Draft: Mathews, Robinson, or Lewan

TPS

The Bills need to draft OL to help develop EJ. Our strength is running the football, we need to build on that and grow with this QB. Its not like there are no WR's on the team. Yes we need a #1, but that will come down the road. If anything they can sign a decent WR in FA to take Graham's spot. I also like Goodwin on the outside. He is a good blocker and scares defenses.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems there are three camps with this draft: big target WR/TE, LB, or OT. I've flopped around the first two for awhile, but recently have been convinced by the OL camp. As I look at various mocks, I'm not so sure that Mathews or Robinson will be available, which has me looking at Lewan. I like what I've read about him, especially that he plays with a mean streak. I've noticed he's been moving up draft boards as well.

Bottom line, I'd be fine with either of these 3 OTs at the 9th pick. Obviously, add in an upgrade at LG, and the bills have one heck of an OL, which helps both EJ and the D. Imagine CJ and FJ with a dominant line...can't wait.

We fans that want to finally build a top O line will probably need to wait for a new coaching staff, as I don't see this regime drafting for the O line.

They tried to get by with scrubs last year, and will probably try again this year, as I don't see anyone in this regime smart enough to build a top offense.

We fans that want to finally build a top O line will probably need to wait for a new coaching staff, as I don't see this regime drafting for the O line.

They tried to get by with scrubs last year, and will probably try again this year, as I don't see anyone in this regime smart enough to build a top offense.

While I don't agree that Marrone and Hackett are not "smart enough", they did just add an Offensive Assistant from the Ravens who has a SB ring. So I think they are certainly open to learning... and I think Schwartz can help as well even as the DC, having been the HC of a team that had a pretty dynamic offense at times, especially with how they used Reggie Bush last year (Spiller).

Why do you think that? The only scrubs were in the LG position, do you not think they will upgrade that position? They extended Eric Wood and made an outstanding pick two years ago in Cordy Glenn and developed him very well. They can upgrade RT, but Pears isn't your off the street scrub.

The Bills need to draft OL to help develop EJ. Our strength is running the football, we need to build on that and grow with this QB. Its not like there are no WR's on the team. Yes we need a #1, but that will come down the road. If anything they can sign a decent WR in FA to take Graham's spot. I also like Goodwin on the outside. He is a good blocker and scares defenses.

I think it's much harder finding a true #1 receiver in rounds 2nd-7th than it is finding quality offensive lineman there. Also, I see no truly viable #1 receiver in the 2014 free agent WR list. Boldin's too old for this team and Decker is a #2 guy IMO.

I really think that Kelvin Benjamin's stock will rise the next few months and he very well could end up being the Bills pick at #9. The dude is nearly the perfect NFL #1 WR specimen...6'5", athletic, knows how to go up and catch jump balls, and the kicker is that he's a former team mate of Manuel having caught 4 TD passes from him in his sophomore year. Yes, he's raw and drops some balls. But if he wasn't flawed he'd go in the top 5 picks of the draft.

I did not think this truth hurts one bit .

FTL ,

If Marrone did not learn a valuable lesson about not replacing Andy Levitre then he is stupid. and he isnt.

he just blew that call.

His Dog would not talk to him all season over that flub .

I think i will have better opinion about the draft after FA opens up.

we can score some lineman heck yes draft receivers . hell grab a QB in the 3rd. But fix that damn line !

Sorry, it was the super Sunday beer influence talking...

well done sir . Yolo , i suggest you dismiss this case due to good chararcter

After watching them all play. I rank them :1.Robinson 2. Mathews 3.Lewan. I think Mathews is the most polished, but has less upside than Robinson, Lewan is a bit stiff in his movements for me.

But lets us keep in mind we should be wishful and pick the guy who can play swing tackle until we get the Hairston thing sorted. Pears doesnt swing and if he can restructure to play back up ?

Heaven forbid Cordy ever goes down but hey ya gotta hedge those bets.

Isnt Robinson the guy who can play either side ??

And for e poster who said we almost lead the league because of volume, I ask you, "What the hell else should we have done/"

I'm just saying. Lets say over the course of 4 games, Team A runs the ball 125 times for 400 yards. Team B runs the ball 75 times for 375 yards. Their running backs are similar caliber, and they play the same opponents.

Which team has the better OL? The one averaging 3 yards per carry or the one averaging 5 yards per carry?

In 2013, the Bills were like Team A. They ran the ball more than anyone else, so OF COURSE they were near the top of the league in rushing yards. But they were middle of the pack in yards per carry. They had almost 40 more carries than the next team.

Volume does not equal success. Matt Stafford throws 50+ passes it seems like every week, does that make him the best QB?

Edited by JM57

I'm just saying. Lets say over the course of 4 games, Team A runs the ball 125 times for 400 yards. Team B runs the ball 75 times for 375 yards. Their running backs are similar caliber, and they play the same opponents.

Which team has the better OL? The one averaging 3 yards per carry or the one averaging 5 yards per carry?

In 2013, the Bills were like Team A. They ran the ball more than anyone else, so OF COURSE they were near the top of the league in rushing yards. But they were middle of the pack in yards per carry. They had almost 40 more carries than the next team.

Volume does not equal success. Matt Stafford throws 50+ passes it seems like every week, does that make him the best QB?

and did you watch CJ this past year ? Anyone ?

13. running sideways

The O line inspired No confidence for anyone behind the scrimmage line. Fred was just amazing how he found and fought for what he got with so many busted plays.

i found the lack of ability to execute brutal to watch. I know Nate and Marrone ran similar plays over and over . Thinking that the line would hopefully find a bread and butter run call

They averaged around 2 more carries per game than the 49ers who most consider to have an elite line. SF averaged .2 more ypc. Their top running back from the previous year was hurt. Also the QB play was not helping the situation.

They averaged around 2 more carries per game than the 49ers who most consider to have an elite line. SF averaged .2 more ypc. Their top running back from the previous year was hurt. Also the QB play was not helping the situation.

SF also doesn't have a game changing RB like Spiller can be. Frank Gore is a very good RB but he's not the type who breaks your back with a long TD run. He's the type that bangs and bangs for 4 quarters and wears your defense down. 3 yards and a cloud of dust type guy.

SF also doesn't have a game changing RB like Spiller can be. Frank Gore is a very good RB but he's not the type who breaks your back with a long TD run. He's the type that bangs and bangs for 4 quarters and wears your defense down. 3 yards and a cloud of dust type guy.

The Bills had 2 more runs of 40+ but the 9ers had 9 more runs of 20+ yards.

While I don't agree that Marrone and Hackett are not "smart enough", they did just add an Offensive Assistant from the Ravens who has a SB ring. So I think they are certainly open to learning... and I think Schwartz can help as well even as the DC, having been the HC of a team that had a pretty dynamic offense at times, especially with how they used Reggie Bush last year (Spiller).

Why do you think that? The only scrubs were in the LG position, do you not think they will upgrade that position? They extended Eric Wood and made an outstanding pick two years ago in Cordy Glenn and developed him very well. They can upgrade RT, but Pears isn't your off the street scrub.

Perhaps that "smart" remark was a tad miss-directed to only the coaching staff. It seems like an edict has been set by the Bills FO to shy away from more then one or two top O linemen since the Jim Kelly days.

But then, don't forget that Marrone went into this season after having been on the field personally coaching - tutoring those O linemen only to find they all regressed, save Glenn. Plus the LG situation totally blew up in their face. How does an ex NFL O lineman- ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC miss how bad Colin Brown and Sam Young were going to be last season?

I mean doesn't that great Bills D line with 3 pro bowlers on it ever practice against their own O line, or do they prance around in Ballerina dresses in practice? How much confidence do you now have in Marrone in evaluating O line talent in something other then a 1st or 2nd round draft choice?

I say scrubs because they are scrubs! Picked up directly off the waiver wire! Players who weren't good enough to even be backups on other teams. Legurski-Pears-Urbik. They worked well somewhat under Gailey because of the scheme he ran.

All three of those players graded in the red against the Patriots in that last game. I mean if they can't play well against the teams biggest rival then WTF good are they?

The Bills were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last season, 16th in run blocking, and yet #28 in pass blocking. This year 30th in the NFL in QB hits allowed with 108. 29th in sacks allowed with 48.

READ THIS! ... https://www.profootb...elusive-rating/

Both Spiller & Jackson make that run game work so well, and it would have been even better had Spiller not had a killer high ankle sprain early in the season.

Just think, what would that current Bills O line would look like going up against that Seahawks defense...exactly!

Edited by FeartheLosing

Perhaps that "smart" remark was a tad miss-directed to only the coaching staff. It seems like an edict has been set by the Bills FO to shy away from more then one or two top O linemen since the Jim Kelly days.

But then, don't forget that Marrone went into this season after having been on the field personally coaching - tutoring those O linemen only to find they all regressed, save Glenn. Plus the LG situation totally blew up in their face. How does an ex NFL O lineman- ex NFL O line coach, ex NFL OC miss how bad Colin Brown and Sam Young were going to be last season?

I mean doesn't that great Bills D line with 3 pro bowlers on it ever practice against their own O line, or do they prance around in Ballerina dresses in practice? How much confidence do you now have in Marrone in evaluating O line talent in something other then a 1st or 2nd round draft choice?

I say scrubs because they are scrubs! Picked up directly off the waiver wire! Players who weren't good enough to even be backups on other teams. Legurski-Pears-Urbik. They worked well somewhat under Gailey because of the scheme he ran.

All three of those players graded in the red against the Patriots in that last game. I mean if they can't play well against the teams biggest rival then WTF good are they?

The Bills were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last season, 16th in run blocking, and yet #28 in pass blocking. This year 30th in the NFL in QB hits allowed with 108. 29th in sacks allowed with 48.

READ THIS! ... https://www.profootb...elusive-rating/

Both Spiller & Jackson make that run game work so well, and it would have been even better had Spiller not had a killer high ankle sprain early in the season.

Just think, what would that current Bills O line would look like going up against that Seahawks defense...exactly!

Haha - that almost made me spit out my coffee. OK, I agree. LOL - that was funny.