USA's snowiest colleges - W/CNY owns top 3 spots

JÂy RÛßeÒ

potsdam gets an average snowfall of 65"

plattsburgh gets just under 60"

If they counted the colleges way up north like Potsdam the list would be much larger.

They get so much snow up there and blowing wind in the winter that they have to run "life line ropes" from building to building.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list has since been updated to include Oswego.

SUNY Oswego is now tied with Syracuse University at #2 overall.

Another college was added at #1: Michigan Technological University. Michigan Technological University was also missing from the first version of the list.

Link: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_university_snowiest_colleges_usa_suny_oswego.html

potsdam gets an average snowfall of 65"

plattsburgh gets just under 60"

These numbers are crazy to me. When I looked up Oswego I saw 52". Not sure if you have ever ventured up there but they have had singular snow storms that top 3 feet! I don't know if it is poor measuring or what but I still have a hard time believing it is that little.

the same source i used for potsdam and plattsburg shows oswego with 92" snowfall

These numbers are crazy to me. When I looked up Oswego I saw 52". Not sure if you have ever ventured up there but they have had singular snow storms that top 3 feet! I don't know if it is poor measuring or what but I still have a hard time believing it is that little.

It is average. Where are they recording? Chicago gets the benefit of doubt with O'Hare being its official recording station... Greatest season total was about 60" in the early 2000's... I know we have blown that away on the South Side... We had to have. Same with Buffalo being an average of 90+ or so inches.

Has Oswego had mild winters that drag it down? But those tough winters should drag it up!

Anyway, that list is bogus... Besides Lake Superior State, which almost knocks off Syracuse/Oswego... There has to be more schools that get a lot of snow on average. Shows you right there that they wiffed big time on the UP of Michigan totally by having to add the school in Houghton to the list! And that place on AVERAGE gets almost double (200")... Not even close to the others... So they gotta be getting pounded to the tune of almost 250-300" some brutal years... And they are putting "life lines" @ the other schools, are you kidding me! I wonder what they do in Houghton?

are u on lake superior state university's pr payroll??? probably has more to do with areas significant enough to have official weather measurements...if you go to the noaa site, they measure syracuse, but not oswego...but oswego has a sizeable meteorology program so they probably have a fairly respected measuring record to be included in such rankings.

It is average. Where are they recording? Chicago gets the benefit of doubt with O'Hare being its official recording station... Greatest season total was about 60" in the early 2000's... I know we have blown that away on the South Side... We had to have. Same with Buffalo being an average of 90+ or so inches.

Has Oswego had mild winters that drag it down? But those tough winters should drag it up!

Anyway, that list is bogus... Besides Lake Superior State, which almost knocks off Syracuse/Oswego... There has to be more schools that get a lot of snow on average. Shows you right there that they wiffed big time on the UP of Michigan totally by having to add the school in Houghton to the list! And that place on AVERAGE gets almost double (200")... Not even close to the others... So they gotta be getting pounded to the tune of almost 250-300" some brutal years... And they are putting "life lines" @ the other schools, are you kidding me! I wonder what they do in Houghton?

are u on lake superior state university's pr payroll??? probably has more to do with areas significant enough to have official weather measurements...if you go to the noaa site, they measure syracuse, but not oswego...but oswego has a sizeable meteorology program so they probably have a fairly respected measuring record to be included in such rankings.

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan... How can they miss a 120" a year average? Huh? The number one school is in Houghton, just up the road!

Again, sounds like they missed some schools.

maybe that Lake Superior State University was a satellite campus of MTU and they decided to go with the bigger of the schools, and I bet they missed a bunch of schools...i bet there are some in alaska that should be on the list as well...plenty of reasons why that school was not on the list, but if you would like, we can make it an honorary member of the list

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan... How can they miss a 120" a year average? Huh? The number one school is in Houghton, just up the road!

Again, sounds like they missed some schools.

maybe that Lake Superior State University was a satellite campus of MTU and they decided to go with the bigger of the schools, and I bet they missed a bunch of schools...i bet there are some in alaska that should be on the list as well...plenty of reasons why that school was not on the list, but if you would like, we can make it an honorary member of the list

No two different schools, they play each other in hockey upper there.

Anyway, I take umbrage w/calling it the "snowiest schools in the USA." If that is the case, include Alaska. It does appear the list is skewed towards NY and the east, then they had to add MTU. The UP does get dumped on, like I said, they can get it from all angles up there. MTU @ 200 AVERAGE is huge, there is no denying that. That is the all time record for places like Buffalo, Syracuse in the 1970's.

To add a little Yooper humor: (Edit: better version):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50IgzksUqpQ

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

they are different schools now...but i said 'was a satellite campus of MTU'

Much of the university's upbringings can be credited to Michigan College of Mining & Technology, which is now known as Michigan Technological University. The mining and technology college opened the Sault Ste. Marie Residence Center of the Michigan College of Mining & Technology, which was commonly shortened to Soo Tech. The original class consisted of 272 students. The institution was later renamed Lake Superior State College of Michigan Technological University in 1966. The college received autonomy from Michigan Tech. in 1970 and was known as Lake Superior State College until 1987, when the institution was granted university status.[

No two different schools, they play each other in hockey upper there.

Anyway, I take umbrage w/calling it the "snowiest schools in the USA." If that is the case, include Alaska. It does appear the list is skewed towards NY and the east, then they had to add MTU. The UP does get dumped on, like I said, they can get it from all angles up there. MTU @ 200 AVERAGE is huge, there is no denying that. That is the all time record for places like Buffalo, Syracuse in the 1970's.

To add a little Yooper humor: (Edit: better version):

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=50IgzksUqpQ

they are different schools now...but i said 'was a satellite campus of MTU'

Interesting... I never knew, good find, thanks!

They should still rank NOW as separate schools... :-P

I still think the list is skewed to the eastern schools. Must be a consensus! ;-P You know how those enviro/weather-climate nuts get! ;-P

I am doing this (bump) for you Pooj! It is for your own good! :nana:

If this list wasn't bogus, the UP of Michigan would shatter the top spots. Looks like W/CNY takes another back seat.

Marquette, MI gets 113" a year on average... Why isn't Northern Michigan University on the list (and no, I am not an alumnus or on facilty... :nana: ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Michigan_University