We took Aaron Williams over Andy Dalton

boyst

Is the point of a season just to get to the playoffs?

And If he isn't going to play to a level that advances the team in the playoffs, whats the point?

They have given him just about all the tools a team can give a young QB and it has resulted in an 0-3 playoff record. Hell, Mark Sanchez took 2 Jets teams further than Andy Dalton ever has and I think we can both agree Mark Sanchez is below average.

Heh, so only QBs that can carry teams to a Superbowl victory are worth keeping? You guys win, this conversation is just nuts.

If you can't carry a team to Superbowl nirvana, you suck. Flacco, Dilfer and Eli say hi.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree that put Dalton in the Bills team and we would autmotically have made the play-offs this season. I think putting AJ Green in the Bills team would be much more likely to deliver that. Because all I saw Dalton do in big games the Benglas won was force the ball to Green over and over and he makes incredible catch after incredible catch (although he, like his Quarterback, is yet to really show in post-season play). And I'm with what was said above. I'd rather take a guy whose ceiling might be higher than below the middle of the pack than someone who after three years still ranks at best as a middle of the pack QB.

If you can't carry a team to Superbowl nirvana, you suck. Flacco, Dilfer and Eli say hi.

Trent Dilfer is a bit before my time as an avid NFL viewer, but I'd take Flacco and Eli over Dalton every single day.

Edited by GunnerBill

Heh, so only QBs that can carry teams to a Superbowl victory are worth keeping? You guys win, this conversation is just nuts.

Except Joe Flacco actually made it to the AFC Finals his rookie year and in the following year made it to the divisional round. He's made it to 2 AFC Championship games. He's had success in the playoffs prior to his Super Bowl win.

Eli Manning has been to the playoffs 3 times. Twice he's won a Super Bowl, so he's 2-3 in that aspect. Not bad.

Andy Dalton has been to the playoffs 3 times. He has played horribly each time and the Bengals haven't been close to winning. If he had played decent to good in any of the 3 games, they would have gone onto the next round. He didn't even throw a TD in the playoffs until this year.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

"Good is the enemy of great". Marvin Lewis, Dalton and the Bengals are GOOD, they will never be great. You watch, no changes to Cincy coaching or Cincy QB this off-season, and they'll be the same next year as this year, a 9,10 or 11 win team that loses in first round. To a lot of fans, that's acceptable. Hell, to Bills fans that's progress. But, in the end, the objective is to be great -- get to a SuperBowl and hopefully WIN one. The Cowboys are in a similar situation, 8-8 for 3 straight years, not quite good, but not bad enough to realize they need a different coach/QB. This is not to suggest the Bills situation is better, but at least when you lose, you make changes and try something else. When you win 8, 9 or 10, you tend to stick it out, and worse yet, waste precious time. Cincy has a very good defense, an All-Pro WR and decent offensive supporting cast -- they have an average NFL QB and average NFL coach. They will NEVER get to SuperBowl with that combination.

You just automatically shot down your own argument since all those QBs made it to at least one Superbowl and ended up winning it.

You just automatically shot down your own argument since all those QBs made it to at least one Superbowl and ended up winning it.

To me, it's not whether you carried your team to SuperBowl, it's whether you are capable of doing it -- it takes a team and there have been franchise QB's that were victims of their team's limitations that I'd take in heart beat --- Dan Marino is good example, even though he only went to ONE SuperBowl his rookie year, he was clearly capable of multiple SB's and is a franchise QB --- there are also exceptions to the rule the other way, look at Dilfer, no way was he a franchise QB, but he did win a SB ----

To me, it's not whether you carried your team to SuperBowl, it's whether you are capable of doing it -- it takes a team and there have been franchise QB's that were victims of their team's limitations that I'd take in heart beat --- Dan Marino is good example, even though he only went to ONE SuperBowl his rookie year, he was clearly capable of multiple SB's and is a franchise QB --- there are also exceptions to the rule the other way, look at Dilfer, no way was he a franchise QB, but he did win a SB ----

Yes. That it does. Though, a lot of posters here would say otherwise :P

Isn't this thread about taking Williams over Dalton?

We drafted AW. He is a good Safety. We did not draft Dalton. He is a good QB. He is not good enough to win a playoff game yet. He has performed very poorly in each post season game he has participated in. He may or may not have made the playoffs on a different team. Yes, I can criticize Dalton without it being a reflection on the Bills' decision to draft AW "over" Dalton, as it is they had the position need/player grade higher for AW than they did for Dalton. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

It took A Williams 3 Defensive Coordinators and two plus years to get the hang of playing football .

This year he appeared borderline pro bowl material. He claims its because he has his confidence back.

I gotta think getting the player coach fit is one of the biggest contributors to success in the NFL . Even moreso at the QB

position .

Dalton falls down Williams rises. Thats the NFL for ya

It took A Williams 3 Defensive Coordinators and two plus years to get the hang of playing football .

This year he appeared borderline pro bowl material. He claims its because he has his confidence back.

I gotta think getting the player coach fit is one of the biggest contributors to success in the NFL . Even moreso at the QB

position .

Dalton falls down Williams rises. Thats the NFL for ya

This is very true... interestingly, Dalton's OC is getting HC interviews. So he is looked upon as one of the best in the biz (FWIW I thought he didn't call a very good game on Sunday). Perhaps if he leaves and is replaced, Dalton may thrive. It does make a difference... as does system. One thing that is tough to argue with when it comes to Dalton is that he doesn't have much to work with, while other QBs who are advancing are doing it with significantly less.

This is very true... interestingly, Dalton's OC is getting HC interviews. So he is looked upon as one of the best in the biz (FWIW I thought he didn't call a very good game on Sunday). Perhaps if he leaves and is replaced, Dalton may thrive. It does make a difference... as does system. One thing that is tough to argue with when it comes to Dalton is that he doesn't have much to work with, while other QBs who are advancing are doing it with significantly less.

I dont think Dalton has dealt well with pressure and lacks confidence .

He may not ever get that abilty.

Aaron responded very well to coaching up.

May i suggest that other new players on the Bills will also get on track . This coming year. Mckelvin turned himself completely around and has confidence , he has said as much also.

Dalton looked like he knew he would fail after his first int. Is that coaching ?

sorry if am getting off track

Not sarcasm at all, nor ill feelings. It is just a reminder that we are fans. We are too close to the team to look around the league and see other teams mess up, too. In our judgements we react quickly and impatiently, as we should do because we're fans.

While Sage is correct in his statement we could look at this further. If we drafted Dalton we'd still likely head in to 2014 needing a starting QB as badly as we do currently. The end result would be the same, more or less, with the position.

Yes, all teams make mistakes. But none with the frequency of the Buffalo Bills. Last I checked, Dalton was choking (again), but in the Playoffs. We have the longest drought in the NFL.

I dont think Dalton has dealt well with pressure and lacks confidence .

He may not ever get that abilty.

Aaron responded very well to coaching up.

May i suggest that other new players on the Bills will also get on track . This coming year. Mckelvin turned himself completely around and has confidence , he has said as much also.

Dalton looked like he knew he would fail after his first int. Is that coaching ?

sorry if am getting off track

How is Marvin Lewis still the Bengals coach. Year after year of underachievement from that team.

Yes, all teams make mistakes. But none with the frequency of the Buffalo Bills. Last I checked, Dalton was choking (again), but in the Playoffs. We have the longest drought in the NFL.

How is Marvin Lewis still the Bengals coach. Year after year of underachievement from that team.

Marvin Lewis deserves a lot of credit for putting that roster together and getting the most of those players.

Other than Geno Atkins and AJ Green its not like the roster is loaded with 5 Star recruits and all world players up and down the roster. I mean can you give him some credit for Burfict? I don't think Burfict is an all pro wrecking ball with any other coaching team.

The Problem is there are less than 12 human beings on the planet that can consistently play QB at the level required to go deep into the playoffs and win a Super Bowl and the Bengals don't have one of those human beings.

Marvin Lewis deserves a lot of credit for putting that roster together and getting the most of those players.

Other than Geno Atkins and AJ Green its not like the roster is loaded with 5 Star recruits and all world players up and down the roster. I mean can you give him some credit for Burfict? I don't think Burfict is an all pro wrecking ball with any other coaching team.

The Problem is there are less than 12 human beings on the planet that can consistently play QB at the level required to go deep into the playoffs and win a Super Bowl and the Bengals don't have one of those human beings.

That was a good signing. The truth is that Lewis is not going anywhere in Cincy. The Bengals were the bottom-dwelling, irrelevant Bungles before he got there and since he has been there they have gone from being a joke to being a contender. Mike Brown will not risk a coaching change because of the risk/reward of potentially going backwards instead of forwards. He knows what he has in Lewis and while that may not be good enough for the fans and media, he is making money, his team is relevant. and I think he would make a QB change before a HC change.

"I think it is so funny how we forget this is a team sport. QB is a major part of the team, the biggest part, but this is still a team sport. People here can't grasp this pretty easy concept it seems" Amen. Another common sense view is always welcomed.

Edited by 75Bills

"I think it is so funny how we forget this is a tram sport. QB is a major part of the team, the biggest part, but this is still a team sport. People here can't grasp this pretty easy concept it seems" Amen. Another common sense view is always welcomed.

I for one consistently forget that it is a "tram" sport.