Matt Stafford...wow

Big Turk

Stafford throws such a rocket ball it's fun to watch.

He suffers from the Romo Fitz disease though. Brains Short circuit when the game is on the line.

The saddest thing about that exciting football game was that they had Calvin Johnson in single coverage all by himself on that 2 pointer and somehow they missed it. I could not think of a better duo that I would bet my life on to convert a 2 pointer than Megatron single covered with Stafford throwing.

It at least cost them an overtime, possibly the game and the season. 1 play.

I don't know that Stafford is known to short circuit when the game is on the line. To me, is just inconsistent all around. He's engineered some good late drives (that game winning one with the fake spike immediately comes to mind), but he's also put his team in a hole early and just missed on near-comebacks. He's often trying to force throws to Megatron (kinda hard not to) and sometimes that backfires. But let's also not forget Calvin has dropped an uncharacteristic amount of passes this year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you'd be fired as GM in three years.

I highly doubt it. I'm not saying I'd take him number 1, but he'd definitely be in the top 10. When you combine talent, arm strength, on field production, wins, and age, he's close to the top of the list.

How many mistakes have each of made at our jobs when we were 25 and younger?

Exactly.

If I was starting a franchise from scratch I'd take stafford over almost any other QB in the league right now.

I think Stafford can still be a franchise QB (he is really young isn't he, came into the league at 21)? but surprised you would take him over almost anyone. If starting from scratch, I go with Luck.

I think Stafford can still be a franchise QB (he is really young isn't he, came into the league at 21)? but surprised you would take him over almost anyone. If starting from scratch, I go with Luck.

This is his 5th year though. If he was going to show himself to be a true Franchise QB he would have done it by year 6. I can't think of any QB in the modern era that became a true Franchise QB after 5 seasons in the NFL.

This is his 5th year though. If he was going to show himself to be a true Franchise QB he would have done it by year 6. I can't think of any QB in the modern era that became a true Franchise QB after 5 seasons in the NFL.

Yeah, they usually are what they are by year 3 as a QB. He has Megatron which is a blessing and a curse, because no excuses.

There would definitely be guys I'd take before Stafford, I just think he's up there.

Prior to Stafford I'd probably take:

Luck (as you said)

Rogers

Wilson (maybe)

Ryan (maybe)

Brees (probably not because he's getting a little older, but I'd consider it)

It always amazes me how quick everyone is to hold QBs to unrealistic standards. The guy can flat out play. He will learn from his mistakes. The comeback he had this year (I think against Dallas) was a thing of beauty.

There would definitely be guys I'd take before Stafford, I just think he's up there.

Prior to Stafford I'd probably take:

Luck (as you said)

Rogers

Wilson (maybe)

Ryan (maybe)

Brees (probably not because he's getting a little older, but I'd consider it)

It always amazes me how quick everyone is to hold QBs to unrealistic standards. The guy can flat out play. He will learn from his mistakes. The comeback he had this year (I think against Dallas) was a thing of beauty.

Newton, Kaepernick......or if you are talking Brees old, Rivers, Roethisberger?

Newton, Kaepernick......or if you are talking Brees old, Rivers, Roethisberger?

Newton = Definitely. He actually might be top 3.

Not sure about Kaep. I am not sold on him. I mean, I would love him on the Bills but not sure I like him as a top 10 QB.

Dubs he is a looser. Watch the games in more detail you will see the backbreaking INT's

I hate him. Overrated, might be on his way out if Calvin wasn't his teammate. Jmo

I will admit I don't watch the Lions that often. Maybe I'm just mesmerized by the beautiful spirals and cannon arm. I also liked Jeff George so take it for what it's worth.

Newton = Definitely. He actually might be top 3.

Not sure about Kaep. I am not sold on him. I mean, I would love him on the Bills but not sure I like him as a top 10 QB.

I will admit I don't watch the Lions that often. Maybe I'm just mesmerized by the beautiful spirals and cannon arm. I also liked Jeff George so take it for what it's worth.

Huge red flag!!!! I'm guess you were a fan of Jamarcus Russell and Jay Cutler. It takes so much more than a huge arm to be a good QB. Peyton throws a lot of ducks but he always throws it to the right place.

Huge red flag!!!! I'm guess you were a fan of Jamarcus Russell and Jay Cutler. It takes so much more than a huge arm to be a good QB. Peyton throws a lot of ducks but he always throws it to the right place.

I was kidding man

Stafford is in the same league as Cutler. Huge arm and he's just good enough that teams wouldn't give up on him, but short of a truly great defense I don't see either guy taking home a Superbowl ring.

I like Stafford a lot more than Cutler because he isn't a giant d bag like Cutler. Plus, Stafford can party with some hotties. I think Stafford will have a better career than Cutler.

I like Stafford a lot more than Cutler because he isn't a giant d bag like Cutler. Plus, Stafford can party with some hotties. I think Stafford will have a better career than Cutler.

I like Stafford better too, but his interception rate is a major problem for the Lions. He has 71 in 59 starts.

From what I've seen, Stafford is an animal. I know he's prone to mistakes, but the kid is 25. His statistics (I know, I know, not the only thing that matters!) are pretty darn good. He's got 9 game winning drives. He's thrown 108 TDs in 59 games.

I just think that it's shortsighted to call a kid of 25 who has unlimited potential and has shown a good amount of success a bad QB. Let's not forget, in terms of terrible franchises the Lions are in worse shape than the Bills. The primary reason they are better now is because of Stafford.

Stafford is in the same league as Cutler. Huge arm and he's just good enough that teams wouldn't give up on him, but short of a truly great defense I don't see either guy taking home a Superbowl ring.

without a good defense and running game, very few QBs are winning rings. Stafford is the type that like cutler (who got to the NFCCG, or flacco who won it all, or heck eli if he gets hot at the right time) can take a team, roughly of the talent that the lions have, deep into the playoffs if they dont act like idiots and play a clean game. i wouldnt bet on him to go 4 games (playoffs plus SB) mistake free, but few qbs will and it takes some luck to put that run together. ie unlike brady i dont think hes the type to be a superbowl favorite EVERY year, but i think hes a better candidate than an andy dalton to actually get a ring, if the lions were a disciplined team with a good HC.

He wouldnt be my first choice, and ive never been a fan - but i think hes a bit better than a lot think. Ive often wondered if as much of a blessing as Calvin has been for his numbers, if its helped him pick up some bad habits that he wouldnt have otherwise.

I like Stafford better too, but his interception rate is a major problem for the Lions. He has 71 in 59 starts.

given how much more he is throwing than many of his peers, per game may not be as useful as per throw, where i think hes pretty average without double checking