BB's QB's QBR's in 2013

boyst

I had posted this in another thread (the Rodrak fan club thread). I figured it might be worth it's own thread because of the amount of information in it.

Not once did EJ Manuel get in the top 20% of all performances for the year. He got in @ 21%.

34 other teams QB's were ranked in the top 100 performances @ QBR for the year.

Manning

Kaep

Rivers

Palmer

Romo

Dalton

Cutler

Brady

Ryan

Stafford

Fitzpatrick

Brees

Weeden

Griffin

McCown

Cousins

Wilson

Cassel

Campbell

Foles

Locker

the other Manning

Rodgers

Tannehill

A.Smith

Roethlisberger

Flacco

Keenum

Schaub

Glennon

Pryor

Newton

Hoyer

G.Smith

____

Geno Smith had 1 top 20% performance. Many of the other QB's were listed more then once, including Fitzpatrick (14th and 44th). Tannehill had two positions, 40 and 42. Romo 5th and 48th. Dalton 7th, 13th.

EJ's first appearance was 2nd lowest among starters, at 111th. Ponder was rated lower at 127th but Cassel finished higher twice (29th and 103rd).

In fact, our entire QB roster finished quite poorly:

111 Car

190 Jax

213 @Mia (Thad Lewis)

242 NYJ

246 NE

304 @NO (Thad Lewis)

327 Cin (Thad Lewis)

346 @NYJ

378 @NE (Thad Lewis)

390 Mia (Thad Lewis)

401 @Cle

404 Bal

432 ATL

459 KC (Jeff Tuel)

475 @TB

489 @Pit

511 @Cle (Jeff Tuel)

of 256 games, or 512 starting QB's in competition, 519 QB performances graded. The stats above only show 17 QB's performances with both Manuels and Tuel's Cleveland game performances.

Take from this what you will. It doesn't definitively draw a conclusion that our QB performance was sub par because stat lines mean so much. However, we can all agree that the Carolina game might have been EJ's best game and it clearly shows in his QBR. He was clutch at the end and made good decisions in that game.

Edited by jboyst62

With all due respect, this is flawed IMO. Is Geno's performance against the Bills starting Justin Rogers & a bunch of injuries better than Manuel's against arguably the best D in the NFL really better?

Also, this doesn't take the actually game in effect. Manuel could have padded his stats against the Jets the 2nd game but the Bills were cruising.

Basically, for a rookie QB, the 2nd Jets game, the Carolina game, & the Jags after the awful 1st quarter were strong EJ performances. The TB, Pitt, and 1st Jets game were awful. The rest were inbetween. And personally, that's what I think u get from a rookie the majority of the time.

Holy Crap, I just realized Andrew Luck and Cam Newton did not turn in a top QBR performance for any game either. Newton's highest rating was 140, followed by 144, 158, 224, 232, 253, 270, 286, 307, 312, 314, 319, 336, 365...and so on.

Luck appears at 130, 199, 204, 259, 269, 331, 363, 368, 369, 370, 386, 388...

With all due respect, this is flawed IMO. Is Geno's performance against the Bills starting Justin Rogers & a bunch of injuries better than Manuel's against arguably the best D in the NFL really better?

Also, this doesn't take the actually game in effect. Manuel could have padded his stats against the Jets the 2nd game but the Bills were cruising.

Basically, for a rookie QB, the 2nd Jets game, the Carolina game, & the Jags after the awful 1st quarter were strong EJ performances. The TB, Pitt, and 1st Jets game were awful. The rest were inbetween. And personally, that's what I think u get from a rookie the majority of the time.

look above. I don't know what it means if anything, but it's amazing to see that Newton and Luck - two of the games best young QB's they say didn't perform well at QBR's. I know I saw many mistakes by Newton when I watched him play but I really thought I saw a lot of improvement toward the end.

Holy Crap, I just realized Andrew Luck and Cam Newton did not turn in a top QBR performance for any game either. Newton's highest rating was 140, followed by 144, 158, 224, 232, 253, 270, 286, 307, 312, 314, 319, 336, 365...and so on.

Good catch. QBR is. A very overrated stat IMO. My favorite qb stat is td to int. Anything else is very subjective.

Good catch. QBR is. A very overrated stat IMO. My favorite qb stat is td to int. Anything else is very subjective.

this

Based on the stats (brought to our attention by JBoyst) Cam Newton and Andrew Luck both suck and don't deserve to be in the playoffs either. But they are.

Stop making me look, I have work to do... :censored:

Newton 24 TD's / 13 INT's = 1.8 TD's per INT

Luck 23 TD's / 9 INT's = 2.55 TD's per INT

Manuel 11 TD's / 9 INT's = 1.22TD's per INT

Newton 473 ATT / 13 INT's = 1 INT per 33.31 passes

Luck 570 ATT / 9 INT's = 1 INT per 56.78 passes

Manuel 306 ATT / 9 INT's = 1 INT per 34.56 passes

Apparantly Luck didn't get that memo this post season, because:

Luck 6 TD's / 7 INT's = 1 INT per .85 TD's

Luck 86 ATT / 7 INT's = 1 INT per 12.29 passes.

this

Based on the stats (brought to our attention by JBoyst) Cam Newton and Andrew Luck both suck and don't deserve to be in the playoffs either. But they are.

see above... whats that say about Luck? Honestly, he doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs with a pick every 13 passes. Edited by jboyst62

Stop making me look, I have work to do... :censored:

Newton 24 TD's / 13 INT's = 1.8 TD's per INT

Luck 23 TD's / 9 INT's = 2.55 TD's per INT

Manuel 11 TD's / 9 INT's = 1.22TD's per INT

Newton 473 ATT / 13 INT's = 1 INT per 33.31 passes

Luck 570 ATT / 9 INT's = 1 INT per 56.78 passes

Manuel 306 ATT / 9 INT's = 1 INT per 34.56 passes

Apparantly Luck didn't get that memo this post season, because:

Luck 6 TD's / 7 INT's = 1 INT per .85 TD's

Luck 86 ATT / 7 INT's = 1 INT per 12.29 passes.

see above... whats that say about Luck? Honestly, he doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs with a pick every 13 passes.

I think that's the biggest knock on Luck. He seems to throw a ton of picks. Besides, the TB game, EJ took good care of the ball.

But the other side is that Luck takes a lot of ***** down field. I believe he only completed 54% of his passes as a rookie. It's why I think the Jags game was very important EJ. He had a terrible quarter after a bad game. Yet, he finished the game great. Says a lot about his mental toughness.

IMO, to maximize this offense, it should be like the 49ers. Run first, then hit the big pass. And if the Bills get a big wr/ TE, they could easily follow that formula.

I wish EJ would take a lot of sh$$$ downfield.

But on a serious note. You guys look way too into the numbers. Cam and Luck make throws EJ doesn't even think are there. They throw receivers open. EJ throws to open receivers. It's a GIANT difference and the difference between a college QB and an NFL one. I hope he pans out. But it's looking really bad. His accuracy is **** even when his WRs are open. What's his ceiling? Not very high. It's not that receivers aren't open. It's that he thinks they're not. And lacks the ability to make them. The int stat is so skewed. It's why he struggles mightily to throw for 200 yards. In the NFL! Fitz didn't even have this problem. I'm not a fitz fan but he is better than ej will ever be.

Edited by BuffaloBill
Remove profanity though it was funny

I think that's the biggest knock on Luck. He seems to throw a ton of picks. Besides, the TB game, EJ took good care of the ball.

But the other side is that Luck takes a lot of ***** down field. I believe he only completed 54% of his passes as a rookie. It's why I think the Jags game was very important EJ. He had a terrible quarter after a bad game. Yet, he finished the game great. Says a lot about his mental toughness.

IMO, to maximize this offense, it should be like the 49ers. Run first, then hit the big pass. And if the Bills get a big wr/ TE, they could easily follow that formula.

Uh, someone got past the profanity blocker with a typo.

But on a serious note. You guys look way too into the numbers. Cam and Luck make throws EJ doesn't even think are there. They throw receivers open. EJ throws to open receivers. It's a GIANT difference and the difference between a college QB and an NFL one. I hope he pans out. But it's looking really bad. His accuracy is **** even when his WRs are open. What's his ceiling? Not very high. It's not that receivers aren't open. It's that he thinks they're not. And lacks the ability to make them. The int stat is so skewed. It's why he struggles mightily to throw for 200 yards. In the NFL! Fitz didn't even have this problem. I'm not a fitz fan but he is better than ej will ever be.

Wow - that last sentence is a tough one to wrap my head around. We'll see I guess.

lol

here's QBs sorted by QBR this year

Manning

Rivers

Brees

Foles

Rodgers

Kaepernick

Cutler

Luck

Ryan

Brady

Romo

Wilson

Newton

Dalton

Fitzpatrick

Roethlisberger

Stafford

Palmer

Ponder

McGloin

Smith

Cassel

Bradford

Flacco

Tannehill

Glennon

Manuel

Griffin

Campbell

Clemens

Schaub

Manning

Geno

Keenum

Henne

Pryor

Weeden

Flynn

it's not a perfect list but its pretty reasonable for QB play this season

Edited by BuffaloBill

look above. I don't know what it means if anything, but it's amazing to see that Newton and Luck - two of the games best young QB's they say didn't perform well at QBR's. I know I saw many mistakes by Newton when I watched him play but I really thought I saw a lot of improvement toward the end.

This could be why they did not prevail in PO's. It is a team sport but QB play at a high level can help to overcome other team deficiencies.

TD's and INTs are subjective to though. If a team likes to run the ball inside the 10 instead of throwing a QB might not pile up the TDs like some others but it doesn't mean he's not very instrumental in moving the ball down field and scoring.

My favorite QB stat is YPA. Good QBs have a high one and mediocre and bad QBs have a low one - it's almost universal.

Uh, someone got past the profanity blocker with a typo.

The "i" and "o" are right next to each other I swear! That's the last thing I'd want EJ to do!

TD's and INTs are subjective to though. If a team likes to run the ball inside the 10 instead of throwing a QB might not pile up the TDs like some others but it doesn't mean he's not very instrumental in moving the ball down field and scoring.

My favorite QB stat is YPA. Good QBs have a high one and mediocre and bad QBs have a low one - it's almost universal.

True but it also shows how good you take care of the ball. Red zone td % and 3rd down conversion are also good ones.

It's funny because it's true. Did you watch cam and lucks first season? Throw the numbers out. They mean nothing. Russell Wilson threw for 100 yards and won. It's about the throws they are capable of making. Not the stats. The TD throw cam made to Steve smith in the first quarter is an NFL throw. Throwing to a wide open receiver is not what it's about. How many wide open receivers did you see in yesterday's games? Go watch the film. EJ and Fitz are both good back ups. Nothing more.

Edited by develop818