Sniff Sniff...14 years ago today

Thailog80

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it the Raiders game when we knocked down the goal posts in celebration?

212771[/snapback]

were you there to be part of the we or old enough to be on the field? We brought down goal post down a few times in 1980 opening game against miami and last game againts rams

yeah, I think I was there, but I can't remember for sure. All that stadium alcohol has pickled my brain!

212785[/snapback]

No. They had heavy security at that game (Gulf War just started). Plus, it was the last game at Rich before the carpet was going to be replaced.

Thanks to Rubes, you can get the DVD and watch the game again. Check out my sig.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=16425&st=0

CW

No.  They had heavy security at that game (Gulf War just started).  Plus, it was the last game at Rich before the carpet was going to be replaced.

Thanks to Rubes, you can get the DVD and watch the game again.  Check out my sig.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=16425&st=0

CW

212795[/snapback]

The air campaign against Iraq was launched 16 January 1991. I thought the heavy security was at the superbowl. It had to be the playoff game before that when the posts were knocked down. I think I remember them saying that they were going to beef up security to prevent this from happening again at the Raiders game.

The air campaign against Iraq was launched 16 January 1991.  I thought the heavy security was at the superbowl.  It had to be the playoff game before that when the posts were knocked down.  I think I remember them saying that they were going to beef up security to prevent this from happening again at the Raiders game.

212815[/snapback]

All I know is that I just watched the game two nights ago, and there were frequent interupts because of the war in the Gulf, and that they said there was extra security (and showed them marching out) to avoid us tearing down the goal posts.

CW

All I know is that I just watched the game two nights ago, and there were frequent interupts because of the war in the Gulf, and that they said there was extra security (and showed them marching out) to avoid us tearing down the goal posts.

CW

212822[/snapback]

Well I have a piece of the carpet from that day and Miami win. COuldnt remember if posts came down since I was just going ape since we were going to the superbowl and had just beat the team everyone picked for SB.

yeah, I think I was there, but I can't remember for sure. All that stadium alcohol has pickled my brain!

212785[/snapback]

I remember watching everyone walking home from the game/back to their cars walking past my house with big pieces of NFL goalpost over their shoulders.

remember also Belichick the cheater havin his defense men always coming up lame almost having to be carried off field and than be back in to make a play 1 play later.    This is how they stopped the no huddle by basically cheating

212749[/snapback]

Well before that game... the Bills pulled the same stunts against Cincinnati's no huddle.

I was 10, so I can freely admit I cried... anyone else???...

By the way, back in the good ol days, my family used to split weekends with our friends down the street. EVERY sunday was a big bills party. Drinks, tons of food, decortated the house, we even have one picture where everyone was doing the limbo at half time... Man, those days were fun... Then Todd Collins killed the fun.

212692[/snapback]

I was also 10 and I also cried. Somehow that SB loss still seems more vivid than the other three. It's still tough to watch the footage of Marv Levy watching Norwood's kick miss.

The air campaign against Iraq was launched 16 January 1991.  I thought the heavy security was at the superbowl.  It had to be the playoff game before that when the posts were knocked down.  I think I remember them saying that they were going to beef up security to prevent this from happening again at the Raiders game.

212815[/snapback]

The AFC Championshiup game was January 20th, 4 days after. I remember the announcers saying that there wasn't an extra week between teh Championship game and the Superbowl, and that would benefit the 49ers if they beat the Giants in the NFC.

I'm not sure if the field was stormed after that game, but there were clearly 50-60 police officers on the field before the game was over, so I would assume nobody made it down there. Then again, maybe they were all Bills fans and let the crowd down anyway. Rubes, do you have any of that after-game footage?

CW

The AFC Championshiup game was January 20th, 4 days after.  I remember the announcers saying that there wasn't an extra week between teh Championship game and the Superbowl, and that would benefit the 49ers if they beat the Giants in the NFC.

I'm not sure if the field was stormed after that game, but there were clearly 50-60 police officers on the field before the game was over, so I would assume nobody made it down there.  Then again, maybe they were all Bills fans and let the crowd down anyway.  Rubes, do you have any of that after-game footage?

CW

212900[/snapback]

Only a little bit. Mostly the footage goes into the locker room for interviews, but there are some shots right after the game ends and it doesn't look like people are getting onto the field. I was there for that game as well, and I do recall that security was very heavy all around the stadium, and I don't recall anybody going onto the field.

As deliriously happy as everyone was, I thought the post-game celebration was a bit muted by the fact we were at war, and I don't think people wanted a huge mess on the field.

I remember that game well. During halftime the realization that Buffalo curse was over and we were finally going to the Super Bowl set in! The whole second half was a euphoric haze for me although I do remember KD third td. Several of my friends already had won Super Bowl tickets in the lottery.

The following week and wide-right burned a hole in all our hearts but what a wild ride!

I remember that game well. During halftime the realization that Buffalo curse was over and we were finally going to the Super Bowl set in! The whole second half was a euphoric haze for me although I do remember KD third td. Several of my friends already had won Super Bowl tickets in the lottery.

The following week and wide-right burned a hole in all our hearts but what a wild ride!

212965[/snapback]

Just a note, that year there were two weeks between the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl. Bob Costas noted in the post-game show that one week, instead of two, would have likely benefitted Buffalo. He's probably right. Ah well.