Bills need to tighten run Defense

Exactly. Score more points, teams will run less.

I don't think our defense will ever be a top 5 rushing defense team. We have too many hybrid pass rushing guys and too much age/contract issues on our D. Say we go all out and draft defensive players next year. Unless two of them are bonafide stars right off the bat, we'll be better, but probably not top 10. You need luck as much luck as draft skill in order to put together a great defensive unit and the Bills aren't too great in either category.

Chan, haven't you heard of ball control? Experts always say to beat the Brady's, Manning's and Kelly's you keep them off the field by controlling the ball/run game. Remember SB XXV.

And thanks for misusing Marshawn Lynch when he was here Chan.

Go get Brandon Spikes. According to Rotoworld they could be fed up with his antics in New England.

The hell with Brandon Spikes! Get me Khalil Mack!

And then you get beaten by the majority of the league who employ a pass first approach. The Jets, while being the best in the league vs. the run, had some trouble stopping the pass and as such their D wasn't as dominant as it could have been. In fact, the Bills allowed fewer yards per play than the Jets.

Take a look at the Hawks. Their D isn't too different from what Buffalo does. The run a base 4-3 with a mix of 3-4 and they pressure the QB by disguising who is coming. They don't throw a ton of size on the field like you suggest, in fact their DL is kind of small. What they do have are players who are more disciplined and don't make the big mistakes that cost the Bills all season.

The Hawks have one of the more dominating NTs in the game right now in Brandon Mebane. He's not small. He does not get all the press, but he is solid and does not get moved around.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

If the Bills have any hope of beating New England to win the Division they need to tighten there run Defense. They need to draft a stud run stuffing LB, then draft a OG and TE. The Bills need to see if someone wants to trade up maybe for a WR.

1st Round, TE Jace Amaro

2nd Round,ILB Shane Skov

2nd Round, OT Antonio Richardson

3rd Round, OG Anthony Steen.

4th Round, WR Mike Davis.

love those first 2 picks

Are you saying that Marcel Dareus is undersized? If so, I disagree.

I am not sure that it takes much bigger players, but it definitely requires not leaving gaping holes for RBs to run through. Those holes aren't always caused by DL being man-handled by OL. Sometimes it is defenders not being in the right places

Dareus may not be undersized, but he is not a prototypical NT either. He is however the Bills current best option for playing that 2-gap over center, but he is better suited for shedding blockers and getting upfield.

I guess I am ok with Dareus in the middle, but when Pettine moves him away from the middle (which happens too often for a defense that does not have another DT that can play NT) or when he is getting a break or hurt, the drop off in the middle of the defense is huge. Kyle is not a mauler, neither is Branch, or the other serviceable linemen, and Mario can be blocked on the edge.

I would like to see another road grading run stopper picked up, so you don't lose s much moving Dareus out of the middle, or spelling him.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

a OL blocks 60 times a game.

a WR catches 10 times a game.

the Bills gave up the 4th most sacks in 2013.

You are mostly right. An Oline is SUPPOSED to block 60 times. In Buffalo…not so much. I can't for the life of me understand those who want to Bills to invest more resources at the WR position. And 10 times a game is a Hall of Famer BTW.

Look at the final 4. SF, Seattle and NE run the ball at will. Denver is a fluke as you have one of the greatest and most intelligent QBs of all time. Great teams run and stop the run.

You are mostly right. An Oline is SUPPOSED to block 60 times. In Buffalo…not so much. I can't for the life of me understand those who want to Bills to invest more resources at the WR position. And 10 times a game is a Hall of Famer BTW.

Look at the final 4. SF, Seattle and NE run the ball at will. Denver is a fluke as you have one of the greatest and most intelligent QBs of all time. Great teams run and stop the run.

Here's the funny thing about this statement: Buffalo's running game is every bit as good as the 3 teams you mention. Don't believe me? Look...

YPG Buf - 144.2, SF - 137.6, Sea - 136.8, NE - 129.1

YPC Buf - 4.2, SF - 4.4, Sea - 4.3, NE - 4.4

Rush TDs Buf - 15, SF - 18, Sea - 14, NE - 19

Rushes of 20+ yds Buf - 11, SF - 20 (wow), Sea - 11, NE - 12

Power Success Left Buf - 88%, SF - 28%, Sea - 46%, NE - 38%

Power Success Center Buf - 62%, SF - 67%, Sea - 60%, NE - 77%

Power Success Right Buf - 55%, SF - 62%, Sea - 44%, NE - 73%

*EDIT: all stats are per NFL.com*

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2013&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Run defense is kind of the same situation, as it's completely hit=or-miss as to whether or not the teams that stop the run make the playoffs. The top 5 run defenses in YPC were the Jets, Cardinals, Rams, Ravens, and Giants...not one playoff team.

Almost no difference at all in the 4 running games.

There's no mystery in the NFL, if you have a great QB and can rush the passer, you're going to win games. 9 of the top 12 teams in terms of sacks made the playoffs, and 2 that didn't were Buffalo and St. Louis, who both had QB issues (both injury and consistency) this year. The 3rd was Arizona, who went 10-6.

Same token on the other side of the ball, where the 7 of the top 10 teams in passing yards made the playoffs, and the 3 that didn't were Atlanta, Detroit, and Chicago, all of whom ranked in the bottom 5 in the NFL in sacks.

Throw the ball well and pressure the QB; that's how to win in today's NFL.

Edited by thebandit27

I think the Bills need a bigger veteran MLB

Agree the Bills need quality veteran pick-ups as OL (two, maybe three), LB, TE, back up CB, back-up QB and WR, a big fat run stuffer to go with Dareus would not hurt either. Rookies will not get us in the playoffs next year. Rookies that start will cost us at least a game each. Bradham , Moats, Legursky, TJ, Hogan, will all say bye bye.

NO it comes down to scheme. Watch the Jets. They throw 3-4 DTs on the field at once. We put out an undersized Kyle Williams, and Dareus and expect to stop them. No sir. You need 3 or 4 big guys plus 2 ends to hold the edge. A 5 man line to eat up the Pats blockers. Then you need good LB play & a SS crashing down that can tackle.

I like this 5 big bodies one MLB, three safeties and 2 corners. Like the 46 but bigger.

I'd rather be winning at the end of the game. Then the other team wont be running.

1 - Mike Evans, WR

2 - Troy Niklas, TE

My guess is you could take the NFL's top two WRs and the top TE from 2013 and if you have EJ, Lewis or Tuel throwing to them, the result would be...6-10. Unless and until one of these guys develops into a reliable NFL QB or a new QB is brought in, don't waste your time wishin' and hopin' that a couple of more receivers or a couple of more linemen will magically propel the Bills into the upper echelon of NFL teams. And as the Bills are committed to giving EJ at least one more season to prove he either does or does not have "it," the first one or two picks in the upcoming draft should focus on upgrading the D's run-stopping ability. That at least is fairly easily fixable. As to the Offense, the most critical needs (aside from a good QB) are not receivers but a LG and just maybe a RT and RG. In any case, I personally wouldn't expend the #9 pick on any of those slots.

They have to get better at the point of attack on defense. A DT/DE that can stuff the run and break up the blocking and a LB that fills the gap and can shed O linemen to make the tackle. The Bills have talent but no players that fit this bill. Draft and or FA can fill these 2 needs.