Draft: Mathews, Robinson, or Lewan

TPS

The Bills had 2 more runs of 40+ but the 9ers had 9 more runs of 20+ yards.

And unless you have the fastest back in the league who can beat anyone in a foot race, the only way you break 20+ yard runs is your OL getting to the second level and blocking LBs. That's what the 2013 Bills failed to do with Levitre (their best pulling lineman) gone and the regression of Pears.

They couldn't run the trey play that got them so much success before...in either direction. They couldn't pull left with Glenn and the LG because Legursky or Brown would miss or whiff on their block. They couldn't pull right because Pears seemingly lost 50% of his agility.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And unless you have the fastest back in the league who can beat anyone in a foot race, the only way you break 20+ yard runs is your OL getting to the second level and blocking LBs. That's what the 2013 Bills failed to do with Levitre (their best pulling lineman) gone

and the regression of Pears.

They couldn't run the trey play that got them so much success before...in either direction. They couldn't pull left with Glenn and the LG because Legursky or Brown would miss or whiff on their block. They couldn't pull right because Pears seemingly lost 50% of his agility.

I'd say their QB elevated the rushing statistics. They also graded out as below average offensive line.

We fans that want to finally build a top O line will probably need to wait for a new coaching staff, as I don't see this regime drafting for the O line.

They tried to get by with scrubs last year, and will probably try again this year, as I don't see anyone in this regime smart enough to build a top offense.

somewhere I read Marrone's assessment of the Oline, and he only praised Glenn and woods. They know they need to upgrade at least lg and rt this year, and they will. Hopefully, at least one of the first 2 picks will address the OL.

This draft looks like it will be a wild one given all of the QBs that will most likely go early. Hopefully a team or two reaches for an unexpected player and either Mathews or Robinson are available at 9. One of those and a TE at 2 would be nice. Though the LB position has to addressed too.

somewhere I read Marrone's assessment of the Oline, and he only praised Glenn and woods. They know they need to upgrade at least lg and rt this year, and they will. Hopefully, at least one of the first 2 picks will address the OL.

This draft looks like it will be a wild one given all of the QBs that will most likely go early. Hopefully a team or two reaches for an unexpected player and either Mathews or Robinson are available at 9. One of those and a TE at 2 would be nice. Though the LB position has to addressed too.

The Bills website stated that Marrone likes the 3 new waiver wire scrubs that Whaley picked up this season after they cut Brown & Young, and he thinks they will be good players. So I'm not holding my breath waiting for this regime to grow a brain anytime soon.

I really like Robinson but I hate the idea of a top 10 RT. Seriously, who does that? I wanted Bryan Bulaga in the Spiller draft and he is the definition of average. You draft difference makers in the 1st round. RTs aren't difference makers.

Sure they are, its just they don't get the notoriety because they don't touch the ball very often.

I would think Peyton Manning would have loved to have had a "difference maker" RT.

The Seahawks only blitzed 6 out of 51 of Manning's drop backs. This tells me his line didn't hold up very well at all.

The Bills website stated that Marrone likes the 3 new waiver wire scrubs that Whaley picked up this season after they cut Brown & Young, and he thinks they will be good players. So I'm not holding my breath waiting for this regime to grow a brain anytime soon.

Sure they are, its just they don't get the notoriety because they don't touch the ball very often.

I would think Peyton Manning would have loved to have had a "difference maker" RT.

The Seahawks only blitzed 6 out of 51 of Manning's drop backs. This tells me his line didn't hold up very well at all.

Could that just be because Seattle had an elite defense? Because their offense held up fine all season and set records despite being down a pro bowl LT.

Look at the recent history of 1st round picks Ts. Very mixed bag and some flat out awful busts. And the majority of the Ts picked are LTs. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/T-1980-now.htm

I really like Robinson but a top 10 pick on a RT is a wasted pick IMO. I'd rather just keep Pears because how much difference would there really be?

We don't need OTs! Where is this coming from? We almost lead the league in rushing! We need a big play WR or LB. Get some depth after round 4. We need playmakers badly.

Agree with this. We need better Guards and they will be there later on. Get the best ILB or WR available in the first and second rounds, TE in the third G fourth, then BPA.

I really like Robinson but I hate the idea of a top 10 RT. Seriously, who does that? I wanted Bryan Bulaga in the Spiller draft and he is the definition of average. You draft difference makers in the 1st round. RTs aren't difference makers.

The 49ers do

Could that just be because Seattle had an elite defense? Because their offense held up fine all season and set records despite being down a pro bowl LT.

Look at the recent history of 1st round picks Ts. Very mixed bag and some flat out awful busts. And the majority of the Ts picked are LTs. http://www.pro-footb.../T-1980-now.htm

I really like Robinson but a top 10 pick on a RT is a wasted pick IMO. I'd rather just keep Pears because how much difference would there really be?

Well, first of all the Bills had penciled Chris Hairston in at RT in training camp before he suffered a injury. Then he suffered another undisclosed injury that put him on IR for the year.

If you can't fathom the difference between a top tackle and Eric Pears, and don't think that Manning could have utilized a top player at RT or why the Bills RT position needs a top upgrade, then any further comments I make will probably be wasted.

However, I honestly can't fault you tho because the entire Bills org seems to have those same thoughts for years.

Like I already said,

We fans that want to finally build a top O line will probably need to wait for a new coaching staff, as I don't see this regime drafting for the O line.

They tried to get by with scrubs last year, and will probably try again this year, as I don't see anyone in this regime smart enough to build a top offense.

Me personally, I love watching an O line dominate in a game. The meaner and the nastier the better, and I don't mean Richie Incognito "stupid nasty". I mean a Kent Hull mauler type nasty.

You may have loved watching Kelly throwing to Reed, and or Thurman breaking it for a big run. I loved watching Hull, Wolford, and Ritcher open holes for Thurman so big that you could drive a car thru them, and those holes were in playoff games against top teams.

I'll be completely honest here, in my opinion even that great O line of the 90's could have been more dominate on that right side. It may not have been that big a factor in the first SB against the Giants. It certainly did come into play for the next three.

In summation, the biggest reason I've been touting about building the O line with first and second round picks is mostly because it appears that nobody this entire org...."obviously" cannot discern the difference between a Colin Brown- Sam Young, and a decent player.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Seems there are three camps with this draft: big target WR/TE, LB, or OT. I've flopped around the first two for awhile, but recently have been convinced by the OL camp. As I look at various mocks, I'm not so sure that Mathews or Robinson will be available, which has me looking at Lewan. I like what I've read about him, especially that he plays with a mean streak. I've noticed he's been moving up draft boards as well.

Bottom line, I'd be fine with either of these 3 OTs at the 9th pick. Obviously, add in an upgrade at LG, and the bills have one heck of an OL, which helps both EJ and the D. Imagine CJ and FJ with a dominant line...can't wait.

I'd even add Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio into the mix. At 6'6'' 310 I think he compares to Fluker taken at #11 by the Chargers last year, and look what that upgrade did for the San Diego O line last year compared to the 2012 season.

I consider the guy as the best run blocker in this years draft. Plus, Cyrus only allowed 1.5 sacks in 335 pass attempts and played especially well against Arkansas DE Chris Smith in October.

At this time he isn't that highly regarded in most mock drafts. My take is that he will move up on many boards after the combine

Edited by FeartheLosing

I'd even add Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio into the mix. At 6'6'' 310 I think he compares to Fluker taken at #11 by the Chargers last year, and look what that upgrade did for the San Diego O line last year compared to the 2012 season.

I consider the guy as the best run blocker in this years draft. Plus, Cyrus only allowed 1.5 sacks in 335 pass attempts and played especially well against Arkansas DE Chris Smith in October.

At this time he isn't that highly regarded in most mock drafts. My take is that he will move up on many boards after the combine

I agree with the Fluker statement, but what also helped San Diego was a new system and a better coached OL Coach....talent is absolutely necessary, but absent proper coaching and an intelligent system, it's wasted.

The 49ers do

Yup, they are always exceptions to the rule. It's like Tom Brady getting picked in the 6th round.

Well, first of all the Bills had penciled Chris Hairston in at RT in training camp before he suffered a injury. Then he suffered another undisclosed injury that put him on IR for the year.

If you can't fathom the difference between a top tackle and Eric Pears, and don't think that Manning could have utilized a top player at RT or why the Bills RT position needs a top upgrade, then any further comments I make will probably be wasted.

However, I honestly can't fault you tho because the entire Bills org seems to have those same thoughts for years.

Like I already said,

Me personally, I love watching an O line dominate in a game. The meaner and the nastier the better, and I don't mean Richie Incognito "stupid nasty". I mean a Kent Hull mauler type nasty.

You may have loved watching Kelly throwing to Reed, and or Thurman breaking it for a big run. I loved watching Hull, Wolford, and Ritcher open holes for Thurman so big that you could drive a car thru them, and those holes were in playoff games against top teams.

I'll be completely honest here, in my opinion even that great O line of the 90's could have been more dominate on that right side. It may not have been that big a factor in the first SB against the Giants. It certainly did come into play for the next three.

In summation, the biggest reason I've been touting about building the O line with first and second round picks is mostly because it appears that nobody this entire org...."obviously" cannot discern the difference between a Colin Brown- Sam Young, and a decent player.

You have an old school mentality and I respect that. But it is a different NFL. You are killing your salary cap situation if you put big money into offensive line, especially at the G and RT positions. With the amount of spread offense teams play, the emphasis of having an oline of great blockers is reduced greatly.

Sure if you can sink 1st and 2nd round picks into every position, it'd be great. But you can't. If the Bills had a need at LT, I could get behind Robinson at #9. But there needs are so great at other positions. Pears isn't great but he's far from the biggest problem on this team. Seattle won the SB because they had playmakers all over the field. Not because they had a dominant oline. You have to think with the new NFL model in mind.

The biggest problem with our OL, is our QB.

Regardless of who was back there, they struggled with reads, held the ball too long, and got sacked. They QB also makes a lot of run calls and audibles, many of which I am sure where messed up, and resulted in blown plays.

But we still don't have a big WR or a TE, both of which will help our QB.

Edited by peterpan

He had a terrible bowl game which I think hurt his draft stock. His #s during the season look good though especially based on the level of competition he was facing.

Yes, I've looked at him a bit. Ideally, I'd like to see the Bills trade back into the 12-15 range and select one of these OTs. It will depend on who's there at 9 and if the Bills don't value that player as much as others do.