How much faith do you have in M & M?

Gerry

Coach Marrone - Still have not seen enough in the way of results to get on the band wagon. I hope he can be good for us and get us to playoffs but my confidence in him is not real high. The whole "accountability" nonsense sounds like something out of a new age management theory hard back you could buy at the airport book store. My hope level is way higher than my confidence level at this point.

EJ Manuel - I saw some really good things from EJ this year. Some games good, some not so good. You know, like a rookie. He has showed some signs of clutchiness like in the Panthers and Falcons games. With the rest of the talent around him we should be able to have a winning season anyway.

The honeymoon is over. Time to win or go home.

Go BILLS !!

Pretty much agree. If you were somewhat rational, they both had seasons you would expect (minus the injuries). Ups and downs, good and bad moments. For the most part, the Bills were in every game minus 2.

But without a doubt, the bar has been raised. Giving up on a new coach/ QB after one year is flat out crazy. That said, the old 3 year rule is done too. If the Bills are realistically competing for the playoffs next year, I will have 0 problems with changes being made.

:thumbsup: Accountability starts with him and his coaching staff.

What really stinks is this is a great year to draft a QB, and last year was a great year to draft an O lineman.

This QB draft is so overrated, it's not even funny.

:thumbsup: Accountability starts with him and his coaching staff.

What really stinks is this is a great year to draft a QB, and last year was a great year to draft an O lineman.

But this is a huge WR draft, so there's that! This year's QB class is a bit overrated. McShay said there isn't a QB worthy of going in the top 10, but teams are so needy there will 5-6 taken that high.

My expectations that both will be off the team two seasons from now.

It's depressing to think that, but I haven't really seen much from either that isn't "more of the same" for us.

We'll see if we can plug holes this off season, and if Manuel improves, and if Marrone pulls his head out of his ass.

Good article posted in another thread about all 3 rookie QB season.... very objective and discusses the offense EJ is in and what he and Marrone can do in the off-season. Interestingly, "mechanics" aren't really the problem according to this writer.

http://www.sportsone...ticle/64557588/

Good read.

My expectations that both will be off the team two seasons from now.

It's depressing to think that, but I haven't really seen much from either that isn't "more of the same" for us.

We'll see if we can plug holes this off season, and if Manuel improves, and if Marrone pulls his head out of his ass.

Good read.

You honestly think what you watched this year was "more of the same"? I can understand from a record standpoint, but don't you think it was at least much better football defensively and that this team has much more talent than in years past because of what Whaley and company did last off season?

Maronne -game plan in place, not flying by the seat of his pants

Manuel -great tools and smartly brought along slowly

I love the inexperience of Marrone - take a peek at nfl playoffs Chuck Pagano, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton , Mike McCoy, Chip Kelly, what's their experience ? Not starting a rookie QB either

I don't think the Bills intended to start EJ this past season, or at least not until well into the season. I seem to remember lots of talk after the draft that he had a very high upside but needed work to develop. Kolb's injuries obviously changed all of that. If the plan all along was to use the rookie season as a "study and develop" time, with an eye to the second year, then EJ is "on schedule" and even a little bit ahead by having started this year. I'm willing to reserve final judgment on EJ until next year.

If there is a screw up factor here, it has to do with making the highly injury-prone Kolb the key to buying EJ a training year. In hindsight, it might have been more sensible to have just kept Fitz for another year. Oh well.

I don't think the Bills intended to start EJ this past season, or at least not until well into the season. I seem to remember lots of talk after the draft that he had a very high upside but needed work to develop. Kolb's injuries obviously changed all of that. If the plan all along was to use the rookie season as a "study and develop" time, with an eye to the second year, then EJ is "on schedule" and even a little bit ahead by having started this year. I'm willing to reserve final judgment on EJ until next year.

If there is a screw up factor here, it has to do with making the highly injury-prone Kolb the key to buying EJ a training year. In hindsight, it might have been more sensible to have just kept Fitz for another year. Oh well.

Agree with your post except Fitz wasn't coming back under any circumstances because the Bills wanted him to take a pay cut.

But Tarvaris Jackson who we already had, was an ideal veteran placeholder/mentor for EJ.

Jackson has arguably had a better NFL career than Kolb and would have cost the Bills a hell of a lot less money than Kolb.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Good article posted in another thread about all 3 rookie QB season.... very objective and discusses the offense EJ is in and what he and Marrone can do in the off-season. Interestingly, "mechanics" aren't really the problem according to this writer.

http://www.sportsone...ticle/64557588/

It is a good read but he's way off in thinking that EJ's accuracy issues aren't mechanics. Anybody who has watched the kid can see he doesn't always get his feet set and square his shoulders when throwing. When he does his accuracy issues magically disappear.

Otherwise his assessment is pretty much spot on. If EJ can fix his accuracy issues (by being more consistent with his footwork) the guy has everything else you want in a QB.

Agree with your post except Fitz wasn't coming back under any circumstances because the Bills wanted him to take a pay cut.

But Tarvaris Jackson who we already had, was an ideal veteran placeholder/mentor for EJ.

Jackson has arguably had a better NFL career than Kolb and would have cost the Bills a hell of a lot less money than Kolb.

Totally agree with your comment on Jackson, which I have made many times. This was a major screw up by the Bills braintrust, who simply thought that Kolb was better, even though he is injury prone. One has to wonder what the W/L record would have been if Jackson had been the backup.

You honestly think what you watched this year was "more of the same"? I can understand from a record standpoint, but don't you think it was at least much better football defensively and that this team has much more talent than in years past because of what Whaley and company did last off season?

We got better defensively, definitely. But offense is still stagnant. Unless our defense becomes historical, we're still going to be looking at losing seasons, if we have such a mediocre offense. We need Manuel to step up. We need Marrone to make better roster choices. We need our FO to fill gaps in our roster without creating new ones. We go through this every coaching change. First year some changes are made that are different than the previous staff, but we still have a losing record. Since there's change though, we got all sorts of hope. I'm tired of hope.

I'm not believing Brandon's sales pitch a second longer.

Show me results, and I'll Billieve again.

I never believe hype anyways. But I do think it's been a long time since the Bills have had this much individual talent on the roster. They have legit pro bowl talent on almost every level on the team.

I never believe hype anyways. But I do think it's been a long time since the Bills have had this much individual talent on the roster. They have legit pro bowl talent on almost every level on the team.

Except for the offense. Besides RB's.

Wood and Glenn have pro bowl talent IMO. I think the whole #1 receiver thing is a bit overrated, but if Stevie and Woods are your #2 and #3, they are as good as anyone in the game. TE needs an upgrade and I would like a big time WR. Also, EJ is the biggest part. But there are plenty of good pieces.

Well this is supposed to be a very good WR draft year. If the Bills shore up that position, get some O-line help, and with some luck land a decent every down RB (Spiller certainly is not one and Fred isn't getting any younger) a lot of the offensive problems could be addressed. The remaining "big ifs" would then be Hackett and of course, Manuel.

Well this is supposed to be a very good WR draft year. If the Bills shore up that position, get some O-line help, and with some luck land a decent every down RB (Spiller certainly is not one and Fred isn't getting any younger) a lot of the offensive problems could be addressed. The remaining "big ifs" would then be Hackett and of course, Manuel.

Agree on basically everything but Spiller. He had a terrible injury and tried to gut it out. He still is explosive as any rb in the NFL. You need Jackson but Spiller was misused. He needs to be catching passes and used like Thurman.

The 2012 Chiefs had several pro bowlers and managed to go 2-14. Certainly a big part of that was QB, but individual talent isn't getting teams over the top unless it includes the QB position, which happens to be the greatest force multiplier on a football field. Having individual talent at G, C, S, RB, LB is nice, but it's not typically winning games.

I don't think the game has changed from being able to throw the ball, protect the guy throwing it, and get after your opponents guy throwing it.

Agree on basically everything but Spiller. He had a terrible injury and tried to gut it out. He still is explosive as any rb in the NFL. You need Jackson but Spiller was misused. He needs to be catching passes and used like Thurman.

This makes two separate NFL coaching staffs that have "misused" Spiller. And if you count how Clemson used him, it could be argued 3 staffs. He's frequently nicked up and while he does gut these injuries out, it's always going to prevent him from getting more touches. And yet, Hackett isn't a fan of using Spiller in the passing game, as evidenced by his 33 catches in 15 games.

The 2012 Chiefs had several pro bowlers and managed to go 2-14. Certainly a big part of that was QB, but individual talent isn't getting teams over the top unless it includes the QB position, which happens to be the greatest force multiplier on a football field. Having individual talent at G, C, S, RB, LB is nice, but it's not typically winning games.

I don't think the game has changed from being able to throw the ball, protect the guy throwing it, and get after your opponents guy throwing it.

This makes two separate NFL coaching staffs that have "misused" Spiller. And if you count how Clemson used him, it could be argued 3 staffs. He's frequently nicked up and while he does gut these injuries out, it's always going to prevent him from getting more touches. And yet, Hackett isn't a fan of using Spiller in the passing game, as evidenced by his 33 catches in 15 games.

Agreed on the first part. Marrone, Manuel, and Hackett need to be better in the 2nd year. They all made rookie mistakes. But with the expection of 3 games (Pitt, TB, 1st Jets), the team was fairly well coached in every game.

And in 2012, Spiller was used right and was a beast. He had 100+ on one of the best defenses in the NFL in Carolina. In 2012, he averaged 10 yards a catch, which is amazing for a rb. At the same time, we have another very talented rb in Jackson. Both guys deserve touches. IMO, he is a better pure runner than Reggie Bush. He just needs to be used more in the passing game and most importantly, stay healthy.