a fan---i get very pissed off when that let 'em play/don't let 'em play question comes up. call the frigging penalties. don't call b-s penalties, but don't call 'em sometimes and let 'em go others. i understand that officials make mistakes or don't see everything that we can see in super slow-mo, but some of the stuff is, in my opinion, unprofessional.

i was pulling for denver, but agree seattle was the best team out there for 60 straight minutes. good point on john fox--denver looked unprepared pretty much across the board. that said--let's assume for a second that the penalty is called on the seattle defense when the receiver is intergfered with. At that point, it's early, denver has a first down and maybe theya re still in business. football is an emotional game, and when everything seems to being going against you, it's becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

anyway, misery loves company so i'm on my way to a sporting event where one of my friends will be, he's a denver fan, i get to bring that up.... so everybody wins.

I'm sorry you have a jaded point of view and the Seahawks' success has tainted your NFL experience.

You say jaded......I say observant.

The Broncos play 8 road games every year.......including one in KC which is arguably the loudest venue in the AFC. Was it louder than a usual SB? Yes. Did they need to prepare like they were going to Seattle? No. Criticize coaching much? :lol:

If you are arguing that ref incosistency has been par for the course all season long, you are disagreeing gwith the OP--who stated that the rules somehow changed for the SB only.

"the refs should let them play. But this was such an insane difference from regular season football I couldn't even believe it."

I am agreeing withop. In the superbowl there was a lot of downfield contact that was uncalled. It was a contrast to what I feel like I saw for the bulk of the season, then I cited a specific out of norm outlier game for buf where the impact of the contrast could be related to by a bills fan.

Look at highlights from the Super Bowl again. There were numerous play where Seattle was there before the ball. On the lone broncos TD a guy was already tackling DT before the ball got there. If the whole season was called that way, the broncs wouldn't be in the Super Bowl.

I am fine with that brand of football. But it's gotta be all season.

You say jaded......I say observant.

The Broncos play 8 road games every year.......including one in KC which is arguably the loudest venue in the AFC. Was it louder than a usual SB? Yes. Did they need to prepare like they were going to Seattle? No. Criticize coaching much? :lol:

How many football games have you coached?

How many football games have you coached?

Come on man... Seattle is a highly physical team down the field, and it's discussed frequently. They also have an abnormally high rate of PED suspensions. Coach as much high school football as you want - it doesn't mean that its crazy to note both those things. Whether they have been getting too extreme with each is certainly a fair debate even if you disagree with (a large number of) other people saying that they do. Further, yea, this should've been approximately middle of the pack noise wise for the broncos this year. While it was a mistake to not be more ready for the noise, it's not like they have played in 8 louder games this year alone, and many of the players hundreds of them.

Edited by NoSaint

Come on man... Seattle is a highly physical team down the field, and it's discussed frequently. They also have an abnormally high rate of PED suspensions. Coach as much high school football as you want - it doesn't mean that its crazy to note both those things. Whether they have been getting too extreme with each is certainly a fair debate even if you disagree with (a large number of) other people saying that they do. Further, yea, this should've been approximately middle of the pack noise wise for the broncos this year. While it was a mistake to not be more ready for the noise, it's not like they have played in 8 louder games this year alone, and many of the players hundreds of them.

My point about coaching is the attention to detail. Carroll ran his last practice with a 31 minute break in the middle to simulate half time. His team was READY, and PED's or refs had nothing to do with that.

The noise was a factor (see safety) and Denver was not able to properly communicate. That's part of being ill prepared and the Denver players themselves readily admit they were nowhere near prepared as Seattle.

They've played tons of road games, no s***, but game plans, protections and line checks, along with the way they are communicated, change. If you practice these without noise because you think your QB will be heard and come game time he isn't, then that is a horrible job of preparing your team.

Just took the 15 mins. to watch the video....was very interesting.

There's only 2 conclusions that can be proffered. That game was either 1) Fixed by the Refs, or 2) the Refs are incredibly incompetent. The fumble/takeaway at the goal line was the biggest one, in my mind. It's not like he was in a scrum, and you couldn't see what happened. It was as plain as can be, with a Side Judge looking right at it, yet it wasn't called.

My point about coaching is the attention to detail. Carroll ran his last practice with a 31 minute break in the middle to simulate half time. His team was READY, and PED's or refs had nothing to do with that.

The noise was a factor (see safety) and Denver was not able to properly communicate. That's part of being ill prepared and the Denver players themselves readily admit they were nowhere near prepared as Seattle.

They've played tons of road games, no s***, but game plans, protections and line checks, along with the way they are communicated, change. If you practice these without noise because you think your QB will be heard and come game time he isn't, then that is a horrible job of preparing your team.

Are there any sources for this?