Big Game today - Broncos vs Seahawks - for all the marbles

Just Jack

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a lot of grief for saying the fix was in so why watch till the end, but we all know there are key times in a game where a call or non-call can swing a game. Denver driving and getting an obvious PI call that puts them at 1st and goal, then putting up some points before the half may have made it a different game. Perhaps this game and some of the calls that benefited Seattle balances the karmic criminality of the calls when Seattle was robbed in their SB with the Steelers.

Congrats to the Hawks for joining the ranks of SB winners.

Not saying that Denver would have won, just that the game may have been more watchable. Manning was definitely off on a lot of his throws due to the edge pressure that Seattle was able to bring. Over running coverage on that pop-fly kick to Harvin was another example of "one often meets their destiny on the road they take to avoid it".

Denver has more issues at heart than calls going for or against them. It nearly made me sick to see the level of non-compete that Denver receiver showed when Manning's arm was hit and threw that pass that looked like a bad punt. Rather than bail your QB out and act like a DB on that play knocking that ball down or even taking an offensive PI, his receiver just stood there and let it get intercepted virtually non-contested. Then it gets ran back for a score. I thought that Ball was going to be a better runner coming into this league than he has been, and without sporting a lead Denver looks very ordinary.

While watching the game I could not help think about the abuse that would have hit here if the quarterback had been Brady instead of Manning.

Seattle won't be back next year. A couple of injuries and bad breaks will stop them like it stops everyone else.

While watching the game I could not help think about the abuse that would have hit here if the quarterback had been Brady instead of Manning.

Seattle won't be back next year. A couple of injuries and bad breaks will stop them like it stops everyone else.

the problem is that normally the super bowl bounce on your mid tier free agents, coupled with your young guys going into their first big contract kills the cap. seattle has a pretty good handle on this for atleast one more year. then things might get real dicey for them. look for them to take care of a couple of their own early this offseason, but in a year they will have some tough guys to sign.

i wouldnt be shocked to see marshawn be a casuality in 12 months, as his cap hit will be 9m in 2015, and cutting him would save 7.5m of that (plus he will be 30)

To me, the thing that stands out for the Seahawks is that their recipe for success is one that lends itself to sustainability. They have good total team Defense, Special Teams that is second to none, and running game that can pound the ball while a passing game that is not dependent on ONE outstanding WR but rather a set of WRs that are talented and can get open. The Offensive line needs some help and they'll have some decisions to make regarding who to re-sign on Defense and work hard at staying under the cap, but that's a recipe that doesn't depend on whims or smoke and mirrors...just good talent, all 3 phases playing well, and solid coaching with integrating multiple players at various positions. Not just a great QB or RB or one aspect of good Defense...hard to game plan for 22 starters plus STs...

To me, the thing that stands out for the Seahawks is that their recipe for success is one that lends itself to sustainability. They have good total team Defense, Special Teams that is second to none, and running game that can pound the ball while a passing game that is not dependent on ONE outstanding WR but rather a set of WRs that are talented and can get open. The Offensive line needs some help and they'll have some decisions to make regarding who to re-sign on Defense and work hard at staying under the cap, but that's a recipe that doesn't depend on whims or smoke and mirrors...just good talent, all 3 phases playing well, and solid coaching with integrating multiple players at various positions. Not just a great QB or RB or one aspect of good Defense...hard to game plan for 22 starters plus STs...

well, the hard to sustain part is that its pretty difficult to sustain 22 starters plus ridiculous depth within the salary cap. having multiple probowl talents, and a pretty good qb all on rookie contracts make it sustainable for about 1 more year.... then it gets to be interesting on how they maintain it. having 53 really good players including about 30 top notch players in your rotations on O and D is the epitome of what CANT be sustained in the nfl.

Edited by NoSaint

well, the hard to sustain part is that its pretty difficult to sustain 22 starters plus ridiculous depth within the salary cap. having multiple probowl talents, and a pretty good qb all on rookie contracts make it sustainable for about 1 more year.... then it gets to be interesting on how they maintain it. having 53 really good players including about 30 top notch players in your rotations on O and D is the epitome of what CANT be sustained in the nfl.

I disagree from the standpoint that it is a total team effort...in otherwords, because it's multiple players on various fronts, the sustainability is not based on ONE, individual player but rather on the totality of talent and effort. So, while the Hawks may not be able to sign all starting 22 players to top tier money, their ability to continually keep key components and draft wisely, as they already have, to keep good Rookies and young players in the mix is not only sustainable, it's nearly mandated based on the Draft and salary measurements for their FAs and pending FAs....so, I respectfully disagree....because while all of those players contributed significantly, not all of them are going to garner significant contracts....many of them will get middle-tier money based on the type of player they truly are, good but not elite. And those that ARE elite, will get that money from the Seahawks. Just IMO...

I disagree from the standpoint that it is a total team effort...in otherwords, because it's multiple players on various fronts, the sustainability is not based on ONE, individual player but rather on the totality of talent and effort. So, while the Hawks may not be able to sign all starting 22 players to top tier money, their ability to continually keep key components and draft wisely, as they already have, to keep good Rookies and young players in the mix is not only sustainable, it's nearly mandated based on the Draft and salary measurements for their FAs and pending FAs....so, I respectfully disagree....because while all of those players contributed significantly, not all of them are going to garner significant contracts....many of them will get middle-tier money based on the type of player they truly are, good but not elite. And those that ARE elite, will get that money from the Seahawks. Just IMO...

check out any team thats recently won the super bowl and the raises that its players have gotten. they get extra national attention, extra pro bowl awards, a bump for their rings - guys cost more to keep to do the same job.

which leaves you to drafting replacements - and drafting at the bottom of every round - show me any team thats been able to draft like seattle has for a long term stretch. short windows, sure, but no ones picking up probowlers annually in the mid/late rounds.

then your coaches start getting signed away, and members of the front office. which is also already starting.

the way the league is set up is that teams like seattle dont get to exist for very long. that said, they should be highly competitive long term, but not head and shoulders above everyone else.

check out any team thats recently won the super bowl and the raises that its players have gotten. they get extra national attention, extra pro bowl awards, a bump for their rings - guys cost more to keep to do the same job.

which leaves you to drafting replacements - and drafting at the bottom of every round - show me any team thats been able to draft like seattle has for a long term stretch. short windows, sure, but no ones picking up probowlers annually in the mid/late rounds.

then your coaches start getting signed away, and members of the front office. which is also already starting.

the way the league is set up is that teams like seattle dont get to exist for very long. that said, they should be highly competitive long term, but not head and shoulders above everyone else.

The last line is essentially what I'm getting at....and that's my larger point. One player can make a huge impact in ONE year, but in order to be perennial winners, you must build a model of sustainability. And it takes a total team approach to do that...and there are Pro-Bowl caliber players Drafted every year in the middle rounds...the fact that one team doesn't do it every year is only what has happened thus far, but the Seahawks are not the team they've been until Carroll arrived and few other teams have done that....you can look at teams like the Pats, 49ers of recent, Ravens to a lesser extent over the last several years, they all build a total team approach and even the Giants to the same extent of the Ravens. The Giants won two Super Bowls in spite of their QB, yet it was their QB who made two incredible throws and superb catches made by two much maligned WRs in each game with a Defense that otherwise dominated the Patriots, a total team approach....to summarize, it's hard to sustain a winning team in a league of parity, but it CAN be done by highly intelligent football guys and spending the money on *POSITIONS* and not players in particular. Teams built on great player(s) can win and often do, but as seen last night ala Peyton, when it's built on one player, it's harder to sustain winning given that even great players have bad games individually.

I am impressed with Carroll, it has been said that no team pays harder and has more fun than the Seahawks. He deserves a ton of credit for that. He has built a culture that has worked and a focus on team that is a solid foundation for the revolving door of players. They drafted well and their line up is filled with middle round draft picks. Carroll has gotten more out of players by selling he dea that he treats them well and that they have a home in Seattle. You need not look farther than the Bills own Marshawn Lynch for the fruits of that approach.

Back in the BLO, the Bills are running players out on a rail for immaturity and human foibles, perhaps a more reasoned approach is required.

Got a question here....in the Stadium they had two huge tv screens hanging around the bowl (might have even been 4), but it looked like those screens would have surely blocked out the view from some fans. Did they, or were those seats just not sold, or maybe security personnel sat behind those screens? Just curious....