What did you do today?

Just Jack

Hope all is well Mead.

Came to NYC for the holiday weekend with the family.

Friend comped us on Spirit of NYC dinner cruise. Thought it would suck, then massive storms were scheduled, double suck I thought,

We had a great time, pictures and videos of lightning hitting water and Freedom Tower just awesome,

9-11 memorial and museum yesterday....must do for every American if possible. Spent almost 3 hours, still felt prolly missed a ton.

Afternoon exploring and then Dinner in Brooklyn, watched fireworks from Brooklyn Bridge Park with a million of my new friends. WOW, what a fireworks display. First time ever really spent anytime in Brooklyn, very cool!

Getting back to Manhattan piece of cake, this place knows how to handle huge vents.

Hope to go home today. Will have to go slow for for a few more. Then back to work

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gve2ScB.jpg

Piss of a mountain.

hhInwla.jpg

And climb a mountain. If you look close you can see the people on McCrae Peak, that's 5,844 ft. Climbed there, then went higher to take a picture down. 5,946 feet is the peak of Grandfather Mtn. Did about 5 1/2 hours of hiking, then went on the highest swinging bridge in America.

The interesting thing about the mountain is it once recorded 170mph winds but then blue off when the wind picked up so it was unknown just how fast the wind was blowing.

It has been reported that Grandfather Mountain has experienced some of the "highest surface wind speeds ever recorded," with unverified speeds in excess of 200 mph (320 km/h). More recently, Grandfather Mountain has upgraded their wind equipment in order to help resolve controversy over these high wind recordings. Notably however, the new equipment is located on the Swinging Bridge of the attraction. The new instruments may not record the highest wind speeds on the mountain, which extends another 684 vertical feet above the current location of the equipment.

I had no view, but still accomplished climbing a mountain yesterday

post-9-0-55143300-1404669198_thumb.jpg

how far did you go and what was the altitude?

I'll admit we did it pretty sissy like; started at about 4,000 feet. It's hard to really get in there without going to the trail head. You can't run up the road and if you park on the stateside it is a 18 mile trek. It costs $20/person to get in there.

how far did you go and what was the altitude?

I'll admit we did it pretty sissy like; started at about 4,000 feet. It's hard to really get in there without going to the trail head. You can't run up the road and if you park on the stateside it is a 18 mile trek. It costs $20/person to get in there.

It was a 3 mile round trip "hike", on an abandoned trail, so we lost track of it and ended up bushwhacking the last 3/4 mile going up. Going down we found the old trail after a 1/4 mile of BWing, so we were able to see where it was when we lost it on the way up. Only about 1000 feet elev gain, but the last couple hundred feet was steep hill, cliffs, because of losing the trail. And we had to wade across a small river...

post-9-0-58414200-1404672540_thumb.jpg

Cool pictures you got though. That's the one downside of the hikes I've been doing on my lists, is I know there will be no views at the summit.

It was a 3 mile round trip "hike", on an abandoned trail, so we lost track of it and ended up bushwhacking the last 3/4 mile going up. Going down we found the old trail after a 1/4 mile of BWing, so we were able to see where it was when we lost it on the way up. Only about 1000 feet elev gain, but the last couple hundred feet was steep hill, cliffs, because of losing the trail. And we had to wade across a small river...

post-9-0-58414200-1404672540_thumb.jpg

Cool pictures you got though. That's the one downside of the hikes I've been doing on my lists, is I know there will be no views at the summit.

That's the amazing thing about some of the NC parks - the views. The downside is that you settle for easier trails because they're somewhat commercialized. The first mile of every trail is often crowded.

You end up with the system having amazing laddersyou can climb, some literally on the side of a mountain boulder.

McCrae peak, which they are on in the distance, is only accessible with climbing a ladder that lets you climb the rock. It is about 25'.

Here is the friend I went with. Pretty good hike she made, insisting she carry the pack, which was 9 lbs. Which is about 8% of her body weight. She is tiny.

Edited by jboyst62

Anemia, that's what I did. Went to the doc for a routine visit. Bloodwork showed my HGB was 6.2 which is less than half the lower limit of the normal range. Stuck in hospital. Sunday I was golfing.

Is it time for another death watch thread for you?

Anemia, that's what I did. Went to the doc for a routine visit. Bloodwork showed my HGB was 6.2 which is less than half the lower limit of the normal range. Stuck in hospital. Sunday I was golfing.

Hope it goes well, man. And I hope you learn to like the taste of iron pills. :)

Rand ee, hope you are well and resting.

I am in freaking Iowa, drove form O'hare....corn for 200 freaking miles.

I am at the "fancy" restaurant according to the folks at the courtyard ....the Red Lobster

What town in Iowa, if you don't mind me asking? I've been there a few times. I love the town of Wilton, go there, I forget the diner, but it is good. There is also a kickass dirt track near by for a Saturday night race if you like some racin'. Cedar County Raceway.

If you need any ideas for tonics, elixirs, or tinctures; let me know.

You can always have more lavender. Or, just some greens leafy vegetables.

Edited by jboyst62