The inconsistency of ref's in big games ruins the experience.

FireChan

Referee inconsistency is downright idiotic. Half of the hits in the Superbowl would have been called unnecessary roughness week 10 of the regular season. Why do the refs do this and why do fans seem to like it? We crown Denver with the best offense in the league, then make them play the Superbowl under a different set of rules? Might as well have made them play soccer and wonder why they didn't score 10 goals against Man U.

I understand that people say they don't want calls to decide games. And I agree. So, 4th quarter or so, the refs should let them play. But this was such an insane difference from regular season football I couldn't even believe it. Even worse, an insane difference from the 49ers and Panthers game a few weeks back in the playoffs. They called about 10 penalties in the first quarter, mostly unnecessary roughness. Some of the calls were identical to non-calls in the Superbowl.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not condoning pass- and offense-happy rules. I'm just saying the rules should be the same in the regular and postseason or else what is the point?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you provide specific examples? Otherwise your post just comes off as whining. Especially when you extremely overexaggerate by saying half the hits would get flagged. Seattle hits like that in every gene I saw them play in btw.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Can you provide specific examples? Otherwise your post just comes off as whining. Especially when you extremely overexaggerate by saying half the hits would get flagged. Seattle hits like that in every gene I saw them play in btw.

Why would I whine? It wasn't the Bills playing. And I won't be able to post examples until some of the major plays are on YouTube. I was just putting this out there and seeing if anyone had come to the same conclusion.

Why would I whine? It wasn't the Bills playing. And I won't be able to post examples until some of the major plays are on YouTube. I was just putting this out there and seeing if anyone had come to the same conclusion.

Wasn't attacking here. Just curious because I didn't see the same officiating you did.

Edit. There have been a number of games where I would agree, this just wasn't one of them.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Wasn't attacking here. Just curious because I didn't see the same officiating you did.

Edit. There have been a number of Ganges where I would agree, this just wasn't one of them.

Some of Seattle's hits would have been flagged in that Panthers game though right?

What about the kick coverage when 3 guys jumped on the pile a good 2 seconds after the whistle?

Chan got fired 13 months ago.

People don't forget.

Some of Seattle's hits would have been flagged in that Panthers game though right?

What about the kick coverage when 3 guys jumped on the pile a good 2 seconds after the whistle?

People don't forget.

Well the Panthers-49ers game was a combustible situation. So yes. But the players weren't in each other's face after every play like that game. I can't speak about guys jumping on piles because nothing sticks out in my mind.

If anything I thought Seattle had a right to complain about the officiating. I thought Wilson clearly had the 1st down and that the call should have been reversed or moved closer to the 1st down marker. I remember Denver getting away with a helmet to helmet hit in the 3rd that should have been a 15 yard penalty. Finally for some reason the Denver receivers seem to be able to get away with pass interference just about every play. It's real funny because San Diego & New England both got called for picks when they played Denver. I talked to KC fan who said Denver did it all year too.

Did you read the original post? I liked the way they calle the game, I just wish it was consistent.

No you didn't. In fact, you said "We crown Denver with the best offense in the league, then make them play the Superbowl under a different set of rules?".

It's why you started this thread. Clearly you think the Broncos were getting jobbed--in this game.

This game was well called. It wasn't even close.

Edited by Mr. WEO

No you didn't. In fact, you said "We crown Denver with the best offense in the league, then make them play the Superbowl under a different set of rules?".

It's why you started this thread. Clearly you think the Broncos were getting jobbed--in this game.

The game was called the same for both teams, but differently from other playoff games. There were plays by the Seattle secondary that I've seen called as pass interference in other games this season.

Wouldn't have made the Broncos defense tackle any better. But it was annoying as hell.

Because the game wasn't called the same way regular season games and other playoff games were called. Whether that means the Broncos wouldn't be the number one offense under these rules, or should be but were jobbed by the officiating changes in the Superbowl is irrelevant. Clearly, I'm not the only one who says some calls that have been made in other playoff and regular season were not made tonight.

I only stated it from Denver's side because I thought that saying Seattle "got away" with calls would make it seem like I believed in the refs favoring Seattle. Which I don't. In a vacuum, it was a great officiated game, but based on other games it was inconsistent at best.

I saw a handful of helmet to helmet hits that weren't called, and was surprised.

Exactly. Breathing on another player's helmet, even if the player moved his helmet into the defender's is a call we've seen over and over in every game. But not this one.

Unbelievable topic. I bet you won't find 3 plays that should have drawn a flag. This was physical domination. The refs called a great, consistent game and were what they should be: a non-factor.

Should have? Based on other calls made this year? I bet I could find double that.

Edited by FireChan

Honestly, I had very few issues with the officiating tonight. Seattle beat Denver to a pulp, but that was more the result of one team (Seattle) being prepared to play their game, and the other (Denver...the team I was pulling for) basically, quitting after their first offensive possession. Denver players just stopped playing, and they get the snot kicked out of them because of it. The Broncos efforts reminded me very much of pretty much every Super Bowl from 1982-1997...awful game.

As another poster stated the game you saw is what you see when the guys wearing numbers in the 50's look like guys that should be linebackers. You are jaded and misguided because the Bills have lined up guys like Coy Wire, Poz, and Kiko for a decade to play LB. We are outgunned before the first snap. Our NT is 50 pounds smaller than needed. Our MLB is 20 pounds too small. Our SS is 20 pounds too small. Our WR's are three inches too short and a step too slow. What we saw tonight is what true talent looks like. Big, fast, and having lots of fun.

I think a large portion of it has to do with some of the rules being subjective. Like PI. I remember a tackle on Manning a good 2 seconds after the ball cleared that wasnt called. The point the OP is making is not that the Broncos would have/should have/could have but were denied by the refs or anything, the point is that some teams are allowed to get away with PI, holding or roughing calls when in other games teams ae blown out of the water for them. And I think the OP is right. Refs should call consistently but the aren't. I liked the way the game was called, no discussion there, however as the OP said it wasn't on par with how other games have been called this year.