Crossman Retained

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crossman over-reaction is comical. if we had ended the season with the win against Mia or jax-- where the ST played reasonably well-- no one would have really been beating this drum.

I think you are underselling the obvious shortcomings all year. And his terrible résumé. And not giving posters credit for being able to think more than one week at a time. there were quite a few a year ago that said "looks like a TERRIBLE hire but lets hope for the best" and it went worse than even I expected as someone that thought poorly of him. The threads about axing him popped up repeatedly this season, before the final game. It was a bad move that was proven wrong and now we are doubling down on it for another year.

And don't point out Crossman's history at Detroit or Carolina. Maybe you all feel he should not have been hired in the first place, but Marrone disagreed and one year is typically not enough time to quit on someone trying to build something. If Marrone thought Crossman was a fail, he'd fire him now to save himself, not keep him around and have his "old friend" screw up his career-- that don't make walkin' around sense. Marrone might be wrong, but people have no quality information to judge the situation, and Marrone does.

This a ridiculous statement. How can you not look at past history? Not only you have past history and then ad the fact that the team went fom 8th in league to freaking 30th. That is 30th out of 32. Or a drop of 24 spots. There is no excuse for that. If it was 15th, than ok, let's give it another year.

Credit to DaBills4Life from the BBMB forum. Something to consider.

He wasnt fired because he didnt deserve to be fired after 1 year in Buffalo. Once again I will post it' date=' and will keep posting. Coverage was fine, our return O was a problem.

[b']2013 Punt coverage with Moorman - 8th ranked - 0 TD allowed (2012 - 32nd ranked - 2 TD allowed)

2013 Kick coverage for the year - 17th ranked - 0 TD allowed (2012 - 9th ranked - 1 TD allowed)[/b]

2013 Kick Return - 29th ranked - 0 TD for (2012 - 4th ranked - 1 TD for)

2013 Punt Return - 29th ranked - 0 TD for (2012 - 1st ranked - 2 TD for)

Edited by Bangarang

It's really amazing how Brandon can sit back and just watch this play out. We've seen this show before, over and over, and it just doesn't end up well. And this is not only a Bills phenomena. Look all over the NFL, if you can't adapt, your career will be cut short.

Relevant: how much credit does Crossman deserve for the dynamite year Carpenter had? Is there more to his position than coverages and return schemes?

please tell me you are kidding - Carpenter kicks the ball through the uprights (zero coaching influence) and more often than not has demonstrated the leg to kick deep enough in the end zone for a touchback (again, zero coaching)

I think you are underselling the obvious shortcomings all year. And his terrible résumé. And not giving posters credit for being able to think more than one week at a time. there were quite a few a year ago that said "looks like a TERRIBLE hire but lets hope for the best" and it went worse than even I expected as someone that thought poorly of him. The threads about axing him popped up repeatedly this season, before the final game. It was a bad move that was proven wrong and now we are doubling down on it for another year.

There were threads all year that popped up here and there about Crossman's shortcomings, but nothing like the post-season crusade that everyone has been on.

The fact is that if we didn't end the season on the New England loss, there would be a lot more people buying into Marrone's idea of getting more core players and giving Crossman another year.

It's classic recency effect, combined with another horrible loss to the Patriots, that has caused everyone to go on this crusade against Crossman.

Look, I am not defending the guy. I questioned the hire from the beginning, and think he did a poor job (and said so at times this year too). But I am not going to "lose faith" in Marrone or compare him to "Greggo," or think he is into cronyism because he decided to keep Crossman.

It's easy to call for a guy to get fired but I don't see anybody talking about a suitable replacement.

Unless I missed it pin the 14 pages.

the heart of the matter is it not ?

and as i previously mentioned, did marrone have many options coming in ? I might guess, not

The fact is that if we didn't end the season on the New England loss, there would be a lot more people buying into Marrone's idea of getting more core players and giving Crossman another year.

It's classic recency effect, combined with another horrible loss to the Patriots, that has caused everyone to go on this crusade against Crossman.

I agree with this part of what you said especially the recency effect. But the fact is that you have to consider the entire year's body of work when evaluating the guy. You can't just drop his bad plays or bad games and then say he was alright. I have seen people (not you) do that here repeatedly with Ej for example where they say he played nearly perfect in the Jax game if you drop the first quarter. LoL funny stuff. You can't drop any bad plays when evaluating whether someone played bad or good. That is the whole point.

After considering the full year, Crossman's results are poor. There is no denying it. That gives people the right to want to hold him accountable somehow instead just trying to overlook it or sweep it under the rug.

Edited by PolishDave

the heart of the matter is it not ?

and as i previously mentioned, did marrone have many options coming in ? I might guess, not

I don't claim to have a Rolodex of special teams coordinators - and admittedly know crossman specifically because he was all time historically bad last year (and underwhelming in charge of units I regularly saw in New Orleans) not because I can rattle off 30 names but...

Could look to assistants on top units - guys like Nick Sorenson in Seattle who's a short résumé but an impressive unit, or possibly a Kevin odea in kc who has a longer career that I'm admittedly less familiar with.

Coordinators on fired HC staffs - Chris tabor with the browns could be a good fit. Led a middle of the pack unit there, and was an asst in Chicago before that.

Or even college guys.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't claim to have a Rolodex of special teams coordinators - and admittedly know crossman specifically because he was all time historically bad last year (and underwhelming in charge of units I regularly saw in New Orleans) not because I can rattle off 30 names but...

Could look to assistants on top units - guys like Nick Sorenson in Seattle who's a short résumé but an impressive unit, or possibly a Kevin odea in kc who has a longer career that I'm admittedly less familiar with.

Coordinators on fired HC staffs - Chris tabor with the browns could be a good fit. Led a middle of the pack unit there, and was an asst in Chicago before that.

Or even college guys.

Mike Priefer of the fired Vikings staff would be a good get. Though he's currently embroiled in that Kluwe controversy.

I agree with this part of what you said especially the recency effect. But the fact is that you have to consider the entire year's body of work when evaluating the guy. You can't just drop his bad plays or bad games and then say he was alright. I have seen people (not you) do that here repeatedly with Ej for example where they say he played nearly perfect in the Jax game if you drop the first quarter. LoL funny stuff. You can't drop any bad plays when evaluating whether someone played bad or good. That is the whole point.

After considering the full year, Crossman's results are poor. There is no denying it. That gives people the right to want to hold him accountable somehow instead just trying to overlook it or sweep it under the rug.

I agree with this. Like I said, I thought he did a bad job. I think there are ample grounds to fire him.

I guess I am more bothered with the melodramatic reaction by the fans. It's a poor decision to keep him, but the world will not end if we do.