Late round sleepers

Each year I like to watch and see who the "under-the-radar, he's not fast enough, character-issue" sleeper might be. Other posters have recently suggested there have been too many of these guys passed over for a variety of uncredited reasons. I think it's time to start taking chances on guys like this in the later rounds.

Vontaze Burfict andTyrann Mathieu are both guys that were discredited for character reasons and have cashed in great for their teams.

Who is this years sleeper going to be? Are the Bills going to be that team to take a risk?

Former Oregon TE Colt Lyerla pleads guilty to cocaine possession

Posted by Chris Huston on December 28, 2013, 7:55 PM EST

lyerla.jpg?w=170

Getty Images

Former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla, who left the Ducks’ program back in October, pled guilty to cocaine possession on Friday.

He was placed on probation for two years and sentenced to 10 days in jail, with another 10 days on suspension. He’ll also have to enroll in a drug treatment program.

However, the decision by the judge to have him serve his probation under the court rather than under a probation officer means he’ll be able to leave the state to prepare for the NFL draft. He plans on doing so in Nevada.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/28/former-oregon-te-colt-lyerla-pleads-guilty-to-cocaine-possession/

Another more detailed article re: Colt Lyerla

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000269364/article/former-oregon-te-colt-lyerla-poses-dilemma-for-nfl-teams

Edited by uncle flap

Guys with character issues definitely take a little extra thought when it comes to drafting them, but it doesn't mean that can't learn from their mistakes.

Bruce Smith was suspended for four games in 1988 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, believed to be cocaine. Bruce wasn't an angel, but I think he learned from his mistake. We have to remember that these guys are in their late teens or early 20's when they're drafted. Being good at football doesn't make them infallible. I think all of us can look back on their teens/twenties and think of at least one stupid thing that we'd like to forget about.

Same for these guys. Some learn from their mistakes, some don't. The hard part is guessing correctly as to whether or not a player can move on.

Edited by gobillsinytown

For those who aren't familiar with Lyerla, here's his highlight film from last year. Very impressive, IMO.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think this guy is the epitome of the troubled guy you want to roll the dice on. Not sure how he'd fit in with Marrone seemingly being quite the disciplinarian, but maybe that's what Lyerla needs.

If he's still there in round 4, I think you run to the podium. Fair chance he might not be though.

If he's still there in round 4, I think you run to the podium. Fair chance he might not be though.

I agree with 4th round. Personally, I think Lyerla is a lost cause, but at that point you're taking a chance with talent, might as well take a chance with attitude instead.

Lyerla is someone the Bills definitely should get in a later round. He will be drafted I'm guessing in the 5-7 range.

In terms of other guys, QB Savage from PITT is someone I would bring in as an undrafted FA, or even 7th round pick. He has the arm, and can throw accurate passes with defenders all over him. Anyone who watched the Pitt v. SU game knows what I'm talking about. He played like that all year. He has the tools to be great. Hasn't shown a ton yet, but this is why we can get him later in the draft or undraftted FA.

There's a joke in here somewhere.

People are up in arms over letting Rogers go. What did he have like 1 catch yesterday. I mean no one said the kid wasn't talented. However, it takes much more than that to make it in this league. I have no problems with the Bills cutting him. He is young and immature a kid who needs to do some growing up. Hopefully, he makes it because he can really become a good player.

People are up in arms over letting Rogers go. What did he have like 1 catch yesterday. I mean no one said the kid wasn't talented. However, it takes much more than that to make it in this league. I have no problems with the Bills cutting him. He is young and immature a kid who needs to do some growing up. Hopefully, he makes it because he can really become a good player.

If he follows in the footsteps of Da'Rick Rogers, Colt Lyeral will be playing for the Colts at this time next year.

He'll make one circus catch in the wild card round and there will be a 38 page thread on him.

:)

Oh, and the Bills will have fired their tight ends coach at the end of next season.