Good remakes of classic songs

OGTEleven

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i suppose being played on "hell on wheels" doesn't quite make the cut for classic and kat goldman who wrote this is likely considered 'only" a local classic. saw these guys tonight and they make the cut for me, at least we can move on from john edwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYrjiwLngbo

Edited by birdog1960

really great version. i need to check out more of her stuff. this song doesn't really test her range but i get the feeling she has a good one.

I would highly recommend Kelly to anyone who just loves great singers. She is married to a good buddy of mine (Bruce Robison, the guy in the Astros shirt, behind her in the video), and I can say, not exaggerating at all, I have seen her perform live 100+ times...she has an amazing vocal range, and can go from 10 to 100 at the drop of a time, and it is effortless. If there has been a criticism of her over the years (not one I share) it is that she isn't a big enough "show off". She sings what she likes, not what necessarily shows off her voice the most. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, MCA signed her during the Randy Travis/Garth Brooks era of country, and try to promote her as the new "hot thing" in Nashville. Her records were critically acclaimed, and moderate success, but she was notoriously shy, and just didn't ever feel comfortable playing that Nashville princess role... I really like her Nashville era stuff, though it is much slicker than the stuff she chooses to do on her own. After she and Bruce got married, the had a bunch of kids (4) so she dropped out for a while...but she has re-emerged in the last couple years, with a couple of collaborations with Bruce...new album "Our Year" just came out this past week. Both Bruce and Kelly are pretty accomplished songwriters on their own, but the new album is about 3/4 covers (including "Harper Valley PTA")...in fact, the title track is a cover of an old Zombies song. Can't say enough about these people... great people making great records, doing it the way they want to.

And let us not forget John Edwards' version of I Am Woman

John Edwards - I Am Woman:

Wow...that is hideous. For a second I thought it was really Edwards. Or is it?

Reminds me, when I was a kid, my best friend and I used hang out in the backyard, playing on the swings. We would make up stupid lyrics for the songs that were on the radio at the time... Helen Reddy singing "I Am Woman", sort of anthem for the woman's lib movement at the time... we came up with they lryric "I am woman hear me snore, with boobies too big to ignore" "They are BIG (big), they're like basketballs" :lol: We had a great gift to make any song about ta-tas!

My mom was washing dishes with the window open....she heard us. She came flying out to the backyard to order, looking unusually pissed, and ordered us to cease and desist... of course, we were about 8 or 9 at the time..we just thought it was funny because we could say dirty words, and make it fit the song... my mom had heard us do that before, and never said a word...but I guess, looking back, we had just kind of dumbly stumbled upon a simple, but really politically incorrect take on the song, that unwittingly insulted the entire meaning of the real song. It wasn't just the old standard "Hey Jude, I saw you nude, don't try to fake it, I saw you naked"

an unusual remake of a classic:

http://youtu.be/LuJ7yCFTmbs

That is pretty great. I have always been meaning to check out more stuff from these guys.

Edited by Buftex

I would highly recommend Kelly to anyone who just loves great singers. She is married to a good buddy of mine (Bruce Robison, the guy in the Astros shirt, behind her in the video), and I can say, not exaggerating at all, I have seen her perform live 100+ times...she has an amazing vocal range, and can go from 10 to 100 at the drop of a time, and it is effortless. If there has been a criticism of her over the years (not one I share) it is that she isn't a big enough "show off". She sings what she likes, not what necessarily shows off her voice the most. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, MCA signed her during the Randy Travis/Garth Brooks era of country, and try to promote her as the new "hot thing" in Nashville. Her records were critically acclaimed, and moderate success, but she was notoriously shy, and just didn't ever feel comfortable playing that Nashville princess role... I really like her Nashville era stuff, though it is much slicker than the stuff she chooses to do on her own. After she and Bruce got married, the had a bunch of kids (4) so she dropped out for a while...but she has re-emerged in the last couple years, with a couple of collaborations with Bruce...new album "Our Year" just came out this past week. Both Bruce and Kelly are pretty accomplished songwriters on their own, but the new album is about 3/4 covers (including "Harper Valley PTA")...in fact, the title track is a cover of an old Zombies song. Can't say enough about these people... great people making great records, doing it the way they want to.

nice story. great talent doesn't guarantee commercial success and vice versa. i think that's one reason the recent resurgence in music festivals is so great. acts are often booked on word of mouth and insider knowledge. as an aside, is bruce robison related to emily from the dixie chicks?

Delaney and Bonnie's "Superstar" covered by the Carpenter's and then by Sonic Youth. (BTW I don't know why videos won't embed when I post them. :angry:)

when you paste the link on the urls box erase http and the two bars.